Trailer Lights

Big-Pete

I think this has been done before but my trailer lights are on the fritz and I am going to replace them, I went and bought some with the bayonet type glodes as I am not sure about the festoon type.

Has anyone bought the LED ones from the US and if so are you happy with them.

Yes I am going to rewire the trailer as I think part of the problem is the old wiring

Thanks in advance

Big Pete :1fishing1:

Edited by Big-Pete

Pete

No matter what boat I've had I always use those light boards you can buy for about 60 to 70 dollars

You just strap them on the back and remove them when launching and forget all about the lights on your trailer

Cheers mate

Boppa

Guest Jocool

Pete...those lights have been on trucks for ages. From all reports they are great...BUT PRICEY!!! Do you really want to leave them unattended at a boat ramp for the entire day where any low-life scum can help himself to them?

Unless of course they are removable!

Incidently...there are some that are marketed as MARINE grade....thats all Cods wallop! They are all the same. They need to be waterproof to pass Aus Standards anyway! :thumbup:

I agree with Boppa, when the lights where on the trailer had nothing but problems with them. Made my own board for a silly amount of dollars really took a minute to remove from trailer not a problem for 12 years till I sold the boat.

New trailer has different set up with waterproof lights, will leave on till they stuff up, new board already made up to take their place again minimal dollars and nothing beats it!!

Cheers Joe

Thanks Guys,

the trailer originally came with a light board but it was a pain in the bum so I put the lights onto the guards and they are dieing so I am replacing them. Cabales has LEDs for around $50.oo but I am not sure if they have the yellow indicators in them.

I had the lights mounted on the guards as I said and I think this may actually illegal, so I may have to go back to a light board bummer.

Just a thought what are the submersable lights like? ok or crap?

Big Pete

In my opinion Pete

Submersible are crap and don't last

If you have them you better remember to disconnect them from your car otherwise you blow the lights and possibly more

My opinion

Boppa

Thanks Boppa and platl,

thats all I need to know. Light board here I come a much simpler task than rewiring the trailer and you have all said safer as well.

I am spoilt I live in Sutherland Shire we dont have theft problems here, well not much anyhow, just dont sleep with your mouth open they will pinch your fillings.

Thanks for the imput now I have lots of things to think about, the light board sounds like to way to go but I wont rush into anything just yet. The light board would be the quickest and easiest way around the light thing so I will make one up anyhow and think about the other later. Maybe the LEDs will come down in price.

Iain if you get a chance please send me photos of your light board.

Big Pete

Having just had to sit in the gutter outside a garage fixing my submersible lights after having the trailer fail a rego check, I am fast coming around to the idea of a removeable light board myself. My submersible lights were held together with standard steel screws and small bolts that were totally rusted up, making what should have been a five minute job, take at least an hour. You could accept that submersibles are not entirely fool proof if it were possible to fix them quickly, but using non stainless components in them is a joke

Pedro when you buy the trailer cable for you new set up you can either buy 5 or 7 strand wire. I always get the seven for a small amount extra. Here is a diagram that you will understand and find usefull when doing the project.

post-477-1105412743_thumb.jpg

Guys...Bear in mind the legality of light boards. In the ADR's it stipulates that lights should be no higher than 900 mm I think! :unsure:

Guest bluecod

My lights and rego plate are mounted onto brackets which in turn slot into holders on the trailer, with the pull of a pin lights and plate are totally removeable.

Iain - I'm glad your next door neighbour has his face obscured by a beer, but has anyone else remarked how much he looks like that cartoon character out of "Mad" magazine? :1yikes:

Iain,

thanks for the photos,it would appear that this topic is one of greater interest than I imagined.

There are countless ways of mounting the lights so I have a fair bit of info to go with thanks agian all those who replied to my post

PS how did the wife like the new camera :wife: