Painting Gal

achjimmy

Hi All

does paint stay on top of Gal trailers and wheels?

Hi Jimmy,

My Dunbier trailer has powder coated white paint over gal on the wheels, the paint has lasted 3 years but has finally started to come loose.

Mind you due to the level 4 water restrictions on Central Coast I was not washing the boat/trailer down after each trip which I expect increased likely corrosion.

Paint over gal should provide more protection but will come off eventually. It depends on the paint and preparation, use a paint/primer specific to gal.

Some info on Galmet http://www.galmet.com.au/driver.asp?page=m...oduct+catalogue

Conventional enamels (such as Galmet Rustpaint) should not be used over zinc rich primers unless a

barrier coat such as Galmet Keytite Etch Primer is first applied over the zinc rich coating.

Steve

Edited by copafisher

JIM,

I doubt that painting over the galvanised steel would be of benefit, as most of the more rusted components of the trailer are tubular sections and the rust starts from inside, hence painting the inside would be impossible.

Saltwater stays inside the hollow sections as the manufacturers leave a hole for galvanising on the under side and it is virtually impossible to hose down and clean properly after use.

When i purchased my new trailer, i sealed these holes with sikaflex prior to dipping in saltwater.

If you are worried about asthetics , than just sand or brush back the rusted areas, clean and spray with

cold- gal.

Mr RB.

Hi All

does paint stay on top of Gal trailers and wheels? Does it offer more protection?

I am looking at new trailer wheels and most are Gal but some are Gal powder coated? Would that be better?

Edited by Mr Rosebay

Powdercoating on gal rims mostly cosmetic unless they use a zinc rich primer underneath .

A rim soaks up a lot of heat and if the painters end it though for the standard ten minutes its likely to overcure and chip easily as mine have, you can just touch it up with enamel but I don’t bother.