First Time On The Harbour Need Help.

nixmel

I'm planning on going out on the Harbour this Saturday night and was wondering if anyone could give us steer in the right direction, as far as areas and the best boat ramps to use.

I thinking about using the ramp near Drumoyne, i don't want to spend too much time traveling on the water.

I'm not after anyones secret spots just a a few genral spots.

I have a 15 foot run about set up for fishing but don't want to go too close to the heads.

Thanks for any assistance :thumbup:

G'day Nixmel ,

I fish the Harbour regularly , and I would recommend the ramp at Rose Bay , for a couple of reasons.

Firstly , it is a good ramp , well lit at night , and is patrolled by Council Rangers .

Secondly , a 2 minute motor from the ramp sees you right in the middle of the Harbour proper , which can be very handy if the weather turns nasty , I would much prefer a 5 minute trip back to the ramp , than a 30 minute odyssey in rough water etc. From Rose Bay , the Harbour Bridge is about 5 minutes , Watsons Bay and the Wedding Cakes about 7 minutes , Middle Harbour in under 20.

Be very careful if you go under the Harbour Bridge , the water is usually quite turbulent all the way to the Opera House , and for a first timer at night , I would not recommend it .

River Cats.

Keep your eyes peeled for these things , they are very big , very fast and coming from behind VERY QUIET. They can literally appear from nowhere if you dont watch for them.

There are lots of good spots in the Harbour , I like to fish around the moored boats in Elizabeth , Rose and Watsons Bays . On the Northern side of the Harbour , the bay next to Taronga Zoo holds good plate sized flatties , and 1Kg Bream are not unknown.

If you are after Kingfish , fresh squid is arguably the most succesful bait , popular spots for kings are the Yellow marker between Rose and Watsons Bay , and the wedding Cake at the entrance to Watsons Bay.

Before you leave , be sure to check the BOM forecast , and check Seabreeze ( we have provided buttons at the top of the page that will take you straight to these sites). Just a word of warning , if there is a strong Nor'Easter blowing , the Harbour can get VERY lumpy.

Good luck , and keep it safe !

Ross

I'm planning on going out on the Harbour this Saturday night and was wondering if anyone could give us steer in the right direction, as far as areas and the best boat ramps to use.

I thinking about using the ramp near Drumoyne, i don't want to spend too much time traveling on the water.

I'm not after anyones secret spots just a a few genral spots.

I have a 15 foot run about set up for fishing but don't want to go too close to the heads.

Thanks for any assistance :thumbup:

you will be suprised how dark the harbour is at night! not a bad idea to check it out in the day time 1st, but on weekends there is allot of boat traffic. week days are better

a NW 17nots is predicted so take it easy

not that im an expert on kings, but i dont hear of people catching them at night so much. if it wasnt so windy i would suggest fishing around cliffton gardens for jews with a couple of bream rods out

Im sticking to the river sat night if all goes to plan

good luck

Hi Ross

What way do you use to get to Rose Bay M4, parra, west city link and cross city tunnel? Thinking of taking the tribe for a trip on the harbour during the day, but getting there from BM doesnt excite me.

Edited by achjimmy