Old Mans Hat Sunday 6th January

kingiemaster

Firstly, big thanks to my fishing buddy Johnny for bailing out of a Kingie session on the harbour as I ended up having a great rock session for the first fish of the new year. Having sussed out the sea conditions from Balgowlah Heights while having my Sunday morning take away coffee I concluded rock fishing was a goer despite the doomsday forecasts and the big seas of the previous days.

Got down to Old Mans Hat about 9.30 and the conditions were even better than expected. Nice swell and rough enough for the fish to be biting but not dangerous in any way. Westerlies had flattened off the easterly swell and none of the waves were coming over the platform (only spray). And I had the platform to myself.

Rigged up and ready to go the water looked very fishy with plenty of white water and movement. Had that feeling it was going to be a good day. Ya, know what I mean?

First cast with blackfish outfit with a view to catching a couple of blackies for a feed before trying my luck on the drummer. BANG I’m on... for about 3 seconds. Gone. :( At least I got my float back.

Still shaking and excited I thought OK, no more mucking around with light gear. Bring on the drummer outfit!

BANG I’m on. For about 5 seconds. Damn it. :1badmood: Wind it in, knot failure with the new mono leader that is a bit softer than what I usually use. Will have to be really careful with next knot.

TAP TAP, I’m on and drag in an undersized blackie across the water. Cool I thought, despite using heavier gear I can still catch a feed of blackies and still have a shot at the drummer.

After a few casts, rebaiting and mucking around trying to get the float in what I call "The Big Drummer Boy Zone", BANG I’m on again....for 6 seconds. Wind in and find the lines frayed. Too slow winding in the slack giving it too much line in rough country. But at least I’m getting closer to landing one. Next cast another blackie at 33cm. Then things went a bit quiet and I’m thinking I might have blown it and missed my opportunity.

Then BANG I’m on again only this time I’m ready and stay connected. Bit of tussle close to the nasty cunje covered ledge then a perfect wave to get onto the platform. Yee hah! A lovely fat 50 cm drummer :thumbup: , 3 cm shy of my PB. I get another 40cm model.

As the tide went out the swell was getting steeper and closing out in the shallower water making it hard to keep the float in the zone. So I re rigged the light outfit and went to an easy to fish corner of the platform. And I’m onto a nice mid-sized blackie, And then again but hooked pulled. Got a few more downs but the lure of the big boys had me back to using the the drummer outfit. Dragged in another blackie that went 40cm. Then got smashed again but it tangled me up in the kelp so I called it a day.

So great start of the season for me. I spent the better part of the day there so it wasn’t red hot but the drummer seemed to be on the chew more than the blackies making up for the quieter moments. It’s just nice when everything more or less works out as planned. It’s the first time I have specifically targeted and caught decent drummer. Given the relative ease of the drummer I landed I reckon a couple fish I lost must have been pretty serious. Now I’m keener than ever break my PB. Still a chance there could be surgeons but more likely big drummer ie well over 50cm

Till next time

Dave

post-3858-1199678649_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave

Well done!! Don't those drummer go?? Gotta be happy with that. When the water is a bit too rough, try fishing without the float - I find it just takes you away from the "zone". Were you using weed, cabbage or cunje?

We had a good go this morning on cunje for 10 blackies & 1 drummer kept. My brother Cam is out as I write with our neighbour trying to score some more! Terrific fun & the feed is the bonus!

When Cam returns to Sydney you may see him down Balgowlah way ..... :1prop:

Cheers

Roberta

well done mate on the fish nicly done

i dont no how you wernt getting that swell mate yesterday me and my brother fished stanwell park

up until 10'30 we got there 6'30 went south to get away from yhe big surf but no good the swell there

was about 6 to 7 foot big forgot my big sinkers i made a swivle running sinker with about 8 pyramid size 3

still getting pushed down the beach then went to the mouth of port hacking we ahd protection a lot carmer still the swell was still getting us :thumbup:

When the water is a bit too rough, try fishing without the float - I find it just takes you away from the "zone". Were you using weed, cabbage or cunje?

Hi Roberta

Was using cabbage. Float is more or less a must as the "zone" in question, a kelp invested nugget, is 20-30 feet from the platform. Wind was turning easterly. I also like to stand a few feet in from the edge so I don't get drenched by the spray. I sometimes go floatless when it's not as rough as I can stand on right on the edge of the more exposed parts of the platform and simply drop the bait in nice bits of water. A westerly also helps as you can use less weight.

Dave

PS. PM me if you like as I'd be happy to go for a fish with Cam or you for that matter if when your in Sydney again. Also my old man is thinking about moving up your way from Bermagui and I'm keen to find out more about the area. From what I've seen and heard it's a nice part of world.

No worries, Dave! When you or your Dad come up for a reccie, I can show you a few good spots! ;) He'll love it. Also warmer than down south! :1clap: It is fishing heaven! My brother Cam only arrived up yesterday pm & at 7amam this morning, we were dragging in the blackies & a drummer!! Cam is still down there again, with my neighbour (as I write) trying for some more, in a couple of other spots! He wants to fill the freezer with fillets to take home with him when he goes!

I understand your desire not to get drenched - as I did today! From head to foot! :(

Shame about the kelp - a real tackle magnet. The high seas have exposed a few more rocks off our local hot spots - so we snagged up a few times, but Cam only lost the one set of gear. He'd love to fish with you (as will I next time I am down ....) so you can expect a yahoo!!

Here is a post I did about Forster back in Oct 2006!

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=14550

It is like you have died & gone to Fishing Heaven!

Cheers for now

Roberta

Firstly, big thanks to my fishing buddy Johnny for bailing out of a Kingie session on the harbour as I ended up having a great rock session for the first fish of the new year. Having sussed out the sea conditions from Balgowlah Heights while having my Sunday morning take away coffee I concluded rock fishing was a goer despite the doomsday forecasts and the big seas of the previous days.

Got down to Old Mans Hat about 9.30 and the conditions were even better than expected. Nice swell and rough enough for the fish to be biting but not dangerous in any way. Westerlies had flattened off the easterly swell and none of the waves were coming over the platform (only spray). And I had the platform to myself.

Rigged up and ready to go the water looked very fishy with plenty of white water and movement. Had that feeling it was going to be a good day. Ya, know what I mean?

First cast with blackfish outfit with a view to catching a couple of blackies for a feed before trying my luck on the drummer. BANG I’m on... for about 3 seconds. Gone. :( At least I got my float back.

Still shaking and excited I thought OK, no more mucking around with light gear. Bring on the drummer outfit!

BANG I’m on. For about 5 seconds. Damn it. :1badmood: Wind it in, knot failure with the new mono leader that is a bit softer than what I usually use. Will have to be really careful with next knot.

TAP TAP, I’m on and drag in an undersized blackie across the water. Cool I thought, despite using heavier gear I can still catch a feed of blackies and still have a shot at the drummer.

After a few casts, rebaiting and mucking around trying to get the float in what I call "The Big Drummer Boy Zone", BANG I’m on again....for 6 seconds. Wind in and find the lines frayed. Too slow winding in the slack giving it too much line in rough country. But at least I’m getting closer to landing one. Next cast another blackie at 33cm. Then things went a bit quiet and I’m thinking I might have blown it and missed my opportunity.

Then BANG I’m on again only this time I’m ready and stay connected. Bit of tussle close to the nasty cunje covered ledge then a perfect wave to get onto the platform. Yee hah! A lovely fat 50 cm drummer :thumbup: , 3 cm shy of my PB. I get another 40cm model.

As the tide went out the swell was getting steeper and closing out in the shallower water making it hard to keep the float in the zone. So I re rigged the light outfit and went to an easy to fish corner of the platform. And I’m onto a nice mid-sized blackie, And then again but hooked pulled. Got a few more downs but the lure of the big boys had me back to using the the drummer outfit. Dragged in another blackie that went 40cm. Then got smashed again but it tangled me up in the kelp so I called it a day.

So great start of the season for me. I spent the better part of the day there so it wasn’t red hot but the drummer seemed to be on the chew more than the blackies making up for the quieter moments. It’s just nice when everything more or less works out as planned. It’s the first time I have specifically targeted and caught decent drummer. Given the relative ease of the drummer I landed I reckon a couple fish I lost must have been pretty serious. Now I’m keener than ever break my PB. Still a chance there could be surgeons but more likely big drummer ie well over 50cm

Till next time

Dave

post-3858-1199678649_thumb.jpg

awesome catch there Dave. I fished OMH a few weeks back using cunji and got bricked by a few solid drummer no doubt. Which ledge/gutter were you fishing? I was on the main ledge facing east. I see many fishos try that spot for nothing, but it does tend to fire up when the NE are on the up.

awesome catch there Dave. I fished OMH a few weeks back using cunji and got bricked by a few solid drummer no doubt. Which ledge/gutter were you fishing? I was on the main ledge facing east. I see many fishos try that spot for nothing, but it does tend to fire up when the NE are on the up.

I fish the main ledge facing east. You can also fish the same water from the lower ledge in the corner that faces south. I just fish the same spot out of habbit and to some extent convience and safety. Blackfish and bream patrol the entire area and can be caught anywhere around the platform but the drummer seem to prefer that north east corner where, funnily enough, there are lots of bolders, nuggets and kelp.

Dave