Permatrim

paulg

Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are with fitting a permatrim to an outboard ?

I have a 15ft alloy runabout, with a 50 HP 2 stroke and find that with the motor fUllY trimmed in, i can not get it on the plane with 4 people in it. (correction, i can get it on the plane if all 4 stand near the front swivel seats).

The cavitation plate is level with the underside of the boat and 50 Hp is the largest i can legally put on the boat.

Will permatrim help ??? or changing the prop. ???

What are other advantages or disadvantages with fitting the permatrim ?

thanks mr rb.

Edited by Mr Rosebay

Before considering a fin confirm your boat is set up correctly and the motor is reaching correct WOT.

Many people fit them to solve issue they simply don't have.

Do a search on permatrim , trim tabs and you'll find a lot of details about set up and also props.

If you tell everyone your model of boat and setout it may help as someone may have the similar setup and that information will be gold

Pel

Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are with fitting a permatrim to an outboard ?

I have a 15ft alloy runabout, with a 50 HP 2 stroke and find that with the motor fUllY trimmed in, i can not get it on the plane with 4 people in it. (correction, i can get it on the plane if all 4 stand near the front swivel seats).

The cavitation plate is level with the underside of the boat and 50 Hp is the largest i can legally put on the boat.

Will permatrim help ??? or changing the prop. ???

What are other advantages or disadvantages with fitting the permatrim ?

thanks mr rb.

as pelican said check your outboard is reaching the correct rpm at wide open throttle ,i used to struggle to get on the plane when i had a heavy load i went with the option of a four blade stainless prop and that that gave the boat more get up and go out of the hole

arman

Hi Mr RB, as the guys have said, make sure your engine is porpped to reach 5500 with a load load. If so and it is still struggling than the permatrims work well on boats with miniumum power (which I belive a 15 foot glass boat is with only a 50HP).

The prematrim will lift the stern up and helps with planning and keeps the boat on the plane at a lower RPM.

PM me if you would like the "Raider" price on one,

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi all,

The boat is a 2005 model Aluminium Seaman Brooker Runabout with 50HP DT 50 Suzuki motor 1982 model.

See pict.

Huey, the boat is made of aluminium, but i still feel that it may be slightly under powered.

PM me a price please.

Mr RB.

Hi Mr RB, as the guys have said, make sure your engine is porpped to reach 5500 with a load load. If so and it is still struggling than the permatrims work well on boats with miniumum power (which I belive a 15 foot glass boat is with only a 50HP).

The prematrim will lift the stern up and helps with planning and keeps the boat on the plane at a lower RPM.

PM me if you would like the "Raider" price on one,

Cheers,

Huey.

post-3290-1201137269_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr Rosebay

Hi MRb i have a 4.2 stacer with 40hp tiller steer and found the nose would rise too high and for a long time with out a permatrim before dropping onto plane.

I fitted one and planes at slower speeds and the nose drops down almost straight away.Heaps better when out alone and steering is much more precise. Could be different having a forward steer compared to tiller steer.

Huey may know more about that.

Cheers

Gibbo

Thanks Gibbo,

I installed a permatrim wing a couple of days ago, and did it make a difference !.

Even though i only had two people on the boat, it got up onto the plane at really low speeds and i was cruising around at half throttle (instead of 3/4 throttle) all day long.

I also felt like the boat travelled more horizontal rather than going up and down over chop.

MR RB.

Hi MRb i have a 4.2 stacer with 40hp tiller steer and found the nose would rise too high and for a long time with out a permatrim before dropping onto plane.

I fitted one and planes at slower speeds and the nose drops down almost straight away.Heaps better when out alone and steering is much more precise. Could be different having a forward steer compared to tiller steer.

Huey may know more about that.

Cheers

Gibbo