Sting Ray Legal Size ?

stylo

id suggest to steer clear of them and just cut them off boat side

mate off mine got stung trying to pull the hook out of a little ray it fell off the hook as he lifted it over the gunnel it dopped onto his calf and i seen the barb go all the way in the calf mussel he tells me it was VERY painfell it also took a long time to heal

i dont think there is a size limit

arman

The fisheries say "sharks and rays - 91cm - 5 in total". I dont think i'd want to bring in a ray and try to measure him tho, I think id want to lop the stinger off before it came out of the water if thats even possible... I dunno - bolt cutters maybe?? I dont think id bother.

There are some people out there who do eat the wings from rays and I have heard of a couple of restaurants in town that cook them.

I worked with an old Spanish bloke who used to do them on a BBQ and I have tried them at his place. Whilst the meat wasnt too bad it seemed like a lot of effort for very little return. He essentially skinned them and scrubbed them with rock salt before adding some concotion to them.

I didnt enjoy it enough to begin to target rays and there is a hell of a lot of wastage.

I say leave the buggers alone they must have some place in the ecosystem aside from just taking hooks off us.

Dave

I say leave the buggers alone they must have some place in the ecosystem aside from just taking hooks off us.

Dave

... and sinker :)

Sting rays are actually great to eat, but they are cheap to buy at the shops. I don't intend to target these creatures myself as I think they will probably rip me to shreds.

We also caught what looks like a sawfish and we were quite suprised as it is an endangered species in NSW.

This was in Forster, by the way.

EDIT:

sawfish --> http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/threatened...angered_species

Edited by stylo

The fisheries say "sharks and rays - 91cm - 5 in total". I dont think i'd want to bring in a ray and try to measure him tho, I think id want to lop the stinger off before it came out of the water if thats even possible... I dunno - bolt cutters maybe?? I dont think id bother.

I believe its 'school' sharks and rays which have a minimum length of 91cm and a bag limit of 5 in total. But in saying that, i find that very ambiguous and how does one determine if a shark is infact a 'school shark'?

Personally, i throw back all sharks and rays so the rule doesnt really affect me, but i find it can be hard to reach some sort of clarity in what they have stated.

Regards,

Daniel

Ahhh... there's nuthin' like the bare foot feeling of stepping onto the body of a ray when wading for flatties... about a millisecond after you put your foot down you register that "that's not sand", and then it starts to move... thats when you lift your foot and GTHOOT!!!

This was one of the creatures we caught. Had a short snout and a few pectoral fins on its back.

Does this look like a sawfish ? Definitely not a ray ?

post-2873-1199734247_thumb.jpg

Definetly shovel nose shark(ray),They are pretty good eating.

Stephen

:1fishing1: