Just My Luck

mark84

i am currently building a bf 5144 up and was just doing some finishing touches before i put a coat of epoxy on it when i accidently walked past a chair and the but got caught between the floor and the chair leg......................................................... SNAP fu#@ i am devastated as i was given the blank and they do not make the exact same any more it broke about 10cm above the upper grip is there any way i can save this rod. It is still together just cracked and caved in on one side i had in mind fibreglass sheets??? any help would be muchly appreciated cheers.

Edited by mark84

Ya can't trust those mongrel chairs, or car doors, or overhead ceiling fans ...... :1badmood:

So sorry to hear of your "SNAP fu#@" - I would have been in tears!!! :( However, if it is that close to the butt end (10cm from the grip), you may be able to glue an inner sleeve inside & 'bind over' the break to make it look like part of the design - it will make the butt end stronger & shouldn't affect the fish playing ability with minimal addition or difference to the weight/balance.

Post up a picture of the damaged bit, in relation to the grips - I am sure someone will have some better advise to offer.

Cheers

Roberta

bad luck mark :ranting2:

try finding same diameter scrap old fishing rods[inside diameter ] use as sleeve with epoxy

it will have plenty of butt strength and should not affect flex in the rod

good luck

peter :1fishing1:

maybe take off butt cap and sleeve from there

Edited by luderick59

thankyou for the advise roberta and peter.

roberta i will post a pic when i get my camera back my beter half is out and has it at the moment.

i just measured how far from the but it is it starts from approx 45cm up till around 50cm up have you any other ideas of what to use to sleeve it. i was thinking of somehow putting a couple of sheets of fibre glass over it and then binding over it with cotton cord i used for the grip and then coating it in shelak???? a sleeve sounds easier and better if i can find something to do the job.. i must admit i had a couple of :beersmile: whilst i was watching a bit of cricket and i was going to the fridge to top up when i did it. served me right in a way..

Hi mark

Look forward to seeing the pics - then others may jump onto the thread to offer their Two Bits!

I seriously do not think an external sleeve of fibreglass would be sufficient on it's own - more decorative than strong. If anything, do both internal and external - however the external would really not be necessary if you used the same coloured thread as your other bindings, & then over coat with epoxy, to make it look a deliberate part of the rod!

I hang onto any broken rods that I find (or do myself - not many thank God!) & have used quite a few for internal sleeves on mate's rods that I have fixed. Give Ceph & Fishfinder Tony a pm & ask for the expert's advice ..... I reckon you will get it almost like new eventually!

Do it right the first time and you'll be forever happy. Stuff around with it & it'll break again at the same spot.

Expensive beer! :beersmile::(

Roberta

Oh dear, Mark!

Has it broken right thru on the other side or is it still hanging in there? You'd need to separate the two bits as cleanly as you can, then set about doing the internal sleeve & external thread work & epoxy. I hope the break hasn't split too far along the fibre? Have you got a photo of the other side as well to show it???

Cheerio

Roberta

Mark personally i think it is gone

if you internal sleeve the butt.

wouldn,t you just move the load point to come to the end of the sleeve you have put in the blank

which under great load will break at that point as the double sleeve will not bent a s much as you single unsleeved blank.

i hope that makes sense. i will draw a picturepost-2305-1199961374_thumb.jpg

roberta no its not the whole way through im going to cut it through tommorow and give it a go. the split is about 5-7cm long i got my fingers crossed.

johnno i think you could be right but im going to attept to fix it and then just test it out by getting a mate to grab some line and il pull back like fighting a fish il do it to what i think is sufficent and if it breaks again it breaks if not happy days i appreciate the imput.

so i guess theres no harm in trying do you think i should use a large sleeve or just enough to to keep it together (like 20cm or so) ????? why oh why.. :mad3::1badmood::(:05::ranting2::wacko::tease:

roberta no its not the whole way through im going to cut it through tommorow and give it a go. the split is about 5-7cm long i got my fingers crossed.

johnno i think you could be right but im going to attept to fix it and then just test it out by getting a mate to grab some line and il pull back like fighting a fish il do it to what i think is sufficent and if it breaks again it breaks if not happy days i appreciate the imput.

so i guess theres no harm in trying do you think i should use a large sleeve or just enough to to keep it together (like 20cm or so) ????? why oh why.. :mad3::1badmood::(:05::ranting2::wacko::tease:

Whatever you do. i'd make sleeve at least 30cm . and spend a bit of time sanding down the internal of sleeve, tapering it. both ends.So as not to form to much of a hard spot. where it ends at each end. Inside blank.

Where it is, it shouldn't affect action too much... Just give a bit more grunt...

macka17

Aaaagh! Mark - don't let your buddy pull the rod tip to test it ....... just put the reel on with line & test it with a weight on the end of the line ...... better still, just take it out & fish with it! More rods are busted 'testing the curve by hand' than have ever been busted with a fair dinkum fish on the end!!!

Tapering the sleeve is a top idea - about 50/50 sounds good - maybe up to the 20-30cm, definitely no longer - test it before you glue it in permanently. You will be able to see how it loads up. It shouldn't affect the 'fighting end' too much. make sure you allow the glue & epoxy/varnish totally cure before being tempted to take it fishin'!

Well worth the effort in trying it, anyway, instead of tossing it!!! If you toss it, you can toss it my way :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta

Aaaagh! Mark - don't let your buddy pull the rod tip to test it ....... just put the reel on with line & test it with a weight on the end of the line ...... better still, just take it out & fish with it! More rods are busted 'testing the curve by hand' than have ever been busted with a fair dinkum fish on the end!!!

Tapering the sleeve is a top idea - about 50/50 sounds good - maybe up to the 20-30cm, definitely no longer - test it before you glue it in permanently. You will be able to see how it loads up. It shouldn't affect the 'fighting end' too much. make sure you allow the glue & epoxy/varnish totally cure before being tempted to take it fishin'!

Well worth the effort in trying it, anyway, instead of tossing it!!! If you toss it, you can toss it my way :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta

sorry roberta that is what i meant by putting a reel on and feeding the line through i was just in a bit of a rush.. i dont even understand myself sometimes.

the reason i am so interested in fixing it is 1 royce gave the blank to me and i value that greatly

2 they do not make them anymore and its the one i want you may be familiar with the 5144 made by butterworth (i think) which royce has also and i gave it a go and it was peeeerfect for my likings and i just took the measurements off of his to replecate it as he told me the blanks are identical apart from the colour.

so i guess its just one of those things. and its just my luck to be a cluts and break it i spent so much time on it aswell.

fishguts- time may heal but the amount of time it will take is certainly worth me trying to fix it. just ask my better half she wants me to take it to a store to get it done properly just to shut me up....... what does she know :1prop:

Hi Mark

Ooooh - a nice butterworth - one of the nice 'see through' red ones?? I always keep my eyes open in the junk shops for those ones, just in case I find one!

I just re-bound all the runners on my 83 year old's blackie rod that must be 40 years old & it is a butterworth! I was drooling at the mouth!

Yours sounds like a beach or rock jewie rod? Would that be right?? Good luck on the repair - I still reckon it'll come up a beaut!

Cheerio

Roberta

BTGW I pm'd Royce but got no reply - he should be hitting the blackies in NZ bigtime!! THey only grow in 2 sizes - big & bigger!!

roberta no sorry its a bf 5144 so its a very thin diameter and bends all the way down to the bottom. i was talking to the old fella at bohms in narrabeen and he said they stopped making the blackfish model.

and i spoke to royce at christmas time he hadnt caught a (parore) as yet i think he was finding it hard to steer clear of the reddies. i grew up in nelson at the top of the south island but have plenty of family in tauranga and taupo if only i knew about them then. but i was happy enough with snapper blue cod and gurnard back then.

Hi Mark

All the more reason to try the repair & get it going again! If you could find a 'floppy' bit of inner sleeve, all the better (rather than a real stiff one!)

I lived in Auckland for 15 years & stayed at Tauranga & Pauanui many a time & would watch these huge fish hanging around & no-one fishing for them! Seemed wrong! I know the Maoris love them for hangis. I often smoke mine.

Even when I came to Forster, I would watch the old fellas & think it was a boring way to fish! Ha! Was I wrong!?

Put a piccie up of the rod when you have effected your repair, then another pic of the first fish!!! :thumbup:

Cheerio

Roberta

dont you worry roberta il be puting up several pics of the fish i catch with it when its done im just a bit stretched for time at the moment but im going up to the gold coast in feb (driving) so il be making a few stops on the way hopefully il have plenty to brag about. i better start being extra nice to my better half so i can get as much time fishing as possible. lol :1prop::1fishing1:

oh I have only been blackfishing for about a year now and i very rarely fish for anything else im hooked for sure i always get comments by passers by "thats the old fellas fishing" if only they knew. but im glad they dont.. hehehehe :074:

i am currently building a bf 5144 up and was just doing some finishing touches before i put a coat of epoxy on it when i accidently walked past a chair and the but got caught between the floor and the chair leg......................................................... SNAP fu#@ i am devastated as i was given the blank and they do not make the exact same any more it broke about 10cm above the upper grip is there any way i can save this rod. It is still together just cracked and caved in on one side i had in mind fibreglass sheets??? any help would be muchly appreciated cheers.

My son several years ago managed to crack the side wall of his 4144 a couple of feet up from the butt. Treading on them does not help much! I repaired it with fibreglass matt & resin and it is still going strong, without a sleeve on the inside. It does not look so great as I am not an artist in fibreglass, but it continues to pull fish. However it may not be as bad a break as your rod has suffered.

My son several years ago managed to crack the side wall of his 4144 a couple of feet up from the butt. Treading on them does not help much! I repaired it with fibreglass matt & resin and it is still going strong, without a sleeve on the inside. It does not look so great as I am not an artist in fibreglass, but it continues to pull fish. However it may not be as bad a break as your rod has suffered.

that was my first thgought cameron but i have now got pieces of a 4144 to sleeve it with but if that doesnt work il be giving it a go. did you find it hard to do??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark

Ooooh - a nice butterworth - one of the nice 'see through' red ones?? I always keep my eyes open in the junk shops for those ones, just in case I find one!

I just re-bound all the runners on my 83 year old's blackie rod that must be 40 years old & it is a butterworth! I was drooling at the mouth!

Yours sounds like a beach or rock jewie rod? Would that be right?? Good luck on the repair - I still reckon it'll come up a beaut!

Cheerio

Roberta

BTGW I pm'd Royce but got no reply - he should be hitting the blackies in NZ bigtime!! THey only grow in 2 sizes - big & bigger!!

G'day all

just bee nslack and loads of work on i got oneblackie in Auckland that went 6lb plus down off the wharves i'm now in windy Wellington chasing brown trout and kahwai in the Hutt River, frustrating! And oh Roberta my butterworth is one of the very early yellow ones also got one of Dads very early dark brown butterworths!

I'll get my act together when i get a computer and net access up and running.

Later all

Roberta

:1welcomeani: Back Royce!! Great to hear from you!!

Ooooh - I'd love to see the photo of that 6lber!! :1yikes: Hope you got one! Wouldn't he have 'gone'!!

Have fun chasing those pesky little (big!!) brown trout & kawhai!! Don't forget you are just a hop skip & a jump from Nelson - terrific trout in most of the rivers on the way to The Spit ..... just pull over off the road & fish them right there! Visit Pupu Springs & see some monsters! Also some salmon escaped from a farm up near there & they reckon they have also established themselves! Lovely part of the world there, too. We had planned on 'retiring' to Nelson area 10 years ago when we lived in Auckland .... but the cold (crisp tho it was) would have got me down! Hence our trip to Aussie to find a spot & we found Forster!! :thumbup::yahoo: :

Looking forward to hearing your NZ reports!

Roberta

Those old rods would be a joy to use with a mini float!

yeah ..... it was in winter tho! :wacko: They reckon they have more sun during the year than northern NZ :thumbup: even tho they have snow capped mountains hanging over them in winter! :1yikes:

It is a magic spot - I love the Nelson/Richmond/Brightwater area. Love going over the mountain to Takaka - had friends that lived on one of the estuaries there .... absolutely gorgeous! Love the south island in general.

One word (or two) of advice .... don't sell your house here till you stay there for a whole year!!! :biggrin2: Just in case the joy wears off quicker than you thought!

Roberta