14 Species For The Day Off Botany

Seazar

Hi all.

This is my first report that I am doing due to laziness but here goes....

Great day to be had off botany on Sunday afternoon at 2pm. My ol man & his friend "Scott" & myself. We started off gathering some live bait. Usually not enough but this time caught about 30. Personally my experience is that the easier the live bait come the less we catch on the day.

We cruised out of Botany, anchored & threw a livie out immediately & sure enough within seconds we get our first "Dip, fiddle & THUMP" Good start for the day with a 65cm Kingie on my rod which I handed to Scottie since he had never caught a kingie before. This had us missled thinking it was gonna be a frenzie but we waited for an hour before they circled around for another sniff & "WHAMMO" we start again. In the mean-time our guest Scott kept catching odd fish that we have never fished for in this area & my ol man decided to hammer the monster Sweep that kept congregating around the burley bucket. He loves his Sweep.

May I say that I find it amusing when you try & explain to someone as to how hard a kingie pulls, they always take it with a grain of salt that fishermen are full of s@$t & hype the talk but when they actually catch one they seem surprised. Cracks me up!!!

Though the Kingies were slow today compared to the last couple of weeks (averaging at about 15 legal per trip), this time we ended up with about 6 at 60'ish cm (released), a couple at 65cms & one nice 80cm. My biggest so far. Man I tell you that 60cms & 80cms makes a huge difference. I would have had an easy 15lb of tension on braid & it peeled off line without a drama. I can only imagine what a 10kg Kingie would do... demolish me.With my KIngie I was in luck as he peeled away from the boat & started surfacing which is wierd (unsusual for high drag setting) which gave me the advantage & played him into my ol man's net. Truly unbeleivable power. My comparison would be a 30kg Tuna but obviously shorter stamina & different kinda' "thump".

We stayed till the magnificent moon rose in the early evening looking like an orange sun. As soon as the sun went down the fish went off the bite & the monster Squid started hammering our livebait at record speeds. My ol man lost a good half a dozen SQUID at the boat so I decided to use a secret that worked & nailed him to end an absolutely fabulous day on the water.

We ended up with so many different species on Sunday (most of them released) which I haven't experienced for yeeeeeaaars in Sydney. Some I don't know the names of but will throw in a description of & maybe a raider can define for me. We threw back most fish.

1- 30 Yellowtail

2- 9 Kingfish

3- 1 Travelly

4- 1 Bream

5- 4 rockfish

6- 3 Greenish fish with blue spots & a figure like a barra.

7- 1 Fish that looked like Redfin but bigger & saltier.

9- 1 Gummy Shark

10- 1 Port Jackson Shark

11- 1 Octopus

12- 1 Squid

13- 8 Sweep

14- 3 Pike

All in all a great trp & good to see that he water is healthy enough for us to be reminded of the early days of catching an array of species.

I am fading fast now after a few wines & sushimi kingfish so I will end with some pics of Scottie with his 65cm Kingie & me with my 80cm one.

Cheers

Seazar

post-4600-1196044873_thumb.jpgpost-4600-1196044905_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seazar

nice catch of fish...u get the kings round the heads?also ive found livies hard to get in botnay atm ...where u get em?

cheers alex

Yeah Alex. Kingies are pretty much prolific anywhere there is structure. Livies are probably in so many places. Most of the time. I usually stick to north side of Botany anywhere between the ramp & La Parouse.

Great report there seazar,there's nothing better than going out on a beautiful day,

with good friends,and a great variety of fish.Well done mate.ps hows the boat going?

I agree mate. It's moving along well. Having some drama with the charging system keeps popping the circuit breaker but besides that screams along. We cosidered going out to Brownes but would prefer everything to work well. How about yours?

I agree mate. It's moving along well. Having some drama with the charging system keeps popping the circuit breaker but besides that screams along. We cosidered going out to Brownes but would prefer everything to work well. How about yours?

My boat is still at sailfish up at alstanville, spoke to darren yesterday and he said i should

have it back in a couple of weeks,can't wait .

Edited by sailfish