Hull Cleaning

arkedup

hi all

I am about to clean my fibreglass hull ,a guy said that i should use some Oxallic Acid and it will make the job much easier for me. He said to mix with water brush on, leave for 5 mins then water blast it off

Has anyone used Oxallic Acid to clean their hull ?? if so are there any dos and do nots I should know about

regards

arked

hi all

I am about to clean my fibreglass hull ,a guy said that i should use some Oxallic Acid and it will make the job much easier for me. He said to mix with water brush on, leave for 5 mins then water blast it off

Has anyone used Oxallic Acid to clean their hull ?? if so are there any dos and do nots I should know about

regards

arked

Hi Guys

so i supose by the lack of replys noone has used it or heard of it either

Low solutions of phosphiric and oxilic acid are used to get the rust / slime from gel coat with varying degrees of successs depending on if it is a rust stain from "stainless " fitings or if it is a water stain. Not sure what chemical is in CLR and such. Always test a spot. As with all acids be very carefull and rince it all off at the end and neutralise with a soapy water solution. Recoat the area with a good wax or silicon treatment after polishing as the acid seems to open all the texture in the gelcoat and it gets dirty twice as fast.

There is a couple of acid based boat washes the detailers use as part of a sysyem be it 3M or another brand so have a read on the 3M website.

Like all acids they do react with metal so make sure your trailer is protected and rinsed off.

Pel