Cobia In Botany

Little Hooker

During my visit to the lcoal tackle store friday morning and was having a chatt to the owner asking him what he has been catching and he showed me a pic of a cobia from the bay :yahoo: it was about 60cm or so and pic was taken at night. Didnt ask any more cause i was so excited that you can catch that fish in our waters these days!!

Jus thought i share that with yous :biggrin2:

The occasional Cobia does find itself "lost" in bays and esturay systems. Every now and then you hear a report of the odd one caught somewhere in Brisbane Water as well. I've heard of a couple over the years from Woy Woy Bridge, Paddy's Channel and Davistown, but as I say I think they're lost.

Anything can show up in some surprising places sometimes, for example a couple of years back a baby Great White was found still alive on the mud flats opposite Point Frederick and Green Point. That's a long way from open ocean and it did die. It was well documented in local papers and had the Marine Biologists in a very excited state.

I can clearly recall a time when I was a kid in Woy Woy and a pair of large Samson Fish took up residence in the water between the saltwater baths and the old Taylor's Boatshed mooring wharf (which is now Fishermans wharf seafood shop). They were there for a couple of days and local kids in town tried to catch them on a cork hand line and peeled prawn which the fish completely ignored.

It's always good to hear of good fish in enclosed waters as it's a sign of healthy clean water.

Cobia make an appearance almost every year in the Harbour and Middle Harbour.

I caught a small one a year or so ago and saw a very big one not too long ago (over 1m)

When there is lots of kingfish i reckon that there is always the odd cobia mixed in as well.

It was only a few years ago that a very nice cobia was taken at Sugarloaf. It was posted on FR.

Cheers

Cobia make an appearance almost every year in the Harbour and Middle Harbour.

I caught a small one a year or so ago and saw a very big one not too long ago (over 1m)

When there is lots of kingfish i reckon that there is always the odd cobia mixed in as well.

It was only a few years ago that a very nice cobia was taken at Sugarloaf. It was posted on FR.

Cheers

Thanks zenman, it seems they are more common around Sydney than I thought!

Caught a 18.5 kg Cobia at Molineaux Point back in March of 2006. After trying for years up north and not landing one it was great and a big suprise to get one that big in my own backyard. Had heard a few of 10 to 12 kgs being caught by others in the harbour but never any in Botany bay. He would not be the only one out there just keep tryin

Cheers Silvo-Bentstik

Edited by Bentstik