Stessel Tri Hull- Anyone Know If They Are A Good Boat

pelican

Has anyone owned or been in a Stessel (stessl) tri hull about 5.5m as a friend is looking at one and I can't offer any advice?. Boat is a very late eighties boat with a 75hp from memory.

The theory looks good with the side sponsons so stability at rest shouldbe cat like but am unsure how they ride in various conditions. They seem quite expensive for a tinny of that lenght but look strong by design but possibly a little heavy with all that ally. The 2 I have seen on the net both have had permatrin style tabs so I am wondering if they had handeling issues to require one?

Was there any failure points in the hull or things I can tell him to look out for.

the trailers are a little different as well but look like self alighning drive on jobs

I don't want my mate to waste his time or mine going fr a sea trial and getting the motor looked at etc so any help appreciated for my mate on this one.

Pel

Edited by pelican

I had a look at one some years back. Looked good but was just too big for my requirements. Stassl rereleasded the boat in the early 90's with a model brand Stinger.

The press gave it glowing reports. It failed to take off , mainly due to supply problems

Suggest you have a surf around Google , "Stessl Tri Hull , Stessl boats"etc. You may find information that will be of assistance

Also , http://www.marinews.com/details.php?recordid=134

Geoff

Thanks Geoff I didn't find that article when I did a search.

Someone here must have been in or owned one as there seems to be a few around or maybe I just notice them because of the different hull shape. Bet if I'm out on the weekend I don't see one so I can't talk to a current owner. Be a bit exposed and wet if the forecast is right

My old neighbour owned a 5.8m one with an 85hp Suzuki we went out in it every couple of weekends, it was an excellent boat and very stable. I thought it was a little underpowered and a 115 would have been nice but it still went ok.

Plenty of fishing room and had live tank etc with reasonable room up front. Id have one on my shortlist if i was looking for a boat of that type.

Thanks McGenius. Have read some mixed reports now and they seem to have changed the hull shape at different times on the smaller craft. No one says they were badly built but have read notes that they are both good and bad in a following sea and a bit of getting used to as they turn slowish and flat like a cat. Hopefully someone in QLD where there is a lot more of them will know more and I'll try and find out the dates of shape changes and if they were better or worse or just marketing Hype.

Thanks

Pel

I've ridden in one on many occasions. It had a Yam 115 which suited it well, i reckon it probably did around 35-37 knots or so flat out.

On smooth water the boat was a pain in the bum, very hard to trim correctly so as not to constantly porpoise and bang you around. Personally i think that all that needed to be done was move some of the weight around but the pospoising didnt bother the owner enough to do so.

Out in the rough the boat was excellent, VERY stable craft, you could power into swells at any angle, it took a following swell very well (although the owner preferred us to hold tight and he would jump sets of swells at a time, prop out of the water and motor revving frantically, lunatic boat driver is an understatement).

At rest 3 people could easily stand on one side of the boat without the boat leaning. I think you could put 5 on one side of that boat and it would be rock solid!