Boat Trailer Alterations

Kiwi Dan

Nah - just cut the boat and extend it 200mm. You can never stop the rust when you cut a trailer.

That's very true.

Try moving the post first. Load boat, and check balance. If you have suspension mounted on frame that's adjustable and fixed with U Bolts. You can readjust to suit easy enough.

Otherwise you may find trailer too arse heavy. (Depending on size/weight, of boat). Small boat not too much a problem. Heavier boat. Be careful.

If you cut. Grind rear rail off first. and move boat forward to where it'll be. If balance ok. Fine.

Grind off side rails to suit. and reweld rear back on.

Check on suspension unit first. lot's are made adjustable. If so, not a prob. Shorten. Move to suit.

If not. You'll probably find it's better to move post 4 in and trim trailer 4 in. Won't affect the balance so much.

Always think. B4 you cut things. Other things can be affected. and once grinder bin there. can be embarassing.

After welding. Grind back to clean steel. Mix up some epoxy to suit. and coat with that first. B4 painting.. Can add some grey colour in it first. To Keep colour same as.

Bit long winded. But I've made a couple of them. If suspension not adjustable. on heavier boats. you can stuff up with the balance.. Small light boat.. Go for it..

Enjoy.

Macka17

Edited by macka17

Just get a trailer person to manufacture and galvanise a extra piece of metal to fit under your current winch plate that moves the bow roller back / v block 200mm. No cutting no welding and trailer remains the same . May even be able to do it with off the shelf pre galvanised parts.

Just get a trailer person to manufacture and galvanise a extra piece of metal to fit under your current winch plate that moves the bow roller back / v block 200mm. No cutting no welding and trailer remains the same . May even be able to do it with off the shelf pre galvanised parts.

I reckon your on the money Pelican!!!

However,

if you decide to Cut:.............

MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE!!!!!

It is not overly expensive to redip a trailer and if I was cutting, I would re-gal for sure.

thanks for all your input fellas, have found a company that will do it all.

If you going to just do post. You can buy posts ready made. With U Bolts and bottom plate.

Cheapest would be to Hacksaw/grind. old post off. Transfer winch to new post and adjust position to suit.

1/2 hrs work.

Just paint some rust converter Silver colour over grind and watch it.

Macka17