Help Needed Fishing Swains Reef

miskie

G'day Fishraiders

This is my first post.

I would like some information please?

I have planned a fishing expedition to Swains Reef with some enthusiastic fisherman friends, and the problem is what fishing gear should we be taking?

The intended method of fishing is, casting egg beaters from the dory boats for pelagic fishes, and fishing the mother boat by trawling and bottom bashing.

As none of us intended fisherman have had no experience at Swains Reef we would like to purchase an over head reel and egg beater each?

If any one has had any experience fishing in these conditions your replies would be appreciative

Your feedback on the type of reels and tackle would be appreciative?

cheers Miskie

Dont go there with anything but the best my friend as you will come home dissapointed.

High end tackle and terminals is mandatory for these spots and you will still lose some fish :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Friend.

When are you going?

I am doing a trip to Swains early April and am very excited re: prospects of some dynamite fishing.

I am taking Shimano, Abu and Penn outfits. TLD 25, Shimano Baitrunner 6500, Abu 7000 and Penn 8500. Outfits loaded with 80, 50, 40 and 30lb braid. I have not fished the Swains before but have done a lot of reef fishing and find the above can pretty well handle anything you would want to take home.

You could give the tackle shop that is situated next to the warf at Gladstone a call. He is a nice bloke and may be able to help. PH (07) 4972 7283.

Good luck brother :thumbup:

G'day Miskie,

If you need help I'm happy to come with you if you pay all expenses for me, my masseuse, my hand-maiden and my valet. I promise I will hold onto your fishing rods, make all the casts you want, land any fish hooked and taste test any beer served.

It all sounds like a lot of hard work for you and since you asked so nicely for assistance it's the least I can do.

If you decide not to take up my generous offer, have a fantastic trip (and listen to the boys talking about highest quality gear... you'd hate the trip of a lifetime to be spoiled by gear failures)

Cheers, Slinky

you don't need to buy super expensive gear as mentioned above.

you'l need one 7ft 15kg+ spin rod loaded with 50lb braid for heavy spinning\popping or bottom bashing and an overhead loaded to the brim with 15kg mono for trolling for macs etc.

You could also take a 6-10kg spin outfit for casting small metal slugs at macks and tuna and casting plastics for smaller reef fish.

if you are on a budget a 200lb handline will catch you just as many bottom reef fish as anything and costs bugger all.

have a great trip!! and remember to take some single strand wire too

Hey Miskie.

Just wanted to add some further info regarding your questions.

Check with the Vessel that is taking you out. I have been bugging the crew of the vessel I am going to the Swains with and they have been great. They have assisted with all enquiries.

Cheers and good luck

That's very sensible advice Frangkie. It's good common sense to start off with gear good enough for general use and at a sensible price. You can't beat the good old 200lb handline, good hands and a pair of gloves for any deep sea bottom bashing and it saves a lot of strain on middle of the range overheads and paricularly on good spinning reels in deep water.

Cheers Alex.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

200lb handlines are a bit over the top

We used to use 55lb and sometimes 80lb handlines The best line we used was schneider because of the abrasion resistence

Rods and reels

A good 4-6kg spinning outfit 14lb fireline or similar

A 10-15kg spinning outfit 50lb fireline or similar and a 24kg trolling outfit 24kg mono

Medium range gear will be fine

Hey Friend.

When are you going?

I am doing a trip to Swains early April and am very excited re: prospects of some dynamite fishing.

I am taking Shimano, Abu and Penn outfits. TLD 25, Shimano Baitrunner 6500, Abu 7000 and Penn 8500. Outfits loaded with 80, 50, 40 and 30lb braid. I have not fished the Swains before but have done a lot of reef fishing and find the above can pretty well handle anything you would want to take home.

You could give the tackle shop that is situated next to the warf at Gladstone a call. He is a nice bloke and may be able to help. PH (07) 4972 7283.

Good luck brother :thumbup:

i will be going in August boarding the Bewllcay for approximately 9 days thanks for the help with the tackle cheers Miskie

G'day Miskie,

If you need help I'm happy to come with you if you pay all expenses for me, my masseuse, my hand-maiden and my valet. I promise I will hold onto your fishing rods, make all the casts you want, land any fish hooked and taste test any beer served.

It all sounds like a lot of hard work for you and since you asked so nicely for assistance it's the least I can do.

If you decide not to take up my generous offer, have a fantastic trip (and listen to the boys talking about highest quality gear... you'd hate the trip of a lifetime to be spoiled by gear failures)

Cheers, Slinky

cheers slinky

you don't need to buy super expensive gear as mentioned above.

you'l need one 7ft 15kg+ spin rod loaded with 50lb braid for heavy spinning\popping or bottom bashing and an overhead loaded to the brim with 15kg mono for trolling for macs etc.

You could also take a 6-10kg spin outfit for casting small metal slugs at macks and tuna and casting plastics for smaller reef fish.

if you are on a budget a 200lb handline will catch you just as many bottom reef fish as anything and costs bugger all.

have a great trip!! and remember to take some single strand wire too

thanks for the tips cheers Miskie

Hey Miskie.

Just wanted to add some further info regarding your questions.

Check with the Vessel that is taking you out. I have been bugging the crew of the vessel I am going to the Swains with and they have been great. They have assisted with all enquiries.

Cheers and good luck

spoken to the co-ordinator and he suggested no braid on the mother ship as it tangles easily with other lines?

maybe ill use mono on the overhead for the bottom bashing anf braid on the egg beater?

200lb handlines are a bit over the top

We used to use 55lb and sometimes 80lb handlines The best line we used was schneider because of the abrasion resistence

Rods and reels

A good 4-6kg spinning outfit 14lb fireline or similar

A 10-15kg spinning outfit 50lb fireline or similar and a 24kg trolling outfit 24kg mono

Medium range gear will be fine

what brand is your medium spinning gear?

G'day Fishraiders

This is my first post.

I would like some information please?

I have planned a fishing expedition to Swains Reef with some enthusiastic fisherman friends, and the problem is what fishing gear should we be taking?

The intended method of fishing is, casting egg beaters from the dory boats for pelagic fishes, and fishing the mother boat by trawling and bottom bashing.

As none of us intended fisherman have had no experience at Swains Reef we would like to purchase an over head reel and egg beater each?

If any one has had any experience fishing in these conditions your replies would be appreciative

Your feedback on the type of reels and tackle would be appreciative?

cheers Miskie

Hi Miskie

I'm with stewy and the others that are indicating to go with the best.

The one thing that will help you make a decision on quality and price is how much you are looking forward to this trip and what your expectations are.

This trip could be a once in a lifetime trip.

So it's my opinion you should try and find that extra $$$ and purchase the better quality gear.

This should help reduce the chance's of your trip being ruined for the sake of a few bucks and cheaper quality gear.

And if you decide to do more of this style of fishing then you will alway have the best gear for the job.

Just one more quick thing, remember that if you purchase right the first time. This will save you buying it again. So maybe you should also go and speak to tony or pete, both are site sponser and would be more than happy to help you.

So now with that out of the way i hope you have a good trip and hope to see some good reports here on fishraiders.

cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

• 9 years later...

I have been lucky enough to go up North every year for over 20 years. I bottom bash off the main boat. I take a large Penn egg beater with 50lb braid. A large Alvey spooled with 80lb mono. A large overhead spooled with 50lb mono for Spaniards. A smaller egg beater with 40lb braid. A spool of Scheinder 50lb for leaders, Gang hooks, 80lb steel leader, balloons, 6/0, 8/0 hooks, good quality swivels, squid jigs and a pair large long neck pliers. If you are gong with mates you can cut back on some of the gear and share your gear for Spaniards. The rods I take vary from 10kgs to 25kgs.

And not to forget a must have, a couple bottles of port.

Enjoy your experience. I hope you get a gun skipper and deckies. They are the blokes that can make or break your trip.