Kings Galore

Red

G'day Raiders, Goob and i had a weekend to remember. After celebrating way too much on saturday night, we decided to wake up early before hangovers could take their full toll :1prop: Destination - Botany Bay, chasing squid and kings. Well the squid gathering went to plan with the Pheromone Skins producing around 20 or so in quick time :thumbup:

Took off looking for kings and struggled for a good hour before we finally found them next to a big bait school sitting on one of the markers . In no time it was Kings four, Goob and Red nil :mad3: We were beginning to understand exactly how the Australian worker's best friend must've been feeling..... :074:

Anyhow, we pulled our heads in, tied on some 20lb leader and went to work. The score was quickly looking more respectable:thumbup: . We went on to have an absolute blinder of a session that will be remembered for a while - stopped counting at 25 strikes and i'd say we hooked 30 plus fish in 1.5hrs. At least twenty of them came in a crazy bite that lasted around 30 minutes. Most baits weren't in the water for longer than 5 seconds before getting inhaled.

I'd say by the end of the session the score was something like Goob/Red 16, Kings 14. Kept five fish for the table and donated a further 12 squid to the freezer. The fish were only rats ranging from 75cm down to 55cm but top fun on 15lb and 6lb braid. I got drilled too many times on the Saegake but Goob managed to get two to the boat, his first and second on bream tackle. Needless to say, Goob was doing these ones :yahoo::yahoo: and i was very happy for him :thumbup: How we didn't break a rod yesterday is still unknown.

Ten of us got together that evening for a bbq and Goob cooked the king fillets to precision. Hard to beat fresh fish, a few refreshments and a good ol' chinwag :thumbup:

Regards

Red

Edited by Red

Cheers guys. Mike, have a go at the rat kings if you have the time. Great fighters and great eating to boot. They're a good option when the jews are slow :thumbup: especially when they're in frenzy mode. It was like catching slimies out there yesterday but you had to work hard to initially find them. Most boats at the ramp had a slow day, i suppose we just got lucky. Just goes to show how important "Location - Location" is.

Cheers

Red

Yea Red I think you hit the nail on the head mate...location

Rat kings are great fun and very tasty!!

I have been reading Kelvins latest posts and am drooling! Jews and Kings.

I have been thinking about a whole new strategy. I know the fish are there but last years tricks don't seem to be working.

I hope to get a chance sometime this week to give it a go.

Go hunt the fish as Kelvin says...

cheers

inhlanzi

G'Day Raiders,

As Red mentioned, we had a fat time on the Bay with the Kings. :thumbup:

Strikes were thick and fast as described and I am still amazed how I didn't snap the Squidgy spin stick.

Red, thanks for a great day, hope we can better it next time. Glad you enjoyed the end result of the BBQ'd Kings, but the credit must go to the real chef, Uncle Johnno-Frank Sinatra's love child :1fishing1: . He cops a lot of stick for his political ideologies, but he does know his marinades and his beer batters. Had some more King last night, still fantastic.

Cheers

Goob

Nice work red, well done.

We fished Botany sunday afternoon for 10 Squid and no hook ups with kings.

We downrigged molineaux and the red/yellow markers for zip, it was such a mystery to me when we have never failed to hook up before.

Top session in the Bay on the kings, an absolute blinder Red :thumbup:

It looks like it's going to be good fishing all round this year. The two bridges have been firing for jew following the warmer currents. Kevvie got several schoolies to around 6 or 7 kilos on soft plastics in the mid morning with photos at Captain Cook bridge recently. He must have run into a boil up or something with either a lot of bait fish around or maybe none at all for the soft plastics to work like that.

The Harbour, Wanda and the Port Hacking produced some good jew after we got those warmer currents and a chap got snapper round 4 kilo in the 60' hole in Burraneer Bay, so it's hard to understand why the Hawkesbury hasn't been giving good jew results as yet. I have been told a few jew were caught a fair way up river before the rains the other week and that not too many kingfish have been caught in Pittwater or Broken Bay after the same people got results regularly a few weeks ago.

Top session Red and another interesting report.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

You guys must've been nackered after that session.

Totally! Goob was complaining of a sore arms and he goes to the gym :074: . Can't wait to get him onto a marlin on 24kg tackle. Thats sure to knock him about :1prop:

Frankp, was that you we spoke to in the centre console?

Kingiemaster, before this season i was totally anti full moon to the max. Actually it would be a good 15 years since the last fruitless full moon session :thumbdown: . Never ever caught a decent Jewfish or red on the moon and probably never will however the rat kings don't seem to mind it.

Jewgaffer, good to hear the jewfish and reds are starting to fire up with the warmer water. Kelvin's recent success has surely sparked some interest in doing a session in the harbour - probably the best local jewfish waterway in terms of numbers. Its really difficult to get motivated with chasing jewies when the kings are going off their nuts. Next moon should be well worth a shot :thumbup:

Regards

Red

Hey Red I am referring to Kevvie's recent soft plastics effort in the day time at Taren Point bridge. Give me a ring or pm and I'll send over the pics to your email address, you'll see the numbers and the sun shining brightly with the pylon and the Taren Point moored boats in the background.

Cheers mate

Jewgaffer :1fishing1: