Tacho Setting For Yamaha 2-stroke 70hp

spongy

Gday raiders,

I have recently posted a thread with regards to a problem I am having with my tacho only reading 3000rpm at WOT.

Some have suggested I check the setting on the back of the tacho, as it could possibly be set incorrectly.

Well, I have since checked, and here are the possible settings;

4P

6P

12P (this is the current setting)

Can anyone tell me if 12P is the right setting for my outboard?

Also, what do these codes actually mean???? I was expecting codes that represent the number of cylinders and whether its a 2 or 4 stroke engine.

Cheers,

jeff

Gday raiders,

I have recently posted a thread with regards to a problem I am having with my tacho only reading 3000rpm at WOT.

Some have suggested I check the setting on the back of the tacho, as it could possibly be set incorrectly.

Well, I have since checked, and here are the possible settings;

4P

6P

12P (this is the current setting)

Can anyone tell me if 12P is the right setting for my outboard?

Also, what do these codes actually mean???? I was expecting codes that represent the number of cylinders and whether its a 2 or 4 stroke engine.

Cheers,

jeff

Jeff

P is the number of poles on the alternator windings. I would say 6p would give you double the rpm which would be about right. I don't think you can hurt anything by being wrong...tacho just reads wrong.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Jeff, as I mentioned before I think the OMC/BRP engines run 6P, so I imagine the Yamaha will be the same so try it. As Chris mentioned it will not hurt it.

Cheers,

huey.

Thanks guys,

Seeing that it looks like its already wrong on 12P, I will change it as suggested to 6P.

Jeff

Thanks guys,

Seeing that it looks like its already wrong on 12P, I will change it as suggested to 6P.

Jeff

Just a quick update on my problem.

I changed the tacho setting from 12P to 6P and now at WOT tacho reads 5500-5600rpm, which I take as normal.

Thanks for the advise guys in solving my problem.

Im still thinking about trying out some hydrofoils to see if it will get me on the plane faster.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the update-that now makes more sense. Those RPM are ideal and the only foil I would use would be a Permatrim one. Much better than any plastic foils even though they cost more, they work the best.

PM me if you would like the Raider price on a Permtrim to suit your 70HP Yamaha.

Cheers,

Huey.