Biodiesel

arpie

Hi guys

A few years ago, after getting a diesel campervan, I was interested in the theory behind making biodiesel as an alternative to regular diesel. With the fuel prices (especially diesel) going thru the roof & likely to do so even more now that the price of oil has just reached a new world high, it seems reasonable to look into it again!

Has anyone ever tried to make it? They reckon most diesel engines/vehicles actually work better on it & the exhaust comes out smelling like hot chips (if using fish & chip shop oil as a base unit.) Initially the Gov didn't charge excise on it, but those making it commercially are now being slugged that as well, preventing it from becoming as commercially economical as the manufacturers would have wanted!

Here is one site I found that seems to de-mystify it & make it sound simple!

http://www.tasmanenergy.com.au/biodiesel.htm

Cheerio

Roberta

On top of being able to make your own fuel, the new generation of small turbo diesel engines are extremely frugal with consumption of around 5L per 100km. Most motoring magazines and the NRMA rate them as a better economical alternative than hybrid cars.

at school last year and this year we are making a veggie oil refining system. we aren't making bio diesel. our system works by run the engine on diesel for the first 5 mins than switching over to pure veggie oil.

However some engine modifications need to be made but the cost is around $1500 which is similar to LPG. it works only on older vechicles pre 2000.

our production cost of our veggie oil are going to be around 10 cents a litre.

i have heard that backyard production of biodiesel is illegel, but i cannot be sure.

at school last year and this year we are making a veggie oil refining system. we aren't making bio diesel. our system works by run the engine on diesel for the first 5 mins than switching over to pure veggie oil.

However some engine modifications need to be made but the cost is around $1500 which is similar to LPG. it works only on older vechicles pre 2000.

our production cost of our veggie oil are going to be around 10 cents a litre.

i have heard that backyard production of biodiesel is illegel, but i cannot be sure.

I'm pretty sure its not illegal for your own use. You don't even have to pay a fuel excise.

Diesel is the way to go. My old car used premium unleaded, which depending on what petrol station you go to, can be more expensive than diesel. My old car's tank was 60L.

I just bought the new Astra turbo diesel. It has a 52L tank. So far, in city driving I did nearly 1000km on a tank of diesel. Was old car was lucky to get 450km from 60L! As the engine is only new, the consumption will even decrease further. At the moment I am avergaing around 5.4 l/100.

I would definately be interested in bio-diesel. I'll do more research as this is a topic i'm also interested in.

Hi Fulsik

That's incredibly easy - I wonder if it does any damage to the engine, seeing as how it has less bits done to it - seems almost too easy!!! It would definitely be smelling Indian or Chippy for it's 'following wind'!

My VW Transporter doesn't need bleeding when you run out of diesel either! THank God!! I discovered that when I ran out the first time in Canberra! Initially NRMA weren't going to come out with some diesel to get me going again, then did some research, found that they didn't need to bleed me & did come out!

I, too, will be doing a bit more research!

Cheers

Roberta

Just noticed this article on a futuristic craft which is powered by biodiesel

that's attempting a record for circumnavigating the globe.

Interesting looking boat eh?

LONDON - A New Zealand-built boat that runs exclusively on biodiesel is set to kick off an attempt to break the world speed record for circumventing the globe in a motorboat next year, its captain says.

The 24 metre Earthrace, skippered by New Zealander Pete Bethune, will set off from Valencia, Spain, on March 1 and traverse the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans as well as the Panama and Suez canals in its more than 24,000-nautical-mile journey.

Bethune will be attempting to break the current world record of 74 days, 20 hours and 58 minutes, established by the Cable and Wireless Adventurer boat in 1998, and said at a London press conference that he believed his trip could help promote biodiesel as a viable alternative to petroleum diesel.

"I wanted to do a positive project run on biodiesel and take it round the world," he explained, noting that some 165,000 litres of biodiesel would be necessary for the trip, which will have a net carbon footprint of zero.

"Politicians in Western Europe must be prepared to stand up to the oil industry and be more supportive of the biofuels industry to make sure the production of biofuels is sustainable."

Along with its green fuel source, the Earthrace also has other ecologically-friendly characteristics, such as non-toxic paint.

It was constructed in Auckland in 14 months at a cost of around $A3.5 million, which Bethune helped fund by selling his house and possessions.

He also made a symbolic gesture towards the project, undergoing liposuction with two other volunteers, which produced 10 litres of human fat -- enough to power the boat for 15 kilometres.

One attribute of the Earthrace boat is that it has the ability to "submarine" through waves, going up to seven metres underwater, enabling it to maintain a higher average speed through big seas, the expedition website says.

post-1685-1199741484_thumb.jpg

The powerboat Earthrace at sea. The wave piercer boat, also dubbed the fastest eco boat on the planet, will attempt to set a new speed record for a powerboat to circumnavigate the globe running 100% biodiesel.

Hi Fulsik

That's incredibly easy - I wonder if it does any damage to the engine, seeing as how it has less bits done to it - seems almost too easy!!! It would definitely be smelling Indian or Chippy for it's 'following wind'!

Cheers

Roberta

Our local fuel outlet went to Bio-Diesel and most of our fleet broke down or started running terribly. We ended up having to replace fuel filters on all of them. Not totally understanding the exact theory behind it all, it read to me that if your using Bio fuel, you have to stick with it. If you mix it with "real fuel" there is some sort of scaling or gumming up that occurs. Very costly having to replace expensive fuel filters all the time. (Some trucks have 3 of them too)

We had our local supplier dump the bio fuel and go back to the real stuff........... not very environmental you say ???????????

We are tree loppers.................... the problem is ????????

hehehehe

Cheers,

Stumpy!

Edited by stumpy

Hi Roberta

My husband is a chemical engineer that has used the following process to make biodiesel. The process he used had to be up to Australian standards.

I asked him to help shed some light on the biodesel debate...

Biodiesel is an alternative diesel fuel that is produced from vegetable oils and animal fats. Biodiesel is a mixture of fatty esters.

In order to make biodiesel it is a very simple process.

The reaction that turns vegetable oil or animal fats to biodiesel is called transesterification.

Materials needed:

Vegetable oil or animal fat

Methanol or Ethanol

Potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide (drain cleaner)

Basically the potassium or sodium hydroxide is mixed with ethanol or methanol. This is the only possible dangerous step if not mixed properly or too quickly. This makes methoxide.

The vegtable oil is heated up to 55 degrees and the methoxide is poured in. The mixture is blended and left to settle for 12 to 24 hours.

Once you get back the solution would be in two layers. The biodiesel layer is on top and a yellow colour. Glycerine is the bottom layer and is brown. The top layer is decanted into a clean container and the glycerine can be sold for other uses such beauty products.

The biodiesel is then washed with water and a simple aerator. This process can be repeated several times in order to clean the biodiesel from by products.

Now you have biodiesel that can be used safely in your car and is within standards set by the australian governement.

Problems running with biodiesel can occur several ways:

Mixing wrong ratios of biodiesel with regular diesel.

Using biodiesel intermittenly with regular diesel.

biodiesel will rot any natural or butyl rubber hosings in your engine. Therefore fuel lines and injector pump seals should be replaced with parts made from viton.

fuel filter must be changed at the start of using biodiesel. Because biodiesel will free up the rust and dirt left from diesel in your tank and will pass through your fuel filter. It must be checked regulary at first.

The process to make biodiesel can vary but the main process is the same.

Biodiesel should be embraced since it is good for the environment, renewable and cheap. You should be encouraged to make your own biodiesel and not be discouraged because of a couple of problems that people have had with using it. You should research it before placing biodiesel in your car.

If anyone would like further information on biodesel send me a PM and I can forward it to you.

Hope this has helped.

Cheers

Queenfish and Mick

Terrifiv informationt there Queenfish & Mick! Many thanks. I bet a few Raiders may start dabbling in it ...... I'd have to convince the other half first that it won't hurt our beloved camper!!!

It seems silly not to at least try it, given the ridiculous price of diesel right now - it is processed less than petrol but costs more, as the Gov knows that more 'non-rural' people are using it, so they can make a quick buck from all the excise on it! It wasn't that long ago that diesel was about half the price of petrol!! Most 'youngies' don't know that!

Do it right the first time & you shouldn't have problems, I guess.

Cheerio

Roberta

Do you need any special licence to be able to buy ethanol/methanol?

The new world wide low sulfur diesel rules have made it more expensive as low sulfur base crude has gone up and is pretty rare. Scrubbing to get sulfur out is the companies excuse to put up the base price as they either pay more for the good crude or spend more time / energy scrubbing high sulfur crude. This is the same refiners that didn't update their gear for 20 years and then held the Govt to ransom and the public as well.

Diesel today is much better in regards to corrosive contaminants, ash and soot than of 10 years ago which is what is enabling all these small lighter engines in the cars and small machinery to run and comply. Will be interesting to see how the new environment laws get introduced with diesel engines as there are different measures.

It's expensive but still less than half the price it is in Uk for instance.

Terrifiv informationt there Queenfish & Mick! Many thanks. I bet a few Raiders may start dabbling in it ...... I'd have to convince the other half first that it won't hurt our beloved camper!!!

It seems silly not to at least try it, given the ridiculous price of diesel right now - it is processed less than petrol but costs more, as the Gov knows that more 'non-rural' people are using it, so they can make a quick buck from all the excise on it! It wasn't that long ago that diesel was about half the price of petrol!! Most 'youngies' don't know that!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta

Just checked with hubby you don't need a special licence and should be able to pick some up from any hardware store.

That's it if you do it right the first time you shouldn't have any problems.

Regards

Queenfish.

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta

Just checked with hubby you don't need a special licence and should be able to pick some up from any hardware store.

That's it if you do it right the first time you shouldn't have any problems.

Regards

Queenfish.