Sydney East Fad

frangkie

cheers mate ! probably needs more time. pity it's not like past seasons where by now they would be a sure thing.

wonder if that bumper season two years ago and the popularity of fads on the east coast may be having a detrimental effect on the stocks of east coast dollies?

I'm just a little concearned cause they haven't been as thick as they used to be, around sydney anyway. Their very short life cycle could leave them possibly prone to overfishing?

On the other hand their very vast growth rates could negate this as long as there is enough stock left to spawn at the end of each season or start of each season?

If anyone knows any real facts about the east coast biomass or can set me striaght that would be of great interest.

cheers, not paranoid just interested!

Edited by frangkie

There is no way that the stocks are deminishing cause they are constantly breeding and grow at a phenominal rate so it is utter garbage to say stocks are being depleted. I have been fishing for dolphinfish since 1985 thats when I use to go out to the traps and no one was there to fish for them and even then you had seasons that were exceptional and others that were not so good, so nothing new is happening believe me and at this point of the season just early, normally I always started to get into the numbers late feb

Cheers

Agreed. My good fishing buddy from Miami, FL chased mahi's relentlessly for years. In Florida the default "fish & chips" from seafood shops is Mahi's. If they can withstand intense commercial & rec pressure from highly pressured waters then logic dictates Aussie stocks are not under threat.

Mahi Mahi,Dorado Maverikos, Dolphin fish, prolific grower lifespan only 3-4 years. May grow up to 5 foot weigh up to 20 - 25kg but these would be exceptional and old, fished worldwide now and use to be a by-catch, seasons vary but if you look worldwide they tend to follow each other in migratory patterns, but as they are prolific in numbers can be caught all year waters from 21-35 degrees, feed on crabs, squid,mackarel and zooplankton depth range up to 80m can swim speed up to 50knot

Edited by smokinjoe