Updating Reels - Penn 30vsx

Hello raiders,

I am in the process of updating many of my reels. The 50's have been done - 50vsw. The 30's are in process and I am toying with the idea of a new 30vsx - designed for the super braids with a mono topshot. These reels have upgraded drag systems to cope with the pressures of gamefishing with braids. I am matching it to a G loomis stand-up.

I would like to know if anybody is using this super braid/mono combo and in particular the 30vsx - Your opinions would be greatly appreciated before I commit. The other 30's are 30vsw spooled with Lo-stretch. I am looking at this outfit with the braid/mono as an experiment, especially in trying to budge difficult fish.

Cheers,

Rabs.

Hello raiders,

I am in the process of updating many of my reels. The 50's have been done - 50vsw. The 30's are in process and I am toying with the idea of a new 30vsx - designed for the super braids with a mono topshot. These reels have upgraded drag systems to cope with the pressures of gamefishing with braids. I am matching it to a G loomis stand-up.

I would like to know if anybody is using this super braid/mono combo and in particular the 30vsx - Your opinions would be greatly appreciated before I commit. The other 30's are 30vsw spooled with Lo-stretch. I am looking at this outfit with the braid/mono as an experiment, especially in trying to budge difficult fish.

Cheers,

Rabs.

Hi.

Penns are grouse reels. But look at the twin disk AVET's. and Alutecnos. They reckoned to be the better reels in than size range. Specially at the price.

I've beeen using a Daiwa SLD 30 2 spd . 50lb braid 80lb Fluro leader.with no problems. But maybe a bit down on line capacity for you. But a strong. Cheaper way to experiment. Only use mine on Smaller Tigers. Cobes and Spanno's though.

Braid/ Mono. is good. just use long Leaders to give a bit of stretch. I use spliced, loop to loop. No knots.

Tuff Line. Power Pro. both good. Proven.

YGK Japan for 8 wrap is better,but more exxy.. We use that on the Barra in dams. But good for game too.

People I've spoken to, doing game fishing. reckon Nylon more forgiving. Just accept next size up reels to give decent capacity compared to braid. Must admit though. You get a mountain of 50lb braid on a 30.

regards

Macka17

Edited by macka17

Allgood reports on VSX's but for mine the 30's are probably still a bit light on capacity even for braid and a nylon topshot.

Ive got a Tiagra 30A spooled with 50lb spiderwire and top shot with 100m of 50lb nylon for a total capacity of around 680-700M. I also have an AVET PRO EX 4/0-2 filled with 65lb jerry brown spectra and again a 100M nylon top shot. Personally I now much prefer the Tiagra to use only for some personal nitpicking reasons such as the ease of use of the ratchet and the near silent operation when winding. Both have excellent drags and appear to be quite durable in heavy weather.

I have just purchased another Tiagra 30W LRSA for use as a standup 37 reel again spooled with 80lb braid and a nylon topshot. I find the narrower spools (even though its a wide it's a lot narrower than the 50W) heaps more comfortable to use almost allowing the non use of the harness in shorter fights.

I like the specs on the VSW's in the 30's but found the Tiagra's hard to go past having used them for a few years and also getting pretty good deals on them.

Good luck with whatever you buy, hope they get nearly burnt out in their first season.

Cheers

As I say with the 30w it is a new reel and the drag graduation all looks OK on spring scales when strike is at 25lbs drag curve is a not quite perfectly tangential but I have never fished with a lever drag that was.

This is combated somewhat by having drag settings marked on tape adjacent to the lever on the reel.

I am fishing for info on whats required to work the drag on the 30w LRSA but all the info from the states looks as if 80lb is well within the out of the box capabilities. I guess I will find out but as I say spring scale tests look OK. If you have any avenues for pursuit regards drag mods let me know and I will investigate if required.

Cheers

Allgood reports on VSX's but for mine the 30's are probably still a bit light on capacity even for braid and a nylon topshot.

Ive got a Tiagra 30A spooled with 50lb spiderwire and top shot with 100m of 50lb nylon for a total capacity of around 680-700M. I also have an AVET PRO EX 4/0-2 filled with 65lb jerry brown spectra and again a 100M nylon top shot. Personally I now much prefer the Tiagra to use only for some personal nitpicking reasons such as the ease of use of the ratchet and the near silent operation when winding. Both have excellent drags and appear to be quite durable in heavy weather.

I have just purchased another Tiagra 30W LRSA for use as a standup 37 reel again spooled with 80lb braid and a nylon topshot. I find the narrower spools (even though its a wide it's a lot narrower than the 50W) heaps more comfortable to use almost allowing the non use of the harness in shorter fights.

I like the specs on the VSW's in the 30's but found the Tiagra's hard to go past having used them for a few years and also getting pretty good deals on them.

Good luck with whatever you buy, hope they get nearly burnt out in their first season.

Cheers

Marlin01,

I get what your saying - it really comes down to personal preference and what your're happy with. The VSX is a narrow spool reel and specs gives 450yds/100lb spectra, which I intend to spool with 65lb spectra plus the top shot which would give in the vicinity of 800yds - almost equivalent to a 50wide spooled with mono. The interest I have in these reels is that they will definitely become the norm - lightweight in comparison to the 50W's full of mono - and have the ability to be fished hard with stubborn fish. Whether it be Tiagra/Penn/Avet - The double drag plates allows the flexiblity with varying line weights. I am unsure of their ability in trolling lures ( lack of stretch ) but l think they will be a weapon when live baiting.

Anyway guys thanks for the input.

Cheers, Rabs