Ballina Beach Bream

kingpig

A few days after the flood peaked on the Richmond River earlier this month my son and I fished Ballina South Beach. For people that know this area we fished about one 1kl South of Patches Beach, this is about 5kl from the River mouth.

We got to the beach early just after low tide and I had not trouble getting enough beach worms to for us both to fish in about 20 minutes. While I started to catch worms I asked my son to cast into a very good looking gutter that was getting a lot of sand stired by waves washing over a sand bar in front it. Within a few minutes he landed a nice bream and then before I finished worming he got a smaller one that was a throw back. We fished this gutter for about another 30 minutes landing another bream slightly larger that the first and a good whiting.

We moved further South along the beach to find another spot that just looked like fish and sure enough it was. The bream were on fire. Every cast connected with a fish and it turned out to be a red hot bite. We would cast our baits into an area that was being churned up by the swell and let them wash into a gutter at the back of a sand bar and every time SMASH.

In total we kept 12 bream and 3 whiting but returned a lot of the fish were not hooked deeply. One of the bream was the largest one I have caught for many years being 43cm and weighed in at the tackle shop at 1.344Kgs.

post-1591-1201512476_thumb.jpg

post-1591-1201512665_thumb.jpg

Edited by kingpig