Braid Problem

kbark

Hey guys,

Recently spooled up some 6lb Line System which is ridiculously thin. I can hardly feel it let alone see it on the water. It's on my new Tierra 2500 mated to a Starlo Stix Pro 7'3" 2-4kg rod. The problem is that I'm getting heaps of wrap knots up in the las couple of guides when casting. Seems to cast very light weights ok, but anything over 2 grams is pathetic. Never had this problem with fireline (which is stiffer and thicker) so I'm wondering if it's because the line system is so fine and limp. I have another spool of 10lb that I can try to if the thickness improves the cast but before I crack the seal (and gamble $60) I wanted to hear whether I'm on the right track.

Cheers,

Kit

p.s. check out my post on the brag board :)

Edited by kbark

First and foremost, there are a billion different ways that braid can knot up when casting. Sometimes it is caused by not winding the braid on tightly enough, sometimes it is an overfull spool, sometimes it is incorrect guide placement, or even the size of the reel spool and the distance between the spool and the rod (determined by the reel size). Braid is sometimes so finicky for me that i think im just doomed to knots!

Ive had SO many problems with braid, i think i've tried every type of light braid (4-6lb), and let me tell you, simply changing brands is a gamble. Sometimes a stiffer braid is better for a certain rod/reel combo, sometimes a limp braid works best.

I have a tcurve tournament that casts a 1/12 jig head a country mile, and even further with a particular one of my reels on it. Problem is i think ive used about 7 different types of line on it and they all knot. Change the reel to ANY of my other reels and the problem disappears. But that reel never knots line on my other rods!

I have a shimano 1000 sized reel (pretty small) that knotted braid like no tomorrow on any rod. A little machinig of the spool lip to make it similar to diawa's design helped heaps (but destroyed the anodizing and means i have to be super careful not to allow corrosion to start).

I recently bought another (sigh!) light spin outfit and with Nitlon 4lb on it i have been able to spool it so that the line is practically flush with the spool lip. Any more than 1 rod lengths leader and the leader is past the spool lip!! But it NEVER wind knots, i have tried every weight possible, into and with the wind, the only thing that i can see causing a knot is if a loose wrap is allowed on the spool, and so far even that hasnt caused a problem. Funny thing is it's one of the cheapest combos i fish with.

Go figure!

BTW Line system have some great products

First and foremost, there are a billion different ways that braid can knot up when casting. Sometimes it is caused by not winding the braid on tightly enough, sometimes it is an overfull spool, sometimes it is incorrect guide placement, or even the size of the reel spool and the distance between the spool and the rod (determined by the reel size). Braid is sometimes so finicky for me that i think im just doomed to knots!

Ive had SO many problems with braid, i think i've tried every type of light braid (4-6lb), and let me tell you, simply changing brands is a gamble. Sometimes a stiffer braid is better for a certain rod/reel combo, sometimes a limp braid works best.

I have a tcurve tournament that casts a 1/12 jig head a country mile, and even further with a particular one of my reels on it. Problem is i think ive used about 7 different types of line on it and they all knot. Change the reel to ANY of my other reels and the problem disappears. But that reel never knots line on my other rods!

I have a shimano 1000 sized reel (pretty small) that knotted braid like no tomorrow on any rod. A little machinig of the spool lip to make it similar to diawa's design helped heaps (but destroyed the anodizing and means i have to be super careful not to allow corrosion to start).

I recently bought another (sigh!) light spin outfit and with Nitlon 4lb on it i have been able to spool it so that the line is practically flush with the spool lip. Any more than 1 rod lengths leader and the leader is past the spool lip!! But it NEVER wind knots, i have tried every weight possible, into and with the wind, the only thing that i can see causing a knot is if a loose wrap is allowed on the spool, and so far even that hasnt caused a problem. Funny thing is it's one of the cheapest combos i fish with.

Go figure!

BTW Line system have some great products

bugga

I am using Stellas in 1000 and 2500 with 6lb and 10lb Fireline respectively and have never had a knot. :1prop: I am very happy about this as my previous reels (older Stellas and an older Stradic) were absolutley woeful...

I have some Nitlon on a spare spool and it is fin when casting but, when retrieving sp's, the line willsometimes loop around the first and second guides. This is due to the supple nature of the line and the slack line I am picking up when working the lure.

I am sticking to Fireline from now on. :thumbup:

I am using Stellas in 1000 and 2500 with 6lb and 10lb Fireline respectively and have never had a knot. :1prop: I am very happy about this as my previous reels (older Stellas and an older Stradic) were absolutley woeful...

I have some Nitlon on a spare spool and it is fin when casting but, when retrieving sp's, the line willsometimes loop around the first and second guides. This is due to the supple nature of the line and the slack line I am picking up when working the lure.

I am sticking to Fireline from now on. :thumbup:

Thanks Ceph...that's helpful.

kbark,

I have used 10lb Suffix braid for a couple of years now on 2500 shimano reels of different price ranges & never had any problem at all. The Suffix 10lb is the smaller diamater than the Nilton 6lb as well. It casts extremely well & the only problem is it roughs up a little towards the leader so it pays to cut a 1/2 metre when you see thats happening. Give it a go if you haven't in the past. It might solve your problems

Paul

i have the daiwa tournament bright orange in 10lb on my new stella 2500

and ive found a constant problem of exactly what u said ceph,

the line is looping around the 1st and 2nd guides on the rod..

i guess its time for a new spool of braid till i find the 1 that suits..

steve

Hi kbark I had uneven braid gathering on the spool of a Penn ss reel. I checked the position of the wire around the bale as compared to a brand new Penn. I found it fixed the problem completely when I bent the wire to line up with the new reel at the minimum and maximum wind position.

I don't know whether this will address your uneven spooling though, I hope it will help you to keep in mind in case the wire becomes bent and out of alignment at some time.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I use Fireline and Rapala braid and not only are they very strong for there ratings, Ive never had any tangle problems with them. I dont see any reason to use anything else. Ive got a mag at home thats tests about 50 of the braids on the market and fireline was in the top 3 for all the strength tests. They didnt test rapala braid but Ive done my own tests and its better than fireline!

The braid you use has a lot to do with wind knots I rekon...

I use Fireline and Rapala braid and not only are they very strong for there ratings, Ive never had any tangle problems with them. I dont see any reason to use anything else. Ive got a mag at home thats tests about 50 of the braids on the market and fireline was in the top 3 for all the strength tests. They didnt test rapala braid but Ive done my own tests and its better than fireline!

The braid you use has a lot to do with wind knots I rekon...

I've been happy with all my fireline 4, 8lb on my 2-4kg rod and 30lb on my TLD. No problems with it. Never snapped it either! Just thought I'd try some non-fused braid as I have some 15 lb on my 4000 size outfit and it works well. I just spooled up the 10lb line system which is significantly thicker than the 6lb and it seems to have solved the problem. I'll probably spool the other one with some fireline and compare the two...at least I'm back on the water. Frustrating after forking out for a new outfit only to have the old one out perform it.

Thanks for all the responses. Feel free to keep them coming...

hi Bark,

I purchased this basshard line 4lb to put on my stella, after i was frowned upon by the fishingstore for using fireline, i was disgusted at first i think i had a wind knot after every cast

BTW, i had wounded it, trying to keep tension with a sock in hand....i dont think the line lay was good enought anyhow.

my mate took my line and walked out 100m maybe less and applie tension on it, and i havent had a wind knot since....i fish 3 times a week....this was about 3 months ago... give it ago...

but like one of the other fishers said it could be a number of things

Hey guys,

Recently spooled up some 6lb Line System which is ridiculously thin. I can hardly feel it let alone see it on the water. It's on my new Tierra 2500 mated to a Starlo Stix Pro 7'3" 2-4kg rod. The problem is that I'm getting heaps of wrap knots up in the las couple of guides when casting. Seems to cast very light weights ok, but anything over 2 grams is pathetic. Never had this problem with fireline (which is stiffer and thicker) so I'm wondering if it's because the line system is so fine and limp. I have another spool of 10lb that I can try to if the thickness improves the cast but before I crack the seal (and gamble $60) I wanted to hear whether I'm on the right track.

Cheers,

Kit

p.s. check out my post on the brag board :)

jorn....

what you are talkin about sounds like line twist....

when you spool up a rod you need to have it coming off in a certain direction (which i can't remember hahaha )

if you go the wrong way you get line twist and that causes knots...especially in thinner braids and fireline

like your mate, my first solution is to go to the beach or footy field with a mate, pull the whole spool off to the knot and hand tension the twist out of the line... if that doesn't fix it then i worry about the line

a lot of people who blame the line have line twist problems...