Cleaning Old Aluminium

cupster

hi raiders,I have an old unpainted aluminium boat that i would like clean up.does anyone know the best product/method i can use to put back a little shine in the old girl? cheers,h4l :biggrin2:

You can try Autosol but it will take a long time to cover the whole boat.. I'd go to a trailer boat seller and ask how they detail tinnies OR ask if they can do it for you, if you can afford it.

Let us know how you go

hi raiders,I have an old unpainted aluminium boat that i would like clean up.does anyone know the best product/method i can use to put back a little shine in the old girl? cheers,h4l :biggrin2:

Hi.

It's called oxidisation of the metel. Leave it on. it's a protective coating...Also called Character.

Old and weathered. Like me at 66.

Macka17

The dullness on a old tinny is the oxidised layer of aluminium that is actually protecting it from corrosion. Light wash with a soft detergent to get contaminants off is the best thing but if you want it to be shiny I get advice from the boat sellers. I've heard of them useing light acid washes and spray silicon to get a consistant colour etc etc but in the end it is only a visual pretty thing for the lot and old aluminium is different to the modern stuff a little as well in it's original finish.

New boats are shiny as they are pressed from polished sheet.

Edit :: I must have still been typing while Macka posted!!!

Edited by pelican

Good decision... last year i repainted mine and i had it all back to bare metal. More than anything, it takes a bugger load of elbow grease. From memory, i used some liquid you dilute a bit, with a piece of steel wool, and a wire brush. Doesnt take long for the shine to dissapear on the bare parts!!

People, there is a product called "Blitz". It is a form of phosphoric acid and is designed for cleaning aluminium and stainless steel. It is a pink liquid about the consistency of detergent and available from selected Bu++++ings stores - 4ltr bottle about $30. Simply spray on and leave for about 20mins, then hose off. I have cleaned and painted 4 tinnys over the last 5 yrs and have used this for the last 2. Excellent product. I have about 2 ltrs you can have free if you want it to try out to see if it's good for you but you'd have to pick it up from Putney/Ryde area.

PM me or give me a buzz on 0402 110 666 and I can describe the processes to you.

Cheers, Russ