Sydney Harbour Nye: Any Tips?

Macster

I am thinking of going out on the harbour on NYE to watch the fireworks. Have heard a few stories that it can be an absolute sh*tfight, but still keen.

Has anybody done this in a small boat? Apparently the ramps out can get pretty congested. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. :beersmile:

I am thinking of going out on the harbour on NYE to watch the fireworks. Have heard a few stories that it can be an absolute sh*tfight, but still keen.

Has anybody done this in a small boat? Apparently the ramps out can get pretty congested. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated.  :beersmile:

25066[/snapback]

believe the stories! you can find the odd good spot thats been over looked but if you get caught up with the gin palaces its madness. Also wash is incredible so Id take great care in a small tinnie

We are going to brave it, we will be in mort bay hopefully early enough to get a spot.

the only thing i can think of is to make sure you have 2 anchors out (bow and stern) and if possible find someone to raft up with for some added stability.

I was at Bias boating this morning and they wished us luck :1yikes:

they said everyone should do it once but not many go back for a second time unless they are in a real big boat.

:1yikes: Sounds like a nightmare! But one I think we will undertake just for the hell of it. Thanks for all the tips guys.

I'd heard the ramps are highly congested after the fireworks, anybody have any experiences they can share?

If you see a 4.5m Bermuda with a blue canopy getting smashed against a multi-million dollar cruiser with spa and bowling alley come over and say gudday! :risata:

:1yikes:  Sounds like a nightmare! But one I think we will undertake just for the hell of it. Thanks for all the tips guys.

I'd heard the ramps are highly congested after the fireworks, anybody have any experiences they can share?

If you see a 4.5m Bermuda with a blue canopy getting smashed against a multi-million dollar cruiser with spa and bowling alley come over and say gudday!  :risata:

25122[/snapback]

If you intend to use wharf road ramp, expect to wait until 2-3 am to retrieve your boat . Yep, expect mayhem ...stay calm and enjoy the experience! :beersmile:

post-470-1104531321_thumb.jpg

Just got back from our o/nighter on mort bay, only one word to describe the night.

FANTASTIC!!!!

all up there were maybe 8 - 10 boats there, thousands of people on the foreshore and it was dead calm.

my daughter was the photographer for the night and she took some great pics (will post some later).

will definately do it again this year.

Edited by wombat10

Great pic.

Had a great night. Put the boat in at Greenwich wharf which was clear putting boat in and out - easy to park the car. Who would've thunk it?

Anchored between McMahons Point and Luna Park and had an awesome view of the fireworks. Even caught a small bream while waiting (and received a round of applause from the yachtful of Kirribilli types passing alongside).

Would definitely do it again and recommend it to anybody. :)