Jews On Sp

RPL

What SP's should i be using?

What action should i use, and obviously i would fish reef and other structures.

My Combo is a 1000 Stradic with 4lb rapala braid and a T curve bream rod 2-5kg, would that be enough?

Thanks.

What SP's should i be using?

What action should i use, and obviously i would fish reef and other structures.

My Combo is a 1000 Stradic with 4lb rapala braid and a T curve bream rod 2-5kg, would that be enough?

Thanks.

big storm shads upto 150mm cast let sink slowly lift rod tip upas high as you can then let sink and repeat. might wana upsize your gear a touch it aint easy to get one in the first place you dont wana lose him

I reckon your gear is a bit light if you are targeting jewies,if hooked around any structures they will bust

you off every time & even a schoolie of 3 or 4 kg has got a solid first run when hooked on light plastic's

gear.Try a 2500 size stradic with 10lb braid/with a 15lb fluro carbon leader & fish plastic's around 100mm size!

work them very slowly too.

cheers mate

steve

I reckon your gear is a bit light if you are targeting jewies,if hooked around any structures they will bust

you off every time & even a schoolie of 3 or 4 kg has got a solid first run when hooked on light plastic's

gear.Try a 2500 size stradic with 10lb braid/with a 15lb fluro carbon leader & fish plastic's around 100mm size!

work them very slowly too.

cheers mate

steve

Thanks for the tip, yea i think i might have to wait till i get the money for the Stradic to start targeting them, what do you think, are they as hard as bream are on Sp's?

Thanks for the tip, yea i think i might have to wait till i get the money for the Stradic to start targeting them, what do you think, are they as hard as bream are on Sp's?

HARDER

mainly due to the fact that bream are quite abundent and you generally know exactly where they are...

go light as possible, both in leader and weight (but still heavy enough to get the plastic down to where you need it), and also use a very slow retrieve. Fish 'breamy'territory, ie snags, flats, bridge and jetty pylons. Use lures that imitate what the fish are feeding on in the area. I find the small squidgy wrigglers in bloodworm imitate prawns very well and bream love them! also 2in gulp grubs in pumpkinseed are good...

go light as possible, both in leader and weight (but still heavy enough to get the plastic down to where you need it), and also use a very slow retrieve. Fish 'breamy'territory, ie snags, flats, bridge and jetty pylons. Use lures that imitate what the fish are feeding on in the area. I find the small squidgy wrigglers in bloodworm imitate prawns very well and bream love them! also 2in gulp grubs in pumpkinseed are good...

Thanks for the reply, does anyone know any LB spots that i can fish for bream with SP's. I do have a boat but not an electric so thats abit hard.

Hi RPL,

If you want to target both species ,ie Jews and Bream at the same time?

Go with the 6 to 10 lb braid or fireline and use a 3 inch bass minnow or 4 inch and that should get you into the school jews and decent bream as well.

Same retrieve for both ,slow and a few decent lifts in between.

Structure is your key and any bridge pylon with a small amount of current will get you into some decent fish.

The Cooks River mouth is a possiblity as is the Figtree Bridge and the Woronara Bridge.

Cheers Stewy

Hi RPL,

If you want to target both species ,ie Jews and Bream at the same time?

Go with the 6 to 10 lb braid or fireline and use a 3 inch bass minnow or 4 inch and that should get you into the school jews and decent bream as well.

Same retrieve for both ,slow and a few decent lifts in between.

Structure is your key and any bridge pylon with a small amount of current will get you into some decent fish.

The Cooks River mouth is a possiblity as is the Figtree Bridge and the Woronara Bridge.

Cheers Stewy

Thanks mate, yea i have an extra spool so i might get some 8lb on it...

I fish with those lures, what colours?

I know it all depends on the day, but my favs are, smelt, pearl, and bloodworm, they should work fine right?

O fair enough, ill have to concentrate on that, because im working it really slow i suppose i need to go finesse with the jigheads?

Yes structure is the key, they hold fish, but should i be bouncing the lure off the bottom or fish as i would with bait? (1m above the bottom)

Thanks heaps.

Thanks mate, yea i have an extra spool so i might get some 8lb on it...

I fish with those lures, what colours?

I know it all depends on the day, but my favs are, smelt, pearl, and bloodworm, they should work fine right?

O fair enough, ill have to concentrate on that, because im working it really slow i suppose i need to go finesse with the jigheads?

Yes structure is the key, they hold fish, but should i be bouncing the lure off the bottom or fish as i would with bait? (1m above the bottom)

Thanks heaps.

Let it go to the bottom if there is no rocky formations and those colours are fine.

I like the 1/4 jig heads so you can get your plastics down a bit in a current,but you dont want them to plummet to the bottom as a lot of hits come on the drop.

The slighest tap should be struck at as they have big mouths and swallow those small offerings easy and spit em out just as fast!!!

There is nothing wrong with false striking as the next false strike will peel line off your reel :yahoo:

Let it go to the bottom if there is no rocky formations and those colours are fine.

I like the 1/4 jig heads so you can get your plastics down a bit in a current,but you dont want them to plummet to the bottom as a lot of hits come on the drop.

The slighest tap should be struck at as they have big mouths and swallow those small offerings easy and spit em out just as fast!!!

There is nothing wrong with false striking as the next false strike will peel line off your reel :yahoo:

Thanks mate, thats what i have been doing with my flathead as they aren't overly aggressive, yea i do strike but sometimes its weed:(

• 2 weeks later...

hey mate got back from forster a few daysago whilst up there we decided to go have a look up on the breakwall one night as we were walking out a local young fella was walking back in with a beautiful jewfish of about 10-12kgs gaffed through the lip and carefully dragging it along the grass to the carpark, we stopped to admire and have a quick chat and what made it even better was he caught it on a massive 9 inch tsunami soft plastic shad, so ignore my previous post saying upto 150mm haha, bloody nice fish although he classed it as a baby and has scored much bigger fish this way, god i wish i lived closer to the ocean, one day.

Thanks for that, yea i had a go last night fishing structure on the run out tide, had a good pickup but it got spat, im still yet to master jews on bait and plastics seem a lot harder, im guessing you strike the jew as you feel the hold unlike you would if you were fishing bait.