Help With Purchase Of Reel For Kings

TXL

Hi Guys,

I have been using a cheap shimano reel for kings in the harbour and as you might expect the drag system is not up to the job. I am looking for an up grade (preferably baitrunner style?) for under $200

The shimano BR 4500 is the obvious choice but was wondering if any one had experience with the Okuma epix or eclipse reels, or may be any other recommendations?

It will be paired with an Ugly stick and mainly used for livebaiting and thowing the occasional lure/plastic.

I am currently using low stretch mono which im also unhappy with, some guidance with braid type/strength for this type of reel would also be appreciated?

Many thanks

Hi,

1. Baitrunner reels are just not up to scratch for Kings... the drags are not usually good enough and the simpler you keep the reel the better (keep the baitrunner for the flathead and bream and jewies)

2. I have used an Epix reel with the stainless gears.... and must say they dont feel that good at the turn of the handle and often develop sideways slop on the main gear which can cause the reel to jam under load...not what you want on a king...

I would suggest if budget is limited to under $200 then you probably want to look at say a Penn Spinfisher 650ssm (or if you can get your hands on it the previous 6500ss or 650ss as they were USA made)...

The 650ssm is china built and probably not as good as its predecessors but it still has sintered bronze gears..

I have a 650ss which I have had for 20yrs and it still pulls the kings and has a good drag, and has never failed me.

I would stay above a 500 size reel as the drags are bigger diameter and therefore have more surface area.

As far as line goes... try 30lb mono backing and then 120m of 30lb or 50lb Kokoda livewire infused braid (very soft) .... and top it with 30-50lb flourocarbon or quality mono leader.

(30lb will do if the fish are on the surface or clear of structure. but you will need 50lb of stopping power on anything about 80cm if you are near structure)

hope this helps

Cheers

Rodger

For good value and quality, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Banax 700 series or a Phflueger7040 and 30lb braid and 60lb leader for kings to go with the ugly stik if you wanted to fish around that weight.

If you want to work soft plastics perhaps a lighter outfit, but then again having the need for a top quality lighter reel means a higher price.

I have 750ss and 950 ss Penns which are top work horses as well

That's only my opinion and they are all large spinning reels but well priced.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I agree that you cannot beat the Penns for stopping power and durability in that price range. Nothing else really compares in the $140-$250 price range to the Penns. I am actually looking at buying another Penn threadline and I am wondering if anyone can advise on the difference between the Penn spinfishers and the Penn Slammers. Overall the Slammers are a more refined reel and it appears they even have the edge on stoppping power as they seem to have been designed for heavy braided lines. Is this correct ? Any other differences ? thanks in advance

Have you looked at the Spheros! Some of the raiders use them for Kings.

The Spinfisher is a strong reel.. a noteable Harbour pro uses them for Kings so the must be OK.

Personally, I find them pretty chunky but, they offer incredible bang for your buck!! :thumbup:

Edited by Ceph

Netic, I am surprised with your comment about the Speros having a stronger drag, as several informed comments that I have heard and read about, suggest the Penns win hands down against the spheros in

drag pull. Are you comparing apples with apples or are you comparing a Penn 4300ss or Slammer 260

against a spheros 14000 ?

Hi Guys,

I have been using a cheap shimano reel for kings in the harbour and as you might expect the drag system is not up to the job. I am looking for an up grade (preferably baitrunner style?) for under $200

The shimano BR 4500 is the obvious choice but was wondering if any one had experience with the Okuma epix or eclipse reels, or may be any other recommendations?

It will be paired with an Ugly stick and mainly used for livebaiting and thowing the occasional lure/plastic.

I am currently using low stretch mono which im also unhappy with, some guidance with braid type/strength for this type of reel would also be appreciated?

Many thanks

G'day mate,

I had bought Okuma eclipse 4500 baitrunner reel early in the year. I have it spooled with 50 pound tuff line, and have put it to its test on reefs in NQ, I have caught many spanish mackeral over 1.2m, large sharks, cobia and trevaly. I also use it for jigging occasionally, bottom bashing and throwing large poppers. I found the reel excellent value for money, I think I paid under $160, the reel has been reliable and I have found the drag smooth under pressure. Although if I could talk the :wife: around I would love to uprade to a stella 6000 after hearing fellow raiders reports, for now I will stick with the versatility of the eclipse. By the way what did you find wrong with the mono, I was thinking of getting some.

Hi,

1. Baitrunner reels are just not up to scratch for Kings... the drags are not usually good enough and the simpler you keep the reel the better (keep the baitrunner for the flathead and bream and jewies)

I think you're a bit out of school there mate - they would probably be one of the most popular reels for charters, particularly aimed at Kings. An old favourite that keeps going.

I've had a Shimano BTR 6500 and a Penn Spinfisher 9500 SS (US made ones) since 1995 and I swear by both of them. They are both fantastic reels.

Both reels have been absolutely faultless and I would recommend either. I have caught my fair share of jewies, kingies and noah's on both with out fault. I have recently added another BTR 6500 to my collection.

If you are worried about the drag on the BTR 6500I would recommend you update to the carbon washers on them. It's a cheap investmen.

As far as the Okuma go I haven't tried the baitrunners yet but I have owned the Epix and Metaloid range and regret not spending the premium for a better reel.

Hi guys thanks for all the advice, just been to BCF with the intention of purchasing the spinfisher but noticed a they had a $200 deal for the shimano BR 6500 with a shimano snapper rod thrown in.

I am a little concerned that the reel is a bit on the heavy side but i guess i will have to see how it goes on the water!

I also picked up some 20lb fire line (probably to light for kingies?) with 30lb leader.

regards,

Tim

The Spinfisher is a strong reel.. a noteable Harbour pro uses them for Kings so the must be OK.

Ceph, That noteable Harbour pro uses Penns because he is sponsored by Penn......you go when the money is...not by what is best.....

Hi guys thanks for all the advice, just been to BCF with the intention of purchasing the spinfisher but noticed a they had a $200 deal for the shimano BR 6500 with a shimano snapper rod thrown in.

I am a little concerned that the reel is a bit on the heavy side but i guess i will have to see how it goes on the water!

I also picked up some 20lb fire line (probably to light for kingies?) with 30lb leader.

regards,

Mate you will be very happy with that purchase

Hey guys,

Even though it's rated for 14lb line, does anyone have any experience with the Daiwa Tierra 4000 for fishing 15lb - 20lb braid for kings and and the like? I saw them catching kingies on these in the Fishing DVD # 8.

I have the Tierra 2500 for the lighter stuff which I am very happy with but want something a bit bigger to try and target kings out of a kayak I will be picking up next week. I have seen the Tierra 4000 for sale for $200 and would like to invest in a combo around $300 for the kings.

Cheers

Marty

Hey guys,

Even though it's rated for 14lb line, does anyone have any experience with the Daiwa Tierra 4000 for fishing 15lb - 20lb braid for kings and and the like? I saw them catching kingies on these in the Fishing DVD # 8.

I have the Tierra 2500 for the lighter stuff which I am very happy with but want something a bit bigger to try and target kings out of a kayak I will be picking up next week. I have seen the Tierra 4000 for sale for $200 and would like to invest in a combo around $300 for the kings.

Cheers

Marty

Handles 20 lb braid easy. You shouldn't have any problems with it.