What Retrieve For Sp For Kings?

damobows

Have been wondering what is the most succesful/productive retrieve for SP's when targeting king's?

Been using 7" Gulp Jerks and slickrigs would appreciate some advice on depths and retrieves from the guru's! I realise variety is probly the key but just wondering.

Had a great by catch (if you can call it one) the other day using 7" Gulp and a bouncing style flathead retreive a metre off the bottom up came a 78cm lizard :yahoo:

Cheers & thanks

Damo

Edited by damobows

I can't call myself a kingfish guru (in fact this is my 1st ever kingfish season) but I managed to catch them on SP's from time to time. I use 6" sluggo. All have been caught near the surface (SP was not deeper than 3-4 meters). Retrieve works as following:

- cast away from the boat

- let it sink for a couple of seconds

- keep your road tip down close to the water and do 1-3 rather sharp strokes towards yourself/the boat

- make a 1-3 sec pause so it sinks a bit

- repeat

I vary the speed and sharpness of the strokes and the pause between them.

HTH

Alex

Have been wondering what is the most succesful/productive retrieve for SP's when targeting king's?

Been using 7" Gulp Jerks and slickrigs would appreciate some advice on depths and retrieves from the guru's! I realise variety is probly the key but just wondering.

Had a great by catch (if you can call it one) the other day using 7" Gulp and a bouncing style flathead retreive a metre off the bottom up came a 78cm lizard :yahoo:

Cheers & thanks

Damo

Cheers & thanks

Damo

Just what has worked for me.

If they're on the surface (which they haven't been, lately), best bet is an unweighted Slug-go on a worm hook ripped back as quickly as you can, with the odd pause and rod tip flick. You cannot wind fast enough to outrun a king.

If they're feeding at midwater and below, use a weighted Slug-go, cast out and let sink to the bottom, then rip it back as quickly as you can. Halfway through, let the lure sink to the bottom again and rip back until it is boatside. Then let sink again and try a vertical metal jigging type retrieve. With Gulps, I have had more success fishing slower than Slug-gos with lots of flicks, working the lure just below mid-water.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...