Barra And Muddies

GOOB

G'Day Raiders,

Just got back from a great 3 day trip up north to fishing mecca.

Lots of fun catching Barra and some muddies in the salt at Buckingham Bay. Bloody hot and lots of mozzies but otherwise great.

The first day fished a little slow, everyone was on fire the second day and for the third day Poseidon must have told his mates where we were, because we didn't even turn a reel or fill a pot.

The best thing about it however was the eating. Barra sambos and chilli crab. It doesn't get any better. :thumbup:

Oops,

Sorry raiders, I forgot to add the pics to the previous post.

post-5852-1197336359_thumb.jpg

post-5852-1197336413_thumb.jpg

post-5852-1197336480_thumb.jpg

I would love to go north for a fishing trip

it would be special for sure.

still good you had a great 2nd day and had full of a evening

Johnno,

Thanks mate. It was a great trip as you said, but hard to organise now that my mates and I are married with kids. :wife:

I'd love it to become an annual odyssey.

The only let down was I didn't get a Mangrove Jack. I've heard they are better fighters than Barra and even better eating.

There's always next year

well done mate,always something special about a trip up north with your mate's & getting amonst the

barra like that makes it even more unforgettable!

I also go on a trip up to cape york every couple of year's with some good mate's,& even though it gets a

bit hard gettin away at times & also a bit expensive ,it's something we always look forward to & remember

for year's to come.

Also in regards to jacks versus barra in fighting ability in my opinion there is no contest.I caught a couple of nice mangrove jacks on our last trip to cape york a few months ago & they are so powerful its unbelieveable

compared to barra they go much harder,if you dont stop them in the first 3 metres of the hookup then

you wont turn them at all,they bust you off so quick & easy even on 30lb braid.

And they really are a great eating fish,in my opinion much better than the barramundi. :beersmile:

cheers mate

steve

Ahh Goob, thats the life. I can only imagine what it was like tucking into those mud crabs and washing them down with some cold refreshments :thumbup:

Shame about the lack of mangrove jacks. Which lures proved best for your barramundi?

Cheers

Red

Ahh Goob, thats the life. I can only imagine what it was like tucking into those mud crabs and washing them down with some cold refreshments :thumbup:

Shame about the lack of mangrove jacks. Which lures proved best for your barramundi?

Cheers

Red

Red,

You could only imagine the number and variety of lures 4 blokes will bring with them on their first Barra trip. There was everything from MANNS strech 10's, Bomber magnums, Halco poppers, Predateks, Rapalas, Storms etc. But believe it or not, the most productive lures were the shallow rattlers such as the Storm Shallow Thunder and Rapala Super Shad Rap ( which also happens to be my Jewie lure of choice, as you are aware ) anything that generated some noise and splash.

This does not mean we used hard bodies exclusively. Some plastics in the 6 inch size were also included in our arsenal, but we will have to research jig heads to find something somewhat more robust than what we had.

As for cold beverages, there were many indeed. God bless the genius that came up with the evakool. Still, nothing beats an ice cold Pepsi Max :beersmile:

i'm going to start saving now, so i can experience what you just did. i've been dying to go for a while now. everytime i read about it, it makes me want to go even more.

paul

Paul,

Let me say it was worth every penny. It does get a bit expensive when you include tackle etc but quality gear lasts a long time. Try and get some bay and ocean fishing in when you do get up there. I didn't and am slightly disappointed to say the least. :1badmood:

I hope to be reading a report from your Barra trip soon.

GOOB

Edited by GOOB