Port Hacking 4/12/07

Davemmm

Note to self: STOP FISHING THE HACKING ON A RUNOUT TIDE.

Nothing more to add really

Dave

Don't worry Dave you weren't alone among the boaties.

I fished Dolan's wharf yesterday from 12pm till near midnight even ran in to Roosterman who called in for a fish in the Hacking with sp/s on the way home to the far northern beaches.

Being on the wharf I had a chance to speak to just about all the boaties who came back in as the big storm hit. Except for the few blokes loaded up with kingfish off the wrecks, no one I spoke to had any take home fish and some of the regulars were out in the river all day.

The only one I saw with fish was a local kayak bloke who got a few flathead around the bottom of Dolan's.

I caught quite a few snapper not quite legal off the wharf on skinned squid strips.

When my friends arrived we did reasonably well on catching calamari which as usual from the middle of the run down. There was no shortage of yakkas at Wally's wharf, the small variety were very profuse from the about two hours down from the the top onwards . I went home around midnight and the others went on to Taren Pt to fish the livies. They gave it away as being unfishable when the big southerly hit.

Cheers Dave

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Don't worry Dave you weren't alone among the boaties.

I fished Dolan's wharf yesterday from 12pm till near midnight even ran in to Roosterman who called in for a fish in the Hacking with sp/s on the way home to the far northern beaches.

Being on the wharf I had a chance to speak to just about all the boaties who came back in as the big storm hit. Except for the few blokes loaded up with kingfish off the wrecks, no one I spoke to had any take home fish and some of the regulars were out in the river all day.

The only one I saw with fish was a local kayak bloke who got a few flathead around the bottom of Dolan's.

I caught quite a few snapper not quite legal off the wharf on skinned squid strips.

When my friends arrived we did reasonably well on catching calamari which as usual from the middle of the run down. There was no shortage of yakkas at Wally's wharf, the small variety were very profuse from the about two hours down from the the top onwards . I went home around midnight and the others went on to Taren Pt to fish the livies. They gave it away as being unfishable when the big southerly hit.

Cheers Dave

Yea it was a frantic rush before that storm hit, i guess you saw the blokes that were retrieving their large motor cruiser, well i was between them, we were the ones that were running around franticly trying to get the boat out of the water...

davemmm

Don't despair there are fish in the Hacking. I fished Sunday over near Mainbar in a tinny for whiting(largest 40cm) and garfish galore(got 15, largest went 38cm). Look for nipper holes in the sand as you drift about and the whiting will be there. For garfish look for weed beds that are away from boat traffic. I used a tiny bit of peeled prawns with no weight on a tiny hook. Some people berley with bread to bring them around.

Regards Kit

I have no problem catching fish in the Hacking it's just the runout tide seems to be extremely unproductive.

The flats at Maianbar are a bit different mainly because if you fish the late runout you tend to get stuck, if you fish the middle of the tide it runs a bit too hard so you are left with the run in and the top of the tide. Having said that there are far less whiting than last year schooling around when you pump nippers, this may change closer to chrissy but it usually is much more vibrant.

The thing I find odd about the hacking is the flathead behaviour. Most places I have fished the flathead come on strongest during the last hour or so of the runout. The Hacking seems to fish best on the flood tide this is with nippers, live bait, strip bait, whitebait and lures. Its just one of those things I guess where the structure of the river creates a better environment during the run in.

Tuesday was just one of those days where we got belted by schools of little reddies and at a couple of spots trumpeters. The spots where the Bream have been holding in the past few weeks on the flood tide were deserted and even the tailor seemed to have dissapeared.

Maybe it was the barometer (which was pretty low) or maybe as Stewey says I just need to concentrate more on an ebb tide as most of my fishing there has been on the flood.

Dave

Yea it was a frantic rush before that storm hit, i guess you saw the blokes that were retrieving their large motor cruiser, well i was between them, we were the ones that were running around franticly trying to get the boat out of the water...

Hi Dave the last three hours of the run down and also in the still water during the turn has been the most popular time for squid and flathead.

Hi there RPL I think I did see you behind those young chaps. They were in a brand new white Seafarer with the 200 Etec on it. The really big white cruiser was idling in the vicinity for a fair while and left before the rain hit.

I was wearing a bright orange rain coat and a japanese coconut tree style jungle hat with a long back and sides which my wife Shirley says looks ridiculous :lol:

Cheers