Over Loading Boat Trailer

achjimmy

Hi guys

When last away i called at ?????? Trailers to look at upgrading my existing model. As i was on my way upto Laurieton with all the gear, kids bikes etc on board. The salesmen comented on all the gear and warned of the posibilties of damaging the boat by overloading! Never thought of it before but it makes sense i suppose, specially if the boat is not fully suppported? Anybody exprienced this or have any suggestions on extra measures that can be taken?

I've never experienced it (touch wood) but I have driven the road between home and the mid north coast a million times and it is just amazing how many times I have seen fools pulled over on the side of the freeway etc because of flat tyres, busted stub axles and bent axles etc and 99% of the time they have the bloody boat filled to the gunwhales and higher with all the kids bikes, the groceries/grog, the fridge and anything else they can shove in it.

Deadset, holiday time just makes people do silly things. :1prop:

A boat trailer is just that, a boat trailer.

Like all trailers, a boat trailer has it's weight limit and that limit is usually taken up by the weight of the boat itself.

Yes, throw the rods and tackle boxes etc in the boat but throw the bikes on the roof of the car (weight permitting) or if possible on the back of the car. Everything else, if possible, in the boot.

If you don't have the room in the car just leave it at home.

Edited by Hooky.

A lot of boat rigs are sold with very little leeway regarding the weight capacity of the trailer. There should be a weight rating on the trailers compliance plate. The weak point is usually the trailer tyres, and to a lesser exent the springs and axles. Then there's the effect on handling and braking of the car to consider, not to mention making your insurance void by towing an overweight rig!

So its advisable to only put light gear in your boat and anyting heavy in the boot of your car.

Hi Jimmy, make sure you do not load the boat up with too much gear to go over your trailer weight rating. Check on the VIN plate and hopefully with your rig the trailer is rated to 1200KG minimium. As for damaging the boat, if the trailer is adjusted correctly and the keel of your Alloy boat is being supported by the keel rollers than you will be fine. Just make sure the boat is secured properly to the trailer and does not bounce on the trailer-that will not be good for the boat.

Check your trailer and see what the weight rating is and let us know.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Jimmy, make sure you do not load the boat up with too much gear to go over your trailer weight rating. Check on the VIN plate and hopefully with your rig the trailer is rated to 1200KG minimium. As for damaging the boat, if the trailer is adjusted correctly and the keel of your Alloy boat is being supported by the keel rollers than you will be fine. Just make sure the boat is secured properly to the trailer and does not bounce on the trailer-that will not be good for the boat.

Check your trailer and see what the weight rating is and let us know.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi All thanks for your input, boat is still away getting the trim fixed, will check on its return but i thought the trailer was only rated to 1000kg, Huey. The 500 freedom sport are not a heavy bowrider compared with todays models (420kg boat only,) When i was looking into my trailer the next heaveir model is the same frame just uses an extra leaf/hevier springs to up the load rating. I dont think the kids bikes are going to tax it to much but i was thinking of my camping gear,full eskys etc, might get a box for the roof.

tyres are the other problem, i think the highest load rating you can get on 13" now is about 580-600kg so it doesnt leaver a huge margin for error, i perfer the 14" but it gets the trailer that bit higher! Bearing ratings should be fine, its maintanance that lets them down.

When I do the annual run I plan ahead and run the fuel down to nearly empty, that gives me another 90kg's to play with.

I took my boat onto the weigh bridge fully loaded with fuel and all gear and it came out at 1,320kg the trailer is rated at 1,450kg's so with an empty tank I have about 200kg's I can put in the boat, so far I haven't come close to using that up. I balance the load between the boat and Pajero.

Hi All thanks for your input, boat is still away getting the trim fixed, will check on its return but i thought the trailer was only rated to 1000kg, Huey. The 500 freedom sport are not a heavy bowrider compared with todays models (420kg boat only,) When i was looking into my trailer the next heaveir model is the same frame just uses an extra leaf/hevier springs to up the load rating. I dont think the kids bikes are going to tax it to much but i was thinking of my camping gear,full eskys etc, might get a box for the roof.

tyres are the other problem, i think the highest load rating you can get on 13" now is about 580-600kg so it doesnt leaver a huge margin for error, i perfer the 14" but it gets the trailer that bit higher! Bearing ratings should be fine, its maintanance that lets them down.

Hi Jimmy, I think mate you are going to be very close to the leagl rating on that trailer if it is only rated to 1000KG. When the boat is ready for the water with battery / fuel and normal gear I think you could possibly be over. The only way to know for sure is do what wishin has done and take it over the weighbridge with your normal gear. I see it all the time where dealers put a boat on a too small trailer to save about $300 over the correct trailer and if you have an accident your insurance could be a problem unless you have some proof like a weighbride ticket. Adding you boat/trailer and outboard B4 any gear you are looking at about 850KG so not much in it.

One thing to do if you wiegh it is to keep it hooked upto the car and have it carry about 70-80KG on the towbar.

Cheers,

Huey.