Port Macquarie - Any News?

bjneville

Afternoon all.

Heading up to Port on the weekend for a flattie hunt. Any reports on how the river's fishing at the moment.

Looks like we'll be targetting the Maria, Limeburners and the back channel behind Pelican Island.

Any reports greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Qwyjibo

The hastings has been producing a few small flatties and bream (allot of the bream are just under or just over legal) so not bigger enough for a feed but they are there although we have had a lot of rain over the last few week which has shut them down a bit but if you put a fair effort you should do alright (the 3" pumkin seed flick bait from gulp always seems to catch a couple when the fishin hard.

Best of luck

Dave

....... Any reports on how the river's fishing at the moment.

..............Looks like we'll be targetting the Maria, Limeburners and the back channel behind Pelican Island.

Any reports greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Qwyjibo

Hi Qwyjibo, I would say Port Macquarie estuary fishing would be a waste of time for a while yet and the weekend is far too early for the mud from all the rain they had up there to dissipate.

When I drove thru Port Macquarie about 10 days ago the water was like a vat of chocolate and it has been raining up there every other day since. Yet when I arrived at Forster the water was crystal clear and somehow Forster had blue skies after I experienced over a month of monsoon type seas with heavy winds and flooding rains in the rivers SE Qld and Ballina.

I spent 10 days in Forster in wind and light to heavy rain but not flood type and the lake and river are in excellent condition yet the area is fairly close to Port Macquarie.

Are you committed to go to Port Macquarie?. I would recommend Forster otherwise and flathead can handle some murk in the water reasonably well and believe me Forster is loaded with them at the moment. However I struck a low pressure system with wind then a trough with more of the same plus drizzling rain and pulled the plug early and returned home from Forster last night.

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks for the heads up fellas.

Kind of committed 'Gaffer. Staying with my uncle who has a house on the canals (lucky B#%@%#!). Weather's looking clear in the leadup to the weekend - maybe it'll clear up a little. Otherwise I'll be whistling dixie :whistling:

Whatever the case, I'm going to go really light and try to stealth the buggers this weekend :ph34r:

Might head down to Cathie and the Camden Haven to see if they're fareing any better.

I'll put a report in early next week and let you know how it turned out.

Regards,

Qwyjibo

GDay Fellas,

Im heading up to Forster Next Weekend (2nd Feb) for the week and would really appreciate it if you could share some intel on the hot spots and what gear works best... I plan on doing some SP shopping tomorrow and would love to know what to get before I spend wads of cash on irelevant gear... (which Im sure the missus would apprecaite)

I was also considering spending a day at Port Mac & gettting into some fishing - but doesnt sound vary promising... I'll look out for your report Qwyjibo

Many Thanks

BarCrusher

Last week (Tuesday maybe?) I saw a 10+lb flattie caught off the breakwall at the peak of the tide on a live poddy mullet despite the water conditions. The water was poo brown for the duration of the runout but the run in was clearing it considerably. Locals told me that there have been quite a few mulloway hunting around the mouth of the river.

I fished nothing but plastics for a zero, but admittedly i put in VERY little effort and wasnt able to fish the tide changes or anything like that.