1st Kingfish

Nicnat

Hi All.

Been a bit busy since the last post a couple of weeks ago but have managed a few session in Botany Bay over that time. My 7yr old son who got his first Sambo in the last post has managed consistent bags of bream since then, mainly around the oil wharf, hot water outlet and in front of the groynes.

We were not going fishing this morning as the predicted wind makes fishing in our little tinnie a bit uncomfortable but woke up at 6 and it looked OK. Quickly woke up my little rod-hogger, hitched the boat and headed off to launch at Silver Beach. Headed across to Yarra Bay to look for any Sambo's or Tailor but not much action happening. Rather a rough crossing as well so decided to play safe instead and soak some old pillies I had left at the hot water outlet (HWO).

The end of the wharf was full of boats but only a couple of guys in yaks at the HWO. We settled down just before the tide was full and were then joined by a couple of other boats. Virtually right at the top of the tide one of the other boats hooked up, then the other guy next to him but both lost whatever they hooked a minute or so into their fights. Suddenly our little 9lb bream outfit took off.

Rod-hogger (RH) dived across to wrench the outfit out of my hands and then the fun started. Initial reaction from the at that stage unknown bait stealer were only a few headshakes and RH managed to get him half way to the boat. He must have seen my ugly mug because that's when he took off on the first run against a drag screwed down about as tight as a 7yr old can get it.

Over the next 5 minutes we had 3-4 more good runs, 2 close calls around the anchor line and the rear of the boat, ended up circling the boat twice with much cursing from myself as I tried frantically to remove rods, nets, bait, etc, etc out of the way and almost lost RH over the side with a couple of big lunges near the boat.

The end result ... 60cm of hard fighting Kingfish and another first for RH. Had some hard explaining to do as to why we thow back a fish that is that size. Now he wants to get a bigger one so he can keep it ....

post-6181-1198369809_thumb.jpg

There were plenty of rats around there 2day. I was in the blue and white boat to the right of you. I managed to land a 30cm with, i counted 4 of his mates following him. My old man got busted off, he was fishing 4 kilo mono with a 1.5 kilo trace. I told him he was crazy to which he replied, son I'm here for trevally or bream, I'm not here for kingy's. So I called him an idiot :1prop:

10 mins later he managed to hook up a decent king (the thing leeped out of the water) but of course with a 1.5 kilo trace the thing laughed at him and busted him off. 2 seconds later my old man pulled out my 40 pound out fit. I looked at him and said, what happened to the trevs and bream. "Bugger em"

We were just fiishing with pilly tails and a prawns. It was a good day in all, the wind managed to stay down till about 10 - 10:30

There were plenty of rats around there 2day. I was in the blue and white boat to the right of you. I managed to land a 30cm with, i counted 4 of his mates following him. My old man got busted off, he was fishing 4 kilo mono with a 1.5 kilo trace. I told him he was crazy to which he replied, son I'm here for trevally or bream, I'm not here for kingy's. So I called him an idiot :1prop:

10 mins later he managed to hook up a decent king (the thing leeped out of the water) but of course with a 1.5 kilo trace the thing laughed at him and busted him off. 2 seconds later my old man pulled out my 40 pound out fit. I looked at him and said, what happened to the trevs and bream. "Bugger em"

We were just fiishing with pilly tails and a prawns. It was a good day in all, the wind managed to stay down till about 10 - 10:30

Hi Mikey1

Glad you guys also had some fun. I think we took off around 9am. Did the kingies hang around after we left? Any bream arrive?

Hi Mikey1

Glad you guys also had some fun. I think we took off around 9am. Did the kingies hang around after we left? Any bream arrive?

Shortly after you left we decided to call it, but as i was reeling in my line i managed to hook another rat, so we decided to hang round for another 20 mins throwing out pilly tails and using them as lures :P but nah nothing else at all. Headed off to a few other spots after that but didn't really manage anything. The bay was very very quiet for us.