Broken Carbon Fibre Rod - Any Ideas?

Guest johblow

Guest johblow

Well, i broke my nice carbon firbre rod on saturday... very sad, its so nice to use and so well matched to the reel i had on it...

I really want to fix it, and am sure it can be fixed given that it broke immediately south of one of the runners, at reasonably thick place in the rod.

It was my fault i think... i was pulling some line off it very carelessly. Ive learned my lesson. Its a bad habbit ive always done with fibre glass rods...

Anyhow, there is a picture attached. The break is pretty much straight across the cross section of the rod, but there are two cracks running down the axis of the rod on the larger diameter bit, on the reverse side to the runners. They are both about 10mm long.

I am thinking that a small insert plus flexible glue will get it close to normal in terms of flexibility above and below the insert, and given that the insert will be near the runner, i shouldnt see to much of an overall loss of flexibility.

The things i am not sure of are:

1) type of glue (would use epoxy if i didnt know any better)

2) length of insert (beyond cracking)

3) type of insert

Any help will be much appreciated... thanks!!

post-46-1105321594_thumb.jpg

you wil need to strip off that guide firstly.

Then this is how I would try it:

Find a piece of old fibreglass from an old rod perhaps that fits both ends snuggly, glue in place with 24hr araldite, then once cured, re bind the whole joint, as well as the guide back on. Then a few coats of epoxy.

Guest johblow

Thanks guys. Getting a new rod the same is out of the question unfortunately, as this bugger is only 9 months old. Which makes it all the more annoying...

It didnt occur to me to take the guide off Bashir, but i can see merit in that suggestion.

Ive made rods before, but my confidence level with fixing this is not that great. I sort of betting that a repair job will be at leaast 50% of the cost of a new rod... That is, i can really bother spending more than $60 having it repaired... before i look at a new glass rod... iw ould love to hear from Alan if he has time to comment.

Thanks guys. Getting a new rod the same is out of the question unfortunately, as this bugger is only 9 months old. Which makes it all the more annoying...

It didnt occur to me to take the guide off Bashir, but i can see merit in that suggestion.

Ive made rods before, but my confidence level with fixing this is not that great. I sort of betting that a repair job will be at leaast 50% of the cost of a new rod... That is, i can really bother spending more than $60 having it repaired... before i look at a new glass rod... iw ould love to hear from Alan if he has time to comment.

26493[/snapback]

It can be spigotted but will play havoc with the action.ANY repair to a blank esp graphite alters it considerably and no matter what you do or where the break is spigotting produces flat spots. Also its a bugger of a job as it requires careful spiggot sizing selection and sanding to fit perfectly snug to maintain straightness and rigidity.

Any play in making the spiggot will result in a dog legged blank that parts first fish.

stripping the guide off will be the least of your worries with this job infact it may be beneficial at least you can use it to hide the god awfull break.

another alternative is to turn it into a 2 pce with a graphite-to-glass over sleave ferrule ( glass female ferule) they are a bit easier to make but If you ask me Id simply right it off as a lesson on how to not handle graphite :05:

I can do all this work but I will never guarantee it as there is to much room for variance

Edited by allen glover

Guest johblow

Thanks very much for your input Alan. Ill give it a go myself i think. May as well extend the learning experience to include rod repairs!! And thats a good point about the runner - i can hide the ugliness. The other thing is that its already a two piece (i bought it overseas so for convenience, two piece was better). So now its a three piece!! Will keep you all posted on progress for the hell of it...

O well!!! S--t does happen!