Flatties Feeding At The Surface?

yakfishing

I was fishing for flatties the other day from the shore with squidgies and I saw a splash. I thought it might be tailor so cast out past it and did a med/fast retrieve through the spot to try my luck and bang - up comes a 45cm flatty. I wasnt sure if it was just a coincidence or whether it was actually the flatty that made the splash. Will they often leave their comfort zone at the bottom to nail baitfish at or near the surface? The water was maybe 3 metres deep.

Edited by yakfishing

flatties are suckers for poppers in similar depths to those you were in...

wouldnt suprise me

I'd never have thought in a million years a flatty would go for a popper unless its in real shallow water. I always assumed something had to float right under their nose for them to have a go. Interesting stuff.

i have caught a bunch of flatties that have zoomed off the bottom and hit a plastic off the surface.... last year i hooked one at 55 cm that got airborne twice on the flats...that was a spinout... he jumped once and i was thinkin no way.... and then he launched again like a barra shakin from side to side right out of the water These blokes asked me what was that and i said flathead and they laughed until i landed it

i have caught a bunch of flatties that have zoomed off the bottom and hit a plastic off the surface.... last year i hooked one at 55 cm that got airborne twice on the flats...that was a spinout... he jumped once and i was thinkin no way.... and then he launched again like a barra shakin from side to side right out of the water These blokes asked me what was that and i said flathead and they laughed until i landed it

Now that I wanna see