Advise Needed

marcel haber

Taking the family to Fingal Bay on the 20th Jan , staying at the

fbay holiday centre on Marine Drive opposite the surf club and fingal beach.

Would like to do some beach fishing, rock fishing with an adult and some jetty fishing with the kids.

Can any fellow raiders suggest some spots this time of year to try within this area.

Is the surf beach in front of the surf club worth a try. I didnt fish this spot for the water here seemed shallow and I could walk out a long way without my rod making deeper water.

What are your suggestions, will be in the area for a week.

Tight lines.

Marcel

Twin1

P.s What rig should I use for fishing off the beach, I have very little experience when it comes to beach fishing.... should I be using a float etc.

Thanx in advance. :1fishing1:

Hi Marcel,

Fingal bay is a top spot. I fished it about 3 days a week every week last summer. Big (1kg+) calamari are prolific along the rocky shoreline, they're not fussy like Sydney squid and will climb all over cheapo jigs. Also 7" pink Gulps! threaded onto a spike are deadly. Steady's in Nelson Bay sell em. I found best results by suspending the jig/spike under a pencil float about a foot above the kelp and letting the swell do the work. Watch for the down and gently reel in. Some days we'd bag out in under an hour. Along the southernmost shoreline there's a reliable blackie platform, but you'll have plenty of company so get out early. The spit should be producing good flatties & whiting now, and "kiddies corner" (ask a local to point it out) should produce good numbers as well. Big blue groper are everywhere along the rocks, heavy tackle is essential.

That should get you started!

Jig

Hi Marcel,

Fingal bay is a top spot. I fished it about 3 days a week every week last summer. Big (1kg+) calamari are prolific along the rocky shoreline, they're not fussy like Sydney squid and will climb all over cheapo jigs. Also 7" pink Gulps! threaded onto a spike are deadly. Steady's in Nelson Bay sell em. I found best results by suspending the jig/spike under a pencil float about a foot above the kelp and letting the swell do the work. Watch for the down and gently reel in. Some days we'd bag out in under an hour. Along the southernmost shoreline there's a reliable blackie platform, but you'll have plenty of company so get out early. The spit should be producing good flatties & whiting now, and "kiddies corner" (ask a local to point it out) should produce good numbers as well. Big blue groper are everywhere along the rocks, heavy tackle is essential.

That should get you started!

Jig

Thanks mate, will give it a go, I cant wait.

cheers

Marcel.

Edited by twin1