Braid - Slippage On The Spool

yakfishing

Gday,

I impatiently loaded up my new reel with fireline as I was itchn for some fishn and then read on the leaflet inside that to prevent slippage - back the spool with some mono. Is it worth taking off all the line, doing this and then re-spooling it again or is not very likely to be a problem? Also does anyone know what they mean by "line twists" when spooling?

Cheers

G'day mate.

You definately need mono backing on your spool. It does prevent the braid slipping on the spool. Also, if you've only used a spool of fireline to fill your reel, I bet the reel looks like it could use a lot more line????

Line twist when spooling your reel means pretty much that. The line twists as your loading your reel and so your first cast will end in a big birds nest as the twisted line attempts to peel off during the cast.

I follow the spooling directions on the box of fireline and it seems to work fine.

Your local tackle shop can offer a lot of help in this area and can spool reels for you as well.

Cheers

David.

Agree with the mono backing. I have never spooled up without backing so I have not experienced slippage.

Here are some good tips for spooling.

It is not braid or fireline specifically but makes good sense and can be applied generally.

Edited by stylo

G'day mate.

You definately need mono backing on your spool. It does prevent the braid slipping on the spool. Also, if you've only used a spool of fireline to fill your reel, I bet the reel looks like it could use a lot more line????

Line twist when spooling your reel means pretty much that. The line twists as your loading your reel and so your first cast will end in a big birds nest as the twisted line attempts to peel off during the cast.

I follow the spooling directions on the box of fireline and it seems to work fine.

Your local tackle shop can offer a lot of help in this area and can spool reels for you as well.

Cheers

David.

Bugger! Yeah I have a habit of jumping the gun when Im itching to get out there, it could definitely do with a bit more line! (its only a 2500 reel so dont need too much more). I'd prefer to do everything myself (for personal satisfaction) including spooling, so before I stuff up more - should I just strip the line off back onto the fireline spool the same way it came off - its not gonna cause me any more grief? And when the line just wants to spring off is that what you mean by a line twist?

Thanks guys

G'day again,

I'm not sure what the best thing to do is but obviously it needs to come off so you can put some backing on before the braid.

I haven't actually had this problem before but I'm guessing if you wind it back off the reel onto the spool the same way it came off that should be fine.

I'm sure others will have some better advice in due course so perhaps hold off until more people reply.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

David.

should be sweetas mate just load it up on another reel then put some backing onto the reel in question not too little not too much wana get that perfect amount for maximum casting distance and minimum how do i put it (line springs off spool if too much line when you open bail arm) once you have enough backing then tie lines together i use albright knot which you can find in the knot section and just reel it back on, too easy.

Mate

Before you take the braid off attach the mono and wind on the amount you need to fill the reel. then transfer this to the spare reel, this will allow you to have the exact amount, and eliminates any guess work.

top idea mate il do that myself next time a little thinking goes a long way huh

Definately take the line back off and put some mono on, it doesnt need much and saves a lot of embrassment later too.

1kg bream at the vines and i was winding for 1/2 hr wondering why i was getting nowhere, thought the reel had gone rs. Put the gloves on and pulled it in by hand, then 1hr od so later realised what was wrong.

Now i never forget :1prop::1prop::1prop:

cheers

Definately take the line back off and put some mono on, it doesnt need much and saves a lot of embrassment later too.

1kg bream at the vines and i was winding for 1/2 hr wondering why i was getting nowhere, thought the reel had gone rs. Put the gloves on and pulled it in by hand, then 1hr od so later realised what was wrong.

Now i never forget :1prop::1prop::1prop:

cheers

Best way to learn is from making mistakes, ........ or reading this site.

Cheers.

Gday,

I impatiently loaded up my new reel with fireline as I was itchn for some fishn and then read on the leaflet inside that to prevent slippage - back the spool with some mono. Is it worth taking off all the line, doing this and then re-spooling it again or is not very likely to be a problem? Also does anyone know what they mean by "line twists" when spooling?

Cheers

hi yakfishing! all good advice above, but if you ever do a full respool and dont want to knot up!(no backing)

three winds of a good electrical tape on spool first and i have never had a prob with full braid!

..cheers!..stevo!..

P.S. yes tape gets wet....but shrinks when dry!....

hey fishguts, i've read about this interesting practice!

But, what if you get spooled by a big fish .. wouldn't you lose all your line ?

hi stylo! as initial line chokes like you do a chooks neck it is not a problem, i am running

13kg line with no slip, so if i get spooled it is a stonker of hell or i have a problem with my reel!

you gotta think it is only the initial bite that must maintain hold and the rest will automatically follow on

and therefore lay tighter on the spool X 50, X100yards and so forth ..test it your self by hand

you will not move it..i could'nt!

..cheers!..stevo!..

hi stylo! as initial line chokes like you do a chooks neck it is not a problem, i am running

13kg line with no slip, so if i get spooled it is a stonker of hell or i have a problem with my reel!

you gotta think it is only the initial bite that must maintain hold and the rest will automatically follow on

and therefore lay tighter on the spool X 50, X100yards and so forth ..test it your self by hand

you will not move it..i could'nt!

..cheers!..stevo!..

come to think of it, if you are getting spooled by a big'un, a knot on the spool will probably not hold either!

it's just not likely to happen is it ?

thanks

come to think of it, if you are getting spooled by a big'un, a knot on the spool will probably not hold either!

it's just not likely to happen is it ?

thanks

all good stylo! if you are getting spooled by something it means just that! he is too big and maybe

time too cut him off!..like i said i'm on 13 kg if he is gonna cost me $80.00....see yaa!

talk to ya soon!

..cheers!..stevo!..

Just had a think about it, and slight problem with Marks idea to get the right amount of mono (good tho it may be :thumbup: ). I only have the one reel (its my new one) that I want to load up with the braid. If I attach some mono to the top of my braid and wind that on to my arsed up reel (reel A), it would work well if I was transferring it to another reel ( reel B ) permanently - because if I xfer it from A to B then back to A again, the mono will still be at the top. The only way I could make that work (ok this might get more confusing :wacko:) is if I xfer it from A to B to another reel ( reel C ) and then back to A again (does this make sense or am I way off??) That way the mono should be at the top of reel C so I can attach it to reel A, wind it on, and happy days. Would that be the best way to go about it or am I over-complicating the matter? If that’s the case I may have to swallow my pride and visit the local tackle store as I don’t have two unspooled reels lying around.

Edited by yakfishing

Thanks raiders at least Ill get this sorted before I hook on to a decent fish and learn the hard way. This forum is priceless!

hi yakfishing! it is also a good policy to have a friend dip your new line in a bucket of freshwater

while you wind it on....i am sure you will work it out!...all the best !

..cheers!..stevo!..

Edited by fishguts

I use a large deep sea alvey snapper winch for my spooling up and it doesnt take long to remove a few hundred metres of braid and adjust the backing if it is too much,I always put a bit extra on and in time you will see by the depth of the spool that you are close to the mark :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

• 3 weeks later...

Gday,

Cheers

It is WAY!!! worth it. i agree electrical tape can work as well as mono. but what i fine works better is to put some tape over the knot before spooling.

please contact me if you cannot under stand that description as it is very easy with best results.