Tow Vehicles ?

gibodfisho

Hi Raiders! I am in the market for a new tow vehicle and with my new family, beautiful baby girl Kirra just arrived, I am leaning towards the three models above. They are all more than capable of towing my current rig which probably weighs less than 1100kg. But being fisherman we all know we like to explore, do the odd bit of beach driving and launch our boats at less than ideal locations. To be honest after doing research I am leaning towards the Ford, mainly because of its torque and car like handling "dynamics". I launch and retrieve 95% of the time at good ramps in Sydney, and the other 4.5% at bream tournament venues up and down the coast which also have good ramps. My dilema is the other .5% which involes holidays. Which if any could handle beach driving without concern or perhaps tow a boat out to Fraser Island for an example??? Thanks in advance Dave

Gibofisho

Have a good look at the Kluger it has a back door made for fishermen with boats. It opens up instead of sideways. When you reverse down the ramp or parking it you can see everything!!

It will pull 1100 no worries

Which model are you looking at?

Cheers

inhlanzi

I agree with Flightmanager - if you are considering ANY off-road work a soft-roader like the Kluger will not do the job. You must have a transfer case with the ability to engage low range, especially for sand. Have travelled Fraser many times and even with low range it is easy to get stuck if you don't have your wits about you.

I run a Pajero and find that it is a good balance between fuel usage vs grunt. My boat runs out at about 700kg but when it's full of camping gear it's probably more like 1200kg. I have had to use low range when retrieving at Palm Beach ( Sandy Point ) ramp at low tide more often than not.

Check out the Pajero's - pretty good value for money and drive more like a car than a truck.

Cheers

Russ

G'Day,

I bought a Territory Ghia 05 RWD model demonsrator.

It was six months old with 4k on the clock still owned by Titan Ford at Brookie.

My company bought it and i got it for 45k. Mate this thing got the lot in terms of luxuary.

Leather, metallic paint all running boards, racks, DVD player, tint, 6 airbags blah blah blah.

Traction control is excellent saving my butt twice from losing total control.

I have since done 30k with not one problem.

I tow a 3.75m tinnie and dont even feel its there. I took it to the snow last year no problems.

Mine is a 5 seater and there is heaps of room in the car and tonnes of storage space.

When boat is off the trailer i pop the rear glass door only so that i can see the trailer when reversing.

Mine has the beeping sensor which is OK as i have grown up kids but i recommend you get the camera for peace of mind and reversing with trailer.

On sand etc you will definately need AWD.

I have never been a fan of Fords but i love my Territory.

My advice is dont buy new and try and get a demonstrator and save money.

I am a huge fan of Toyotas having had heaps and my wife drives one ATM. Silky Smooth power, luxuary and reliability.

Dont like the Klugers. The look and name are average.

Cheers

Thanks for the replys guys. Iceman had a drive of the diesel Pathfinder strong torquey motor and good gearbox but not sure about diesel noise, may have to have a drive of petrol model and see how different they are. It has the bonus of low range 4wd the others don't. Taree was a real surprise and $5000 what a bonus. Inhalzi the Klueger is a nice car and seems to me to be the comfiest of the three, good for longer trips. I would look at base model Awd the KX I think.They are also feature packed. Flightmanager I was looking for that type of feedback. So low range is a must to be competent and confident on the sand, I was hoping grunt would get me out of trouble. Sammy the Klueger has a lot of grunt for such a free revving engine I am not surprised it tows your rig without drama. I just like pouring over spec sheets on most magor purchases until the best product for me jumps out at me, but this hasn't happened yet :wacko: . Just like there is no perfect boat, its all about compromise cheers Dave

The last model Kluger drives every bit like a car and IMO handles better than the territory, even better once the OEM Toyos are replaced with something else. The older Kluger is built on the Lexus RX330 floor pan with identical drive line so it is very smooth and quiet.

Yes they are ugly but great value with last model you could get the CV seven seat with alloys on the road brand new with all options (B/Bar, Net, Racks, T/Bar) drive away for $39k. All this with Toyota quality, which is brilliant on these. Don’t know if these are still on run out or all gone.

I would take FM and others advice re the sand driving. Kluger is not a full blown four-wheel drives. I think the pathfinder has Hi/Lo range?

Consumption is great, have recorded 10l/100km on trip. Usually 17-18 when towing.

Towbar goose neck is not long enough.

Vehicle rated to max 700kg w/o brakes and 1500kg max towing.

Don’t know about the new Kluger but it is certainly not ugly! New Kluger has the 3.5 liter out of Aurion which is like 190-200 KW!

Edited by achjimmy

I am in the same situation guys and want the best I can get for around 60 k.

I was leaning towards a Kluger but have since had a rethink and may go with the Pathfinder.

I drove diesel and petrol models in the Pathfinder and the petrol sure had the zip ove the diesel but the 400 nms of torgue the diesel has is swaying me a little for towing purposes.

I wish it was clear cut as I want the best of both worlds ,towing and a nice car to drive on the bitumen :tease:

Cheers Stewy

Diesel's are better for towing or beach driving as they have better low down torque, lower engine rev's mean less chance of spinning the wheel's and bogging in. also diesel's are more fuel efficient and cheaper to run.

the diesel rattle is nothing, you wont notice it after a while.

Diesel's are better for towing or beach driving as they have better low down torque, lower engine rev's mean less chance of spinning the wheel's and bogging in. also diesel's are more fuel efficient and cheaper to run.

the diesel rattle is nothing, you wont notice it after a while.

I like the diesels the torque is awsome specially as mentioned above, and am going to look hard at the Turbo diesel Prado and Pajero next time.

I have an older Pajero (95 model) with well over 360K on the clock. Good torquey engine (3.0l V6) , and it pulls my boat ( probably1.2t all up ) with no dramas at all . For example , climbing up the Dipper heading North on the F3 , I can maintain 100KPH in 4th gear. Another really neat thing is I can select AWD without getting out of the car , in fact up to 100KPH . If I need to lock the centre diff , I have to stop to engage Hi 4x4 or Low 4x4 , but have had no problems doing so . I would like slightly taller diffs for highway work , as at 100 KPH its turning at about 3000RPM. Where this lower gearing really comes into play is in steep or difficult terrain , even at walking pace in low range , the engine is at the beginning of its torque band.

Driving on sand is as much about technique as it is about power. Hard packed sand is no worry as a rule , but soft dry sand can be very challenging ( take a trip to the Stockton sandhills one weekend , and you will see what I mean.) The big cruisers and Patrols have enough grunt to bulldoze their way through it , but the smaller sixes really need the low range option. Have a look at the Pajeros , they are well made , not indestructable , but very solid nonetheless.

Wonder if I could shoehorn a 250HO Etec under the bonnet? Hmmmmm , horsepower !!

Ross

Hi all, this post has made for interesting reading as i have recently upgraded to a larger boat and am looking into the 4wd size vehicle category for towing it (poor old commodore is getting a bit tired). i was curious about the Land Rover Discovery TD5 diesel. From what i understand, this model was produced from 1999 to 2002 whilst BMW owned Land Rover. Has anyone owned one of this particular vintage and if so what did they think. As far as size goes, it is about a kluger size vehicle, which is about as large as i want to go too. My neighbour has a 2004 model kluger, nice car, built on the lexus platform with the lexus engine. however, seems more like a soft road than an off road vehicle for mine. just wondering whether it is worth looking at the Land Rovers as i know the early models were prone to problems!!! i originally looked at the pajeros but found they were very heavy on the juice. the landcruisers, whilst brilliant are awefully expersive, hondas were rubbish and the tritons,pathfinders are getting too big!

Cheers

Mick

Edited by bisso

been reading the replies and some very good and accurate comments have been posted... in my opinion.

I must however say you cant go past a Landcruiser. Grab yourself a 5 yr old one.. tray back or wagon and you wont look back. Cheap to service, parts available everywhere, can tow almost anything and wont let you down.

just my 2 cents....

At $60K, I wonder why no-one has mentioned the D-4-D powered Prado. A phenomenal motor that only chews 9L/100kms.

It was the vehicle I was looking at before I bought a slightly bigger boat and IMHO is a better vehicle than most that have been mentioned. I will have to stick with the Landcruiser for now.

Of those three options I would go the Nissan for the same reasons mentioned by the others. I can vouch for the soft sand problems Ross talks of. The best solution to this is an auto gearbox as you dont lose momentum during gear changes.

I can vouch for the diesels. I own a little VW golf Turbo Diesel. I go about 3 weeks before filling her up. It has a towing capacity of 1800kg, not that I would tow my boat with it. It's got heaps of torque.

Have you considered a Nissan X - Trail. It's towing capacity is 2500kg. the only drawback is it's petrol. If you wait a year or two, they'll bring it out in a diesel.

Cheers

Deek

Hi all, this post has made for interesting reading as i have recently upgraded to a larger boat and am looking into the 4wd size vehicle category for towing it (poor old commodore is getting a bit tired). i was curious about the Land Rover Discovery TD5 diesel. From what i understand, this model was produced from 1999 to 2002 whilst BMW owned Land Rover. Has anyone owned one of this particular vintage and if so what did they think. As far as size goes, it is about a kluger size vehicle, which is about as large as i want to go too. My neighbour has a 2004 model kluger, nice car, built on the lexus platform with the lexus engine. however, seems more like a soft road than an off road vehicle for mine. just wondering whether it is worth looking at the Land Rovers as i know the early models were prone to problems!!! i originally looked at the pajeros but found they were very heavy on the juice. the landcruisers, whilst brilliant are awefully expersive, hondas were rubbish and the tritons,pathfinders are getting too big!

Cheers

Mick

parts are dear for land drover's and also harder to find a mechanic or part's to repair one if you should break down out of the city.

Fellow Raiders, I just happen to work in the motor industry ( finance department) and work for a major dealer on the Northern Beaches. We sell the following brands:

Holden

Mitsubishi

Nissan

Hyundai

Kia

Suzuki

Renault

Honda

BMW

and Mini.

I also have very close contacts in Toyota so if any of you people are looking at any of these new I can and will get you a very very good price - ask Stewy.

Just get my number off Stewy or pm me and I will be happy to help.

Cheers,

Russ

At $60K, I wonder why no-one has mentioned the D-4-D powered Prado. A phenomenal motor that only chews 9L/100kms.

I like the massive fuel capacitiy of the prados something 180 litres! PLus you will get both base and GXL for under 60k.

I like the massive fuel capacitiy of the prados something 180 litres! PLus you will get both base and GXL for under 60k.

I guess I dismissed the Prado as being too cumbersome with it solid rear axle but Toyota has had a lot of time to refine it handling. It sure is the most credentialled mid size 4wd, and would make an excellent touring vehicle with a range of over 1000ks. May have to go for another Test drive?

After many test drives and looking at all options we finally went out and bought ourselves a 4x4 and a very nice vehicle indeed.

We decided on the Pajero exceed and hope to have many years of trouble free motoring.

The diesel model with 3.2 intercooled turbo was our choice as it had the better pick up in low gears.

post-256-1203758549_thumb.jpg

The car pictured is our car and will get it sometime this week :yahoo: Full optioned to the hilt.

post-256-1203758984_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy