Full Hd Lcd Tvs

hottyscotty

i just got myself a sony lcd (just had to because it comes with a free ps3). i was wondering if i could configure it to get the best out of my dvd movies?

can't believe it wasn't too long ago we were amazed with dvd quality video and now it looks like watching pirated dvds. can't wait to get my ps3 to watch blu-ray movies.

Good luck with your DVD purchase, too many options for my head to contemplate. :wacko:

Boof,

Dont you worry about DVD's etc, just keep the brain working on "breath in, breath out" :074:

Let us know when you are hitting Sydney, We may hook up on the water.

My brain will be going"Schooner up, schooner down, schooner up, Schooner down" :yahoo:

Cheers,

Stumpy :biggrin2:

Boof,

Dont you worry about DVD's etc, just keep the brain working on "breath in, breath out" :074:

Let us know when you are hitting Sydney, We may hook up on the water.

My brain will be going"Schooner up, schooner down, schooner up, Schooner down" :yahoo:

Cheers,

Stumpy :biggrin2:

Why do you think I bought a DVD player in the first place. Its amazing what you can get now on instructional DVD's. :074:

g'day hottiescott.mate does your tv have "motionflow"?..if it does try turning it off during dvd playback.i have been told that it doesn't work well when playing dvd's...............oh,just read your second post,no worries!

Edited by hooked4life

• 2 weeks later...

Motionflow shouldn't affect DVD playback in any way...

It's simply the name given to the TVs with 100Hz technology by Sony.

is that right? TS,i know your in the business so maybe you can confirm or dispel what i've been told.I'm also looking to buy a hd lcd so when i asked a salesman at a well known retailer[not fair to mention which one but i think the salesmans name was norman and he said that he just got back from hervey bay] would i have to upgrade my dvd player to suit the new tv,he said yes but if i can't afford to do it when buying a new tv i can get around it by switching off "motionflow"..effectivley changing it from 100Hz to 50-60Hz,making it more compatable with standard dvd playback.[i remembered this when i read hottyscotties post].this salesman seemed very confident with what he was saying and said it worked for him at home.TS,was he right or was he full of s**t? :thumbdown: ....are there any raiders out there who have "motionflow"but haven't yet upscaled their dvd who can confirm what this guy has told me?...is it possible there's a tv salesman out there who doesn't know what he's talking about???...cheers,colin.

Edited by hooked4life

motionflow is just a way to making fast pictures smoother by substituting frames. has nothing to do with your dvd player.

if your old dvd player has upscaling then its fine. i had to buy a new player with upscaling. i was so eager i didn't want to wait for my ps3 to arrive.

Hooked4life mate, sorry I didn't get back to you before now...

What the salesman told you is more or less correct, but at the same time there is very little point having the latest technology if you aren't going to use it to it's full potential in my opinion...

Motionflow (100hz) basically 'fills in the blanks' for want of a better expression, with images that are panning quickly across the screen the TV 'interprets' what is in-between the pixels and blends them to give a smoother picture.

If your DVD player is only outputting 760p and you're trying to display 1080p there will be a more pronounced stagger in the picture as the engine has to work a lot harder and 'interpret' more information which isn't there.

Moral of the story, get a DVD player with upscaling OR a Blu-Ray player :P

I've sent you a PM.

Cheers

Tony

:beersmile:

hmmm...looks like i'm up for a new player as well,but i won't be getting them from "norm"!... thanks guys. :biggrin2:

Blu ray is not yet finished developing and unless you spend up huge on the latest pioneer. You will be paying money for a player that even if Bluray survives will not be able to play all features in a year or two. Most future proofed BD (blu ray) player at present seems to be the PS3. But it has no HD analog audio outs, and does not do the DTS audio codecs.

The Sony up scaling player (can’t remember number but is approx $200-230) was a solid unit with reasonable reviews.

I will send you a pm re another option FYI.