Hawkesbury Jewfish.

Shark Bait

Did the hawkesbury fish better for Jewfish last summer. Last year around this time, I used to catch 6 or so jewfish per outing. This year I fish 2 turns of the tide, & more often than not, I go home empty handed.

Am I loosing the plot? Should I change tactics or forget about jewfish & chase something else for now?

Last January fished quite well after the late arrival of the warm currents which were lacking inshore since the spring of 2006 and over Christmas, when jewfishing apart from soapies was very ordinary on the Hawkesbury.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I thought that too last year, i think they have declined but i also believed that when i switched from Mono to Braid i got less fish too?

They are there but i believe not in numbers like they used to. Too many people fishing for them now.

Kamil

I thought that too last year, i think they have declined but i also believed that when i switched from Mono to Braid i got less fish too?

They are there but i believe not in numbers like they used to. Too many people fishing for them now.

Kamil

You noticed the braid thing too. I fish braid & mono at the same time. The mono catches me more jewfish. Don't know why, must be the stretch in the mono.

G'day Sharkbait

As far as my records show this summer has been better for me than last summer. I think the "season" has started at least two months late. Fish only started to fire towards the end of November.

There have been a lot of southerlies to contend with this season as well.

I agree with the braid theory especially for the schoolies and saopies. I can prove this because by big rods all have braid and the small rods have mono. Often the mono has taken the fish over the braid. Same leaders were used. I use the braid for visibility and durability.

Baits this year seem to be very important. Some days it is squid some days its yakka and others mullet , tailor etc.

I have caught some Jewies on "Kingie Rigs " this year whilst trying for kings and this leads me to wonder if the average Hawkesbury Jew is getting smarter.

There are a lot of people who target them now and the encounters with fishermen must be on the increase. I am beginning to believe that fish recognise fishing line and baited hooks as danger. Let me explain.

We were catching bait the other day and there were hundreds of yakka and a few slimies in the burley and they would not touch the jigs at all. ( A week before in the same spot you could get one or more fish on every down). So we changed to handlines and the same not interested at all. They were there for two hours and it was a very frustrating situation. This led me to think that if they are so smart at that early age and know know that a line and hook are danger then an old river Jew is going to be twice as smart.

There are hundreds of soapies and Trag about at the moment to the point when fishing for bait they are a nuisance.

I think this vear is a different season to what we normally get but the fish are there. I think they are smarter and you have to work harder for your fish.

Anyway just my observations and opinions

cheers

inhlanzi

Edited by inhlanzi

Thanks inhlanzi. I'll spend more time on the river, rain hail or shine, & vary my baits more. The past 12 months, I've only fished for jew with squid. I'll add yellowtail & tailor to that & see if it makes a difference.

I've let the bad weather put me off a bit this year after spending a couple of stormy nights on the water. I'm yet to catch any good fish in bad weather, & i've spent many a wet overcast weekend out on the water trying to catch a jew.

I guess I'll try harder to catch more baits & spend this summer moving around & changing things till I put it together again.

Thanks for your help,

Shark Bait.