Live Bait

mrt11n@hotmail.com

This is a great website with lots of people ready to help 3 cheers to all of you!!!!!

This does happen - on the weekend we had big chunks taken out of our fresh yellow tail (8 of them) by a single squid. I'd imagine he'd have a go at live ones too - same spot each time, just behind the head.

Sorry for hijacking the topic... but could this (e.g. big chunks biten from the flesh of the slimy or yellowtail) happen "outside" the tank? Was fishing live yakkas and slimies today; no kinfish but a lot of squids and even octopus - they were grabbing my livebait and even sinkers; and frequently when I picked up bait from the water to check they (yakkas or slimies) have wounds like you describe (chunks of flesh) taken, Thought its a taylor but perhaps it was squid?

Thanks

This does happen - on the weekend we had big chunks taken out of our fresh yellow tail (8 of them) by a single squid. I'd imagine he'd have a go at live ones too - same spot each time, just behind the head.

Edited by Kruzenvax

Sorry for hijacking the topic... but could this (e.g. big chubks biten from the flesh of the slimy or yellowtail) happen "outside" the tank? Was fishing live yakkas and slimies today; no kinfish but a lot of squids and even octopus - they were grabbing my livebait and even sinkers; and frequently when I picked up bait from the water they have wounds like you describe (chunks of flesh) taken, Thought its a taylor but perhaps it was squid?

Thanks

Yep... that definitely sounds like squid.

Hi Raiders,

Was just wondering if i was to catch yellowtail/slimies would it be okay to mix up with squid in my bait tank or should it be one or the other...

hi,i use to mix baitfish with squid in my livebait tank, [i figured the squid would be to disorientated to think of their stomaches]but what happened when i opened the lid to get another bait?....my biggest squid happily chomping away on a slimey!I guess it's ok,so long as youv'e got enough baitfish to go around....ps,i now use a removable divider made of flyscreen when keeping both.

Edited by hooked4life

Also whilst we are talking about bait

I went out and we got Arrows and southerns, one of the arrows decided he would make a exit down my

bait tank over flow tube. :074: he was a jelly bean but when squid are hard to come by you need all you can get.

easy fixed for me i now have a piece of flyscreen on the over flow.

Just a tip