Tuna Tubes

mr magoo

They look like this. You put live striped tuna and yellowfin in there to keep them alive as baits for marlin. The pump supplies water to the tubes to keep the tuna alive, most are black inside to keep the tuna calm. As you can imagine it is not that easy to fit tuna into a live bait tank and that is where the tubes are more useful. Not too many boats have them though.

post-5116-1198240415_thumb.jpg

Daniel

They look like this. You put live striped tuna and yellowfin in there to keep them alive as baits for marlin. The pump supplies water to the tubes to keep the tuna alive, most are black inside to keep the tuna calm. As you can imagine it is not that easy to fit tuna into a live bait tank and that is where the tubes are more useful. Not too many boats have them though.

post-5116-1198240415_thumb.jpg

Daniel

Thanx, dont look too hard to make if you know a sheety or fabricater.

howdy folks i am currently fitting a tuna tube to my boat and was wondering what size pumps you guys use

ta arman

Hi arman...

i have twin tuna tubes built into the back of the transom of the boat and the pump's that feed these tubes

are a Johnson flexible impellar pump f4b-19 12/24 v DC

In all honesty to get these tubes manufactered and installed cost me a small fortune where as the boat

i had prior to the present one....that tuna tube consisted of a cut to length of 150 pvc sewer pipe

with a funnell from the hardware inserted inside to capture and concentrate the flow through the bait's mouth

and was just allowed to over flow into the motor well out the back nothing fancy about it .....this was fed via a rule 1100 gph pump

in the identical fashion you would a live bait tank with the hose from the pump connected to the neck of the funnell standing proud after being inserted through the centre bottom cap on the inside of the tube.....as allready mentioned the inside is painted black which aids in keeping the bait calm.... a bye far cheaper and cruder version than say the one posted

by daniel but just as effective all the same......

Cheers Warnie......

as warnie has said pvc pipe makes great tubes. specially that you can make them portable.

as we all know you tend to run out of space pretty quickly in a trailerboat.

if you want to look the part go have a word to a local welder. i got a row of 2 slimey size and 2 tuna sized tubes made up for around $150. they were perfect and sat on the front of my engine well under my cutting board.

no need to spend $700 on the reelax ones. hell thats another tiagra right there!

Col