Middle Harbour

zen801

Mate and I went out for a fish hoping for a jewie.

We had good fresh bait and plenty of time.

Tried everything but the fish just werent to be found and were not on the bite.

Weather was crap with wind and rain.

Only got one keeper bream and a tailor for slab bait.

Got smashed in deep water and thought i was onto a nice soapie when it started swimming up the column and i realised it wasnt what i wanted.

Turned out to be a very healthy dark hammerhead easily over the metre mark.

Last couple of trips into MH in the last two weeks or so have been the same. DEAD AS! :thumbdown:

Ahh still nice to hear you were out mate

i had a very sweaty day at wotk and wished i was

on the water!!

Nice species of shark to catch ,

i caught a similar size bull shark just south of

pickering point in 80ft of water last april.

cheers Mike

see you out there soon

jason

I know how you feel. We've had similar luck in MH for weeks now. :1badmood:

I can't remember what time of year it was, as it was over 1O years ago, we caught a heap of 3-4 foot Whaler sharks up in Sugarloaf from the shore. For over a week they hung around smashing almost any bait that hit the water. Funny thing is that the only reason we got onto them was after getting repeatedly smashed on the beam gear and then got out the big guns to find out what the heck they were.

Boats and swimmers would have been none the wiser.

Check out middle harbour on google earth. People have pinned shark attacks from over the years. It's certainly not a place I would be swimming, also knowing the area from fishing there as well. There are indeed many a predator that lurks....

Hi Mike Just thinking what a top spot it can be down there. I reckon anyone in cooee should go out of their way to drop a live yakka or two back from the moored boats, especially when coming home early after finding "no fish anywhere".

Cheers

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Ceph,

Have you eaten a Hammerhead. If so any particular way to prep them?

The only shark i ever eat is gummies.

I havent caught many sharks west of the Spit bridge with plenty being taken around Grotto Point.

I forgot to mention that the water is pretty murky ATM in the upper reaches of MH with all this rain. Maybe i should have moved up to the dirty water line and flicked a few lures for jewies in the dirty/clear zone.

Also saw penguins west of the spit. The last few years have seen the little battlers really grow in numbers. :thumbup:

Hi Mike Just thinking what a top spot it can be down there. I reckon anyone in cooee should go out of their way to drop a live yakka or two back from the moored boats, especially when coming home early after finding "no fish anywhere".

Cheers

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Yeah i agree and we tried but the tide was running out. I think on the run in tide to mid morning high will provide the goods in a couple of days especially with the new moon coming. Most of my success with jews has been in the new moon quarter.

Cheers matey.