Engine Lock

ishhifay

Hi Raiders,

Wanted to go out for a fish today, but to my luck my 70hp Johnson outboard locked on me. Initially I thought it was my starter motor. Did all the electrical test and it seems fine. However i try to turn my fly wheel manually and it is locked, wont budge a bit. Has any one had a problem like this?

Post replies will be appreciated.

Sammy.

G'Day Sammy,

I had a similar issue with my motor a few months back. Ran the motor before heading to the boat ramp, arrived at the ramp, launched the boat, no start? Motor would not crank over. I also thought the starter motor had died.

On further investigation, I found that the started motor gear had mis-meshed with the fly wheel, causing it to lock up. After freeing the gear and checking the starter motor, all was well. Never had the problem again.

I hope your issue is no more serious than mine was, and that it turns out to be an easy inexpensive fix.

Regards,

Barry.

G'Day Sammy,

I had a similar issue with my motor a few months back. Ran the motor before heading to the boat ramp, arrived at the ramp, launched the boat, no start? Motor would not crank over. I also thought the starter motor had died.

On further investigation, I found that the started motor gear had mis-meshed with the fly wheel, causing it to lock up. After freeing the gear and checking the starter motor, all was well. Never had the problem again.

I hope your issue is no more serious than mine was, and that it turns out to be an easy inexpensive fix.

Regards,

Barry.

Good morning Barry,

Looked into that with no success. But thank you for trying. Hope you had a merry xmas and good luck in new year.

Thanks again

Sammy

Could be a piston stuck in the cylinder. Best left to a mechanic to try and free it up. Could be due to moisture getting into the engine and this can be a major problem if in gets into the crankshaft bearings. I would get it looked at ASAP.

Hi,

I think Im gonna take your advise. Would you know how much Im looking at spending to get it fixed? I just spent $700 on service 3 months ago and the mechanic quoted " I should't see you back in 12 months".

Bloody Spewi'n.

Thanks again.

Good morning Barry,

Looked into that with no success. But thank you for trying. Hope you had a merry xmas and good luck in new year.

Thanks again

Sammy

Hi,

I think Im gonna take your advise. Would you know how much Im looking at spending to get it fixed? I just spent $700 on service 3 months ago and the mechanic quoted " I should't see you back in 12 months".

Bloody Spewi'n.

Thanks again.

Just freeing it up shouldn't cost too much, maybe $150 -200. The reason it has siezed should be investigated though. If saltwater has got into the crankshaft and bearings these will rust quickly and the fine tolerances will be ruined. If run like this the engine will quickly be destroyed so you may need new bearings and perhaps a reconditioned or new crankshaft.

Hopefully it is only a tiny amount of moisture causing the piston to stick and you won't have worry about the above. I wouldn't waste any time getting it looked at as any corrosion will only get worse with time.

Just freeing it up shouldn't cost too much, maybe $150 -200. The reason it has siezed should be investigated though. If saltwater has got into the crankshaft and bearings these will rust quickly and the fine tolerances will be ruined. If run like this the engine will quickly be destroyed so you may need new bearings and perhaps a reconditioned or new crankshaft.

Hopefully it is only a tiny amount of moisture causing the piston to stick and you won't have worry about the above. I wouldn't waste any time getting it looked at as any corrosion will only get worse with time.

Thank's very much mate.

I am very grateful for info :thumbup: . I will contact Huey (Marine Mehcanic) as soon as he gets back from holidays.

Hope you have a happy new year!!

Cheers Sam :thumbup:

Hi Sammy, when you get a chance check your PM, but as I say on that it sounds pretty bad what you are describing and the best thing to do would be give us a call and organise a time to bring the boat by and I can have a look at it and see what is up. it will not ake more than 10 minutes to see if it is repairable and or waht has happened.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guys a locked up piston in the cylinder is when the rings rust on to the cast iron bore of the engine block, this is serious and if successfully freed there is unrepairable damage done to both the rings and bore. Your best chance is to have the motor stripped and the bore honed and new rings fitted. I would take up Hueys offer and get it sorted ASAP.

Hi fellow Raiders,

I have contacted my original marine mechanic and explained my problem. I asked him why this would happend just after he charged me $700.00 on tune up & full service 2 months ago. He was a bit dumbfounded but seemed to be helpful. He told me to relax and he will take care of it. So again i will tust him with ( still have a funnuy gut feeling about this bloke and my boat :( ). I would like to mention eventhou I didnt give Heuy from Huett Marine the chance to look at it I am very greatful for their help and service. Also thanks to all the raiders who took the time and tried to help.

Later on that afternoon, my marine mech explained to me that the motor had a gut full of water and his charging me $200.00 to strip down my outboard to find out exactly what caused the problem.( still have that strange gut feeling :( )

Thanks again.

Sammy (isshfay)

Edited by ishhifay