5 Kilo Flatty

paulg

nice fish mate, dont forget a lot of these old garls often contain more than 4 million eggs at any one time, not to mention they taste like an overcooked rump at a cheap steak house!!!.... im not here to judge, just thought i would put it out there. Well done on the catch. :biggrin2:

nice fish mate, dont forget a lot of these old garls often contain more than 4 million eggs at any one time, not to mention they taste like an overcooked rump at a cheap steak house!!!.... im not here to judge, just thought i would put it out there. Well done on the catch. :biggrin2:

A lot of discussion seems to have taken place on that subject recently but I havent seen any about guys who take home big bream,snapper,kings etc.

I dont understand this whole "big flathead" send it back mentality when it doesnt apply to any other fish (barring game species).

Having said that though Kevlacat has nailed the one valid reason for giving them back to Neptune:- they do taste a lot better smaller. Once a flatty gets over about 70cm they seem to get very "dried out" and do taste overcooked.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

A lot of discussion seems to have taken place on that subject recently but I havent seen any about guys who take home big bream,snapper,kings etc.

I dont understand this whole "big flathead" send it back mentality when it doesnt apply to any other fish (barring game species).

Having said that though Kevlacat has nailed the one valid reason for giving them back to Neptune:- they do taste a lot better smaller. Once a flatty gets over about 70cm they seem to get very "dried out" and do taste overcooked.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

thats because all big snapper bream and kings arent female where as all large flathead are

oh and great fish mate i got 1 that went 81 cm also just last week and was wondering how much it weighed as it went back now i have a better idea, well done on the flattie :1fishing1:

For once QLD is ahead of the rest of Aust re: flathead. QLD Fisheries has indeed placed a minmum and maximum limit on duskies. From memory all fish over 70cm must be returned. As for big flatties tasting bad: simply not true, they're every bit as tender & delicious as smaller ones. I think this myth stems from improper handling (not bled,cleaned,iced immediately etc). Bring on emo flatties!

Edited by Jigholio

The fact that a big flathead is always a female(whether or not it's a myth) doesnt make a difference when it comes to other fish. Flathead arent a species that are endangered nor are they any further in decline than other estuary species. By keeping all big kings or jews etc you are not only running a fifty fifty risk of pulling a big breeding female out of the system but also a big agressive breeding male. And before you all fire up I know that one female costs the system more than one male does.

We all talk about big flathead as if they are a touchstone of some sort for responsible fishing techniques but that isnt reflected in our practice with other species. Plenty of fisho's practice C&R nowdays but they are far from the majority. Those of us that take fish for food do so to the detriment (however small that is) of the marine system and yet we only really debate the practice of taking flatties. When a big flatty is kept it is viewed as bad practice but when a trophy bream is landed the question isn't "if that was a female it should have gone back". Instead it is greated with back slapping and questions of how did it taste. Surely if we are to have a view on one it should translate to all.

My point in this and the previous post isn't to take any side on releasing or keeping but to query how the flathead has ended up with this mythological status when it reaches a certain size. Who deemed the ugly flathead worthy release and the beautiful bream worthy of the table.

Dave

the fact that fisheries in Queensland have placed a restriction on oversize fish must tell us something.........why have they not placed a max size limit on bream?...... That says enough for me!!!

Obviously this is a topic that has been spoken about before on FR and as a new member i wasnt aware, hopefully some of the new members can learn from this.

Edited by kevlacat

Great fish Mr Rosebay :thumbup:

The next person I see posting about breeding females and why dont you release it will be banned from the forums without warning.

No if's and no buts.

If its legal that's all I care about.

They are the rules of this Site and it will stay that way,now stick to the topic ,Mr Rosebays fine capture.

Regards Swordfisherman

but........ok ok, what happen to freedom of speech.......

Great catch mate maybe im jelous!!!!! well done. :1yikes:

Your Banned !!!!! anyone else want to try their luck ???? :adminpower:

Thanks guys,

We had live soldier crabs, live nippers, and pilchards out on different rods and she took the chicken fillet breast marinated in parmesan cheese. :bump0ee: ???

A lot of people looked at me and said "as if". I replied that is was all in the berley trail.

As it was brought in close to the boat, my passengers called it a "string ray", then a "shark", there was even talk about cutting the line, the minute i laid eyes on it, i yelled " GET THE NET !!!!"

HEART PUMPING STUFF !

Middle of the run in tide. The fight will be remembered for a while.

Cheers Mr RB.

Great fish Mr RB! :thumbup:

chicken fillet breast marinated in parmesan cheese. :1yikes::1yikes: Is there no end to the lengths we are prepared to go to catch the humble flattie? Next thing you know we'll be luring them in with Dinner Rolls and Asti Riccadonna!

Considering how popular cheese is with Murray Cod, that wasn't a bad idea, Mr RB ... well done!

Hodgey

• 4 weeks later...

nice flatty man..whether or not you keep is between you and fisheries...

davemmm... just for your info man i place just as much importance in releasing my big bream as i do my big flatties ever since we ate a 51 cm model bream and found out how old it was (circa 30 years)...

i get what you are saying though.... flathead have become everyones favourite fish to protect...

maybe the best protection would be too stop throwin all our fancy lures at them...hahaha

congratulations mr rb on a flathead of a lifetime

well done..

• 4 weeks later...