Victa Outboard?

cupster

post-5931-1196589354_thumb.jpgpost-5931-1196589193_thumb.jpghi raiders,i was recently given this victa outboard from a mate who knows nothing about it's past.it's complete bar the exhaust muffler.the motor is a simple one cyl.air cooled 2-stroke which is ceased.i'm thinking of rebuilding it[i'd like to see this thing running].my question is,have any raiders owned one of these? how did [or dose]it perform?how loud was it?was the jet flow setup comperable to a standard prop?when were they sold?[i'm guessing mid 70's]and how much were they?any info would be much appreciated.

Take the motor to your local lawn mower man.

Its looks like a standard 160 cc victor two stroke and that being the case its easy to service.

Also if you need to get a new motor take a look at the next council clean up, there are usually a few out there.

In terms of the bottom end just clean it up and grease I would think.

70s is the vintage but the engine has been replaced with a later one, My uncle had one of these new and Im sure it was earlyish 70's. It had a much earlier engine though, the type you wound up and released a pawl on to start it, performance wise .......hahahahahah. His was on an old wooden hull and got us around pittwater well though. I seem to recall his was a jet drive though or internal impellor of some sort though which was pretty fancy in those days.

GT

Victa-outboard-1.jpg

Victa-outboard-2.jpg

Cheers

GT

70s is the vintage but the engine has been replaced with a later one, My uncle had one of these new and Im sure it was earlyish 70's. It had a much earlier engine though, the type you wound up and released a pawl on to start it, performance wise .......hahahahahah. His was on an old wooden hull and got us around pittwater well though. I seem to recall his was a jet drive though or internal impellor of some sort though which was pretty fancy in those days.

GT

Victa-outboard-1.jpg

Victa-outboard-2.jpg

Cheers

GT

well i guess the advert says it all,"takes you at a steady pace in sheltered waters" obviously not the best performer,but it has it's merits and i think deserves to be restored.[i'll put it on my"to do list"].thanks guys.

Hi. I have used these for years. Yes they are noisy just like a lawnmower!!!!. Air cooled and the bottom impeller runs in a wet bronze bush so they will last for ages. There is a couple of tricks in pulling them apart as the ally cast swells as it corrodes and often cracks bits.

They are about 4hp in theory but have lots of torque but no speed! They will push a dinghy the same speed 5-6 knots with 2 people or 6. Great with kids as they can't go too far or hit things too hard. No reverse but at 5 knots in a dinghy you don't have much momentun. They are pretty short shaft so your dinghy has to have a reasonably low transom for them to work well. You can stretch the shaft by resetting the allen key set screws to gain about 1 inchmore length if careful. They were the 125cc normally as the 160 had a different stud pattern and the jet unit won't attach.

There were 2 other versions one had a prop off a small gearbox - not many around which sort of says something, and another had a vane instead of a impeller and was powered buy a scott - villiers and was better jet unit but a heavy motor- sorry to all villiers lovers.

Yes we butchered one years ago and ported it, bigger jet and repitched the prop and nearly got a boat planing but as the boat started to plane due to the design of the jet it also lifts out of the water and loses traction as the water output is higher than the input. That motor ended up back on the mower and shit didn't it cut the grass with all those revs. Later went on go cart with a oversize bore. We tried to kill that motor even introducing dust induction when it was used off road but was sold with the farm still running.

I have a full parts diagram and brochure somewhere. If the prop in the housing is worn or stuffed ( they threw blades as not cast well and corroded ) or someone has messed with bush or run it dry it is probably not worth the hassle as shaft and prop are one piece.

A couple of things to watch out for. Is it the motor that is seized or is it just the shaft in the bush or corrosion down near the impeller. soak every stud , nut bolt in WD40 spray it a couple of times a week for a fortnoght before you try and pull it down.

If your not interested in rebuilding it or whatever I might be able to use it for spares or as a project over winter. Just send me a message and we'll exchange phone numbers.

Those little $300 air cooled cheap imports are probably a better proposition for every job and a little aircooled honda BF2 if you want something to last and be reliable is so lightweight and quiet and would push a dinghy as well if not better. Like all nostalgic things they are great till you use them and realise everytime you prime them fuel goes into the water and on old 2 stroke mix it can be smelly and oily. Dam they never put that in the brochure did they and 38 pounds (18kg) weight doesn't seem like much till you have to lug it and only get 4hp!!.

Nothin' like the smell of a Victa in the morning!!!!

Edited by pelican

Wow,

Where does the catcher go or is it a mulching outboard?

:1naughty::074::074::074::074::074:

4hp berly mincer by barmix - victa if you pull off the guard. Noise might scare just a few fish but hell there has to be deaf fish to catch as well. At 38 pound it would make a fair anchor as well.

4hp berly mincer by barmix - victa if you pull off the guard. Noise might scare just a few fish but hell there has to be deaf fish to catch as well. At 38 pound it would make a fair anchor as well.

:Funny-Post: thanks for your input pelican,i got your pm and will let you know shortly.