75 Kings In Three Trips

Ross Hunter

Raiders,

Because of the bad weather, we have been targetting the kings on Broadbill and Billfisher and whilst they have all been released, they are great fun on 6kg tackle. There are schools galore off Maroubra and Wedding cake. We generally catch 25 or so in a session to then drive away and leave 'em biting. Remember legal size ..Best lures Bloodshot jets and small squid as well as small bibless. Average size 55 to 60cm

Remember be kind to them

Ross

Raiders,

Because of the bad weather, we have been targetting the kings on Broadbill and Billfisher and whilst they have all been released, they are great fun on 6kg tackle. There are schools galore off Maroubra and Wedding cake. We generally catch 25 or so in a session to then drive away and leave 'em biting. Remember legal size ..Best lures Bloodshot jets and small squid as well as small bibless. Average size 55 to 60cm

Remember be kind to them

Ross

how have you been locating them? have they been on the surface? last week i was fishing the area but they were a little hit and miss because they were in pelagic mode rather than sitting around specific structure as they normaly do.

when i fished botany boy a couple of years ago the cakes did produce a lot of early season rats that school

up, they can be caught in big numbers but are generally down on size but on light gear as ross mentioned

GREAT fun...

generally once one is hooked 10 or so of his mates will follow him to the boat, then the action starts

just keep your eyes on the move ....

great fun when there hanging around your baot,.....

steve

I had one memorable session near Wedding Cake a couple of years back. The kings were active in small schools. These were good sized rats at around 4kg. I was spinning them up and there was only one speed they were interested in - flat out! I'd wind as fast as I could with my 6:1 Speedmaster and there would be a pressure bulge behind the lure as the kingie followed it. There would be an explosion of spray when the lure was nailed and then I would get my arms stretched to pull them away from the bottom.