Fitted New Wheel Bearings

Geoff

Decided to replace the wheel bearings this week. After 4 years & numerous dunking's I thought it was time.

Once removed noticed some water ingress into the inner bearings (outers were like new). The water appeared to come between the stub axle & the seal.

Not sure how , as the seal is approx 5 mm wide once installed does not (should not move)

Cleaned up the axle & decided to apply a small amount of silicon then slide the new seal into place.

Not sure if using silicon was the smartest thing to do but thought I would post this to see if others had a similar experience & how it turned out.

Also decided to do the brakes which were in a lot worst state than I thought. Looked like I would be up for new disc's but fortunately my mechanic was able to save the day by skimming the rust off. 2 discs skimmed, $30.00 + new pads for $36.00. I thought $66.00 for the brakes all up was reasonable

Some before & after shots included

post-731-1200612639_thumb.jpg

post-731-1200612717_thumb.jpg

post-731-1200612772_thumb.jpg

Geoff

I would check that the brakes were actually working , it looks as if the pads have hardly touched the disc !

Ross

Ross The brakes were working , well sort of. The pic of the rusted disc was taken a short while back after the trailer had been standing for some time . After an outing there is normally shiney spots on the disc.

But it is an interesting point you raise. I discovered the brake caliper work on a floating system , ie it slides on SS tubes bolted to the axle frame. This is a basic design used on a lot of cars these days.

The difference they are not submersed into salt water on a regular basis.

Mine , even though was washed down after each outing , after 4 years , salt water & some may suggest a lack of maintance had all but frozen hence the lack of efectiveness.

Will be paying closer attention to this area in the future

Geoff

Mate you should think about doing at least a service once a year. putting silicon on axle - seal join no good. most seals turn on the axle! tight fit in hub! water gets in due to hot hubs dunked in water which suck water in when they are cooled suddenly.

Agree with your comment regarding service once a year & water being sucked in to hot hubs . On that point , planning to change my launching proceduers so not to dunk the axle when launching.

In respect to , most seals turn on the axle! tight fit in hub. Mine is the reverse , the tight fit is around the stub axle , ie the rubber seal remains stationary. The hub rotates on the outer edge of the double lipped seal against a SS housing.

Geoff

Using my Sons sign but I can help with this.

Any seal that spins on the axle is no good for a boat trailer as the axle rusts and it chews the seal out before you get home. You can get seals that spin within a stainless cup that you knock into the hub these dont rust and seal well against the axle.

When you put them into the water they seal against the flat preventing it sucking water in. Bearing Buddies are also a good idea pressurising the hub.

Given all that I would not wait 12 months even with all this. I would check more often and its ususlly the large bearing that fails so you need to take it apart each time

Sorry Guys

Fisherboys dad

PS need a good close off shore fishing point for the family out of Port Hacking