Rigs For Live/dead Aits For Kingfish

Kruzenvax

Hi all,

I've done some search but still not sure which rigs should I use when trying to catch kingsidh (Botany Bay) using live yellowatils/squid or dead bait? E.g. running sinker all the way to the hook, paternoster, running sinker above the swiwel, etc.

Thanks

Hi Kruzenvax

Kingrig suggestion. Small running sinker to swivel then teaser with another swivel below then 500mm mono leader 60lb jinkai to snelled 8/0 mustard hoodlum hooks on skinned squid strip bait. Oh might as well thro a trebble off the bottom of the teaser as following kingish want to bite teasers head off for dragging their cousin around. Also good for double hook ups and a bit of extra sporty fun.

Down deep at anchor use yakka or on downrigger at anchor use live yakka with top tail fin trimmed to half size.

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks Jewgaffer,

Just to ensure I understand you correctly: teaser is one of those flashy things that look like big spinner blades? Also - as I understand it - this is a dead bait (squid strip) rig. Do I get this all the way to the bottom or should I let the teaser to hang off the bottom?

If I'm at anchor with live yakka or squid - should the rig be "downrigger like" - e.g. heavy sinker hanging off the bottom, leader with swivel with yakka squiiimg below the sinker?

Thanks

Hi Kruzenvax

Kingrig suggestion. Small running sinker to swivel then teaser with another swivel below then 500mm mono leader 60lb jinkai to snelled 8/0 mustard hoodlum hooks on skinned squid strip bait. Oh might as well thro a trebble off the bottom of the teaser as following kingish want to bite teasers head off for dragging their cousin around. Also good for double hook ups and a bit of extra sporty fun.

Down deep at anchor use yakka or on downrigger at anchor use live yakka with top tail fin trimmed to half size.

Hope this helps

Cheers

whats the idea behind trimming the tail-fin jewgaffer?

Hi Holmsie.

Trimming the top tail fin prevents the livie from swimming upwards and cutting the bottom fin prevents them from swimming downwards. When fishing normally on a running sinker livies will swim to the surface or bury in the sand to hide from predators. You don't need to swim livies perfectly as is the aim with lures. They are easy prey if they struggle and emit distress signals. Jew like to put crippled livies out of their misery as well. Also they can swim back against the current and tangle with the cable when downrigging at anchor.

Hope this explains why I mentioned that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Kruzenvax . Good quality teasers attract strikes from fish so I reckon why not add trebles to them. Trollinga squid strip with teaser is a good way to fish for kingfish. Downriggers are used for fishing at varying depths to find what part of the water fish are holding.

Yes I think it's a good idea to hold a yakka off the bottom struggling on a heavy sinker. I drop a non casting Alvey straight down the back of the boat and often raise it a metre or so when fishing for jew

Cheers

JG

Edited by jewgaffer

Thanks, but your post seems to be cut...

I'll try trolling like you've said - as soon as my downrigger arrives. Till then I have to fish at anchor, hence all these questions.

Hi Kruzenvax teaser is as you say a flashy thing. Good quality teasers attract strikes from fish so I reckon it's a good idea to add trebles to them. Trolling the squid strip with teaser is a good way to fish for kingfish. Downriggers and the likes are the go for fishing at vartying depths to find where the fish are holding.

You can also use

Hi Holmsie.

Trimming the top tail fin prevents the livie from swimming upwards and cutting the bottom fin prevents them from swimming downwards. When fishing normally on a running sinker livies will swim to the surface or bury in the sand to hide from predators. You don't need to swim livies perfectly as is the aim with lures. They are easy prey if they struggle and emit distress signals. Jew like to put crippled livies out of their misery as well. Also they can swim back against the current and tangle with the cable when downrigging at anchor.

Hope this explains why I mentioned that.

certainly does explain it well, thank mate :)