Northern Beaches Jew Session Sat Night

roosterman

hi guys,

i decided late last night to have a jew session off one of my local beaches last night..headed up to palmy wharf to get livey's and as my luck would have it was very quiet... managed to score a squid pretty quickly but that was it so decided to get some yakkas also... took about half hour till the yakkas showed then got 4..in between i lost 2 other squid,one while lifting out :1badmood: .... was nearing 11pm so decided it was gonna have to be enough and hit the very fishy looking gutter and hole..... threw out the squid first as he didnt like sharing with the yakkas :1prop: .. before i could get other rod sorted the drag starts singing.... oh yeh i think......

get to rod and by now drag hasnt really taken off much by then so my excitement was waning... wait for another little run and lift rod and sink hook in..... after a short pull in(no real fight on 20lb mono) i land a shovelnose around 3ft long. :mad3: my only squid what a waste.. put a live yakka out next and as im about to put 2nd rod out the drag goes again,painstakingly slow once again.... i throw out 2nd rod then go over an pull in a ray abit bigger than dinner plate,bugger not looking like its gonna be a 2hr session if this keeps going...

by 12.30am im down to a butterflied frozen yakka and cuttle that were backup baits..pull the pin at 1am and total for the night was 3 small rays and 3 shovelnoses.. one which i recon was same one but not sure..

was a real nice night anyway and was good to hit the sand for a change as i mostly boat fish these days...

i may try again tonight...

if anyone wants to tag along let me know....

cheers...steve....

Edited by roosterman

hi kilacarp, how far down south newport and is gutter/hole there atm..... i have fished nth end a couple times and biggest thing from there for me was a 6ft bronzy... i may try there this time but by the time i can get out it will prob already be dark so may be harder to find spots not already known... pm me if you want, come along if you want as the company is always welcome....

hi chris how you been mate have you been out lately...

those damn rays n shovels :1badmood: ... that sqiud didnt even have time to work out the change from bucket to ocean before he got hit........ was not the best night fish wise but a pleasant night overall...

i will be getting more livies for tonights session so i wont run out as quickly if pestered again.....

so you recon the ol shovel is good table tucker, is it worth the effort in cleaning if i really wanted fresh fish for dinner.. ive eaten small hammerhead and was nice and a bronzy also...

welcome to join me if you want...... cheers ... steve......

Hi Steve

Hitting the Bay tomorrow morning with Sorro

Had planned to do lots of fishing this week but

what do they say about "the best laid plans .......

:wife: had other ideas and Sorro had the flu :thumbdown:

On the plus side one less daughter at home now :biggrin2:

So long as you bleed them and straight into a

saltwater slurry most shark come out OK

I think you need to incorporate the Blackie floats

into the rig and keep the baits up a bit :074::074:

Chris

dont laugh about using floats mate......

i know of using the ol float system to escape the dreaded sand crabs but i think the way those buggers were feeding they would of swum up off bottom to pinch my hard earned baits......

isnt it a bugger when :wife: turns good fishing plans to shite when the think theyre plans more important... go figure......

hi guys,

i decided late last night to have a jew session off one of my local beaches last night..headed up to palmy wharf to get livey's and as my luck would have it was very quiet... managed to score a squid pretty quickly but that was it so decided to get some yakkas also... took about half hour till the yakkas showed then got 4..in between i lost 2 other squid,one while lifting out :1badmood: .... was nearing 11pm so decided it was gonna have to be enough and hit the very fishy looking gutter and hole..... threw out the squid first as he didnt like sharing with the yakkas :1prop: .. before i could get other rod sorted the drag starts singing.... oh yeh i think......

get to rod and by now drag hasnt really taken off much by then so my excitement was waning... wait for another little run and lift rod and sink hook in..... after a short pull in(no real fight on 20lb mono) i land a shovelnose around 3ft long. :mad3: my only squid what a waste.. put a live yakka out next and as im about to put 2nd rod out the drag goes again,painstakingly slow once again.... i throw out 2nd rod then go over an pull in a ray abit bigger than dinner plate,bugger not looking like its gonna be a 2hr session if this keeps going...

by 12.30am im down to a butterflied frozen yakka and cuttle that were backup baits..pull the pin at 1am and total for the night was 3 small rays and 3 shovelnoses.. one which i recon was same one but not sure..

was a real nice night anyway and was good to hit the sand for a change as i mostly boat fish these days...

i may try again tonight...

if anyone wants to tag along let me know....

cheers...steve....

GDDAY STEVE DRUMMO HERE. MATE I COME FROM MAROUBRA WAY AND JUST HAD 2 DAYS UP YOUR WAY. I SURF ALOT AND THAT AVALON BEACH LOOKS LIKE A GREAT SPOT WITH BIG DEEP GUTTERS. BIG SEAS AT THE MOMENT AS YOU KNOW. I CHASE JEW AROUND THE CONTAINER WHARFS AT PORT BOTANY. HAD MY FAIR SHARE OF PSEUDO JEW RUNS ( RAYS ETC ). KEEP GOING AT IT MATE YOULL GET THERE. ITS GREAT ON THE NORTHSIDE.... I LIKE THE LOOK OF NARRABEEN LAKES TOO. NEXT TIME IM HEADING UP THERE MATE ILL SEND YOU AN EMAIL. I MIGHT RETIRE UP THAT WAY ...... IM A BOATIE WITH MY BRO HEADED UP TO PORT STEPHENS ON THE 7/3/08 TO THE14/03/08 TRY AND GET MY FIRST BEAKIE.

hi Drummo,

there was some nice gutters especially one right in nth corner feeding a hole about 20- 30 mtrs long...

i went the following night and had va911 join me and spent way too long getting livies,they were non existant for a couple hours then once they arrived stocked up for the beach...

me being the optimist die hard i am stayed to fish on at the beach even though i could see the swell had come up and prob too much whitewater/turbulance washing around... abit of weed and current and a couple hours for zip..if i was solo i prob woulda pulled pin quicker as im only down the road but va911 drove a fair way to get here so persisted till he wanted to pull the pin.. was amazing the difference 24hrs made... will be real good off the stones and sand after the swell abates.... lots of new formations and a huge burly ala naturale.....

i fished maroubra as a kid in early 80's and was real good there just a pain like here with surfers but once they move on its ok... with a handle drummo i suppose you fished the stones for pigs/blackfish etc..

i boat fish these days but was great to hit the sand again..... ahhhh back to the simple ways of fishing....

nice warm summers night cooling off in swell when casting, and if lucky the ol alvey singing that lovely tune...

cheers... steve....