Downriggers Rights

VA911

Much has been said about this. Lets set the record straight. Throw your ideas and lets thrash it out.

It is getting to the point that the second you start running tracks in an area 5 - 10 boats+ want to anchor straight over where you have been working. Whats the right eitquite and where do we stand?

Is this going to be a case like the boarders and the skiers??

let the discussions begin......

Good topic Vince. I'll start the ball rolling on crowding out before the comedy starts.

I reckon we should hire a couple of puppets to use a decoy boat set up with phony rocket launchers with cardboard downriggers spread out everywhere and get them to keep moving along playing metal garbage tin lids around all the wrong places with cameras flashes going off all over the place.

Just watch the travelling circus follow rods bending on garbage tin lids all the way to luna park and back all day long :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Downriggers rights? There isnt any I thought.

All I can say is I dont think that any one boat on the MOVE, has the right to any marker or

spots on the water. If u r downrigging a marker for example should that mean that

u have exlusive rights to downrig that marker for as long as u want, and all other boats

must leave u alone and go find their own spot, It would be nice if this was the case in

a perfect world, however we all know what sort of world we live in.

I think though that if a boat is 1st to a spot or marker and they are at ANCHOR, then by

all means u were there 1st, u should be able to enjoy ur spot without idiots trolling or downrigging too

close to u. Unfortunatly everyones idea of too close can vary considerably. At anchor

u r stationary in a fixed location, but while downrigging u r working an area that could

cover as much, if not MORE, than an area equal to half a dozen anchored possies. Is it

fair that one boat can hog so much water space?

penguin

Edited by penguin

in responce to that penguin is it fair that a wreck or reef is destroyed and also not shared due to a few anchored boats. and if the guys downrigging are in the area first and others decide to anchor right in their tracks.. whats the go then?the guys downrigging are called idiots or knobs? please.

Edited by VA911

I think unfortunately it comes down to common sense and curtosy. If I approach an area and a boat is anchored I have to steer clear of their lines and anchor ropes, although approaching close on the sides where no lines go I think is ok as long as it isn't dangerous. If I approach an area to anchor and there is a boat downrigging there, I wont anchor up in a spot that restricts his movement too much. For example, if he is downrigging a marker I wont anchor up too close to it to give some breathing space.

As the fishing spots get more and more crowded I think people need to get a bit more tolerant too, since the population of sydney is growing, but the amount of fishing spots stays the same.

If I had to formalise it I would say to give curtosy to whoever was there first, but everyone should allow everyone else a chance to fish in a good spot, and certainly no one has exclusive rights to a particular spot.

Usually, if there are a lot of boats around we just don't downrig, it's too hard. We just pull up and anchor.

I also think it is easy for people who don't fish with downriggers to get pissed at those who do because they haven't experienced life on the other side of the fence. I've heard people say we scare their fish away?!?!! If that was the case then downriggers wouldn't even work because we'd be constantly scaring our own fish away!

I agree with Huntman.... there are no "rights" on the water, there sould just be common courtesy and common sense.

Everyone has to share the water and we all have our own way we like to fish. Sometimes I anchor and sometimes I downrig and sometimes I drift. The 2 things that p$^**& me off really fast are people who decide to thoughtlessly obstruct other people's fishing who were clearly working a spot (no matter how they were doing it); and people who decide to get p*(&^*&( off at anyone who wants to fish in a way other than them.

Exactly the same issues exist with every form of fishing... common courtesy says you don't anchor in someones berley trail, you don't cross the stern of a boat trolling, you don't wade through part of a lake right in front of where someone is polaroiding, etc.

Courtesy should dictate who has right of way.

And when we're all sharing the water there's no point jumping up and down like an idiot. I've witnessed anchored boats abusing downriggers just because they were in the same area even though nowhere near anchor lines... and I've witnessed downriggers abuse boats anchoring even though they drop their pick 200m away because the downrigger felt they had the 'rights' to about an acre of water. Both reactions are stupid and selfish.

Both forms of fishing can happily coexist... they did last weekend out at Spot X where we were fishing... there were boats anchored, drifting and downrigging. The only thing I saw that made me a bit grumpy was a guy trolling through the middle of everyone... but even then it was a simple matter of adjusting my direction. No one got fouled up, no one got grumpy, boats came and went, anchored and downrigged around each other, all day with never a problem or raised voice... because everyone did it courteously and carefully. Every now and then someone anchored in an inconvenient spot... often I think because they didn't see someone downrigging or didn't recognise it as such... sometimes downriggers (me included) realised they were getting a bit close to some boats after making a turn, so they adjusted. Everyone shared the water with a smile and we all caught fish and you can tell from the posts that everyone had a great day out.

And remember that not everyone is as experienced as everyone else and mistakes get made... that's life... it happens... and it's no big deal. If I ever had someone foul my anchor rope with a bomb or vice versa, all I'd expect is a bit of cooperation to solve the problem and for whoever caused the foul up to sort out a new anchor if by any chance it cost one.

I don't know about you but I don't rant every time Little Slinky loses some gear or makes my fishing a little more complicated and it's exactly the same principle.

Personally I think a lot of the "heat" in this issue is because some people like to have something to get angry about but mostly I think sadly it's a symptom of one of my earlier posts... the lack these days of the ability of people to be courteous, tolerant, , thoughtful, friendly and not selfish.

There's no "i" in team but apparently there is in "downrigging" and also in "anchoring".

If ever I get in someones way let me say in advance I didn't mean to do it, I'm sorry but hey... I'm just fishing.

See you on the water with a smile, Slinky

in responce to that penguin is it fair that a wreck or reef is destroyed and also not shared due to a few anchored boats. and if the guys downrigging are in the area first and others decide to anchor right in their tracks.. whats the go then?the guys downrigging are called idiots or knobs? please.

Unfortunately this happens all to often and there is not much that can be done about it, as

previously mentioned, a large number of fishos out there have not fished with downriggers,

and don't know wat u are doing or where u are likely to drag your bomb and bait next.

They see u driving your boat away from a marker and think,"Mad , this guy is leaving," and

then they go and pull up right where u don't want them to, bcoz u wanna go back over that

spot.

I get asked at boat ramps and on the water what my downriggers are, and what they are

used for, most people just don't know.

Anyway good luck out there on the water.

penguin

Be aware that legally, a boat under power has to avoid anchored boats. So what rights does a downrigger have over anchored or drifting boats? Legally - none.

But as people have pointed out - common courtesy should rule.

When you arrive at a spot:

- Anchor away from people who are already anchored.

- Anchor away from people who are downrigging.

- Do not Anchor in the path of someone elses drift.

- Don't downrig close to anchored or drifting boats.

- Don't set your drift in the path of other boats (anchored, downrigging or drifting)

- Don't drift, downrig or anchor in the way of a shore based fisherman.

- Don't anchor in someone elses burley trail.

- Don't drift down then motor back up someone elses burley trail.

- If diving/spear fishing, use a friggin flag (yes - pet peave - very dangerous, and last thing I want to do is accidentally kill a diver)

And when people stuff up (and they will) - no need to unleash a torrent of abuse. Assume it was accidental - and be polite about it. If you need to - point it out to them nicely.

Personally - I've had several occasions being anchored with a dozen other boats and have a downrigger weave their way in and out of everyone - scaring fish, and chopping up lines. It ain't nice.

Mike

There is no right or wrong answer.....downrigging around boats can be done.....some anchored boats will get the sh.its.....Don't get tangled and watch the angle of the anchor ropes so you know how close you can run.

Common courtesy will normally be the best way to do it......If the anchor boats get the shi...ts even though your showing them courtesy a right hook in the head from Sal will normally stop that from happening again, or if you choose not to take the right hook approach pulling kings from under their boat will normally work as well....

Edited by netic

There is no right or wrong answer.....downrigging around boats can be done.....some anchored boats will get the sh.its.....Don't get tangled and watch the angle of the anchor ropes so you know how close you can run.

Common courtesy will normally be the best way to do it......If the anchor boats get the shi...ts even though your showing them courtesy a right hook in the head from Sal will normally stop that from happening again, or if you choose not to take the right hook approach pulling kings from under their boat will normally work as well....

Well said Netic.

Looks like this "KNOB" and others like him will have to get a Sal of his own as he tends to avert from right hooking people himself! :074::074::074:

Sorry if i put it the wrong way and i didnt mean to say that downriggers have rights over others. I was just making a statement that i believe in and that others may also beliveve in or beg to differ.

I personally believe that downrigging will not scare fish as nearly as much as banging anchor chains and ropes as we catch fish with downriggers so if thats the case why would it be scaring them. And also as stated earlier you can and do avoid others by watching their lines, ropes etc etc. We dont come through anchored or drifting boats without picking a path prior and staying aware of whats happening around us!

I have said my bit on this matter and i can safely get off my soap box and feel happy i have expressed my thoughts and views. If anyone has an issue out there on the water bring it up. I am sure that no normal person would wish to argue especially when we are all doing something we love!

Vince

Hey all, I am interested in peoples opinions here who fish the Harbour. I really, really do not want this post to denegrate into a free for all but hope it will be constructive. After working on Sydney Harbour for a number of years and after consulting some very well known fellow guides and anglers we are all of the opinion that the etiquette of many anglers this year has been very poor. With the number of internet fishing reports either showing photos of exact locations or posting exact fishing locations, its getting tight in many good fishing spots. With Pittwater being very heavily hit by the pro anglers many guys are heading South to the Harbour as well which adds to the crowds. The number of boats "dropping in" on other anglers and anchoring next to them with no consultation or consideration is disappointing. Add to that the almost farcical number of boats downrigging by doing circle work around other boats and it is getting out of hand. I understand that things can get awkward if there are crowds but the place is riddled with fish, so why do we need to fish in each others pockets? There are plenty more spots to try if someone is on a marker or structure. Sure, there's room for one or two on a marker or structure if you work together to avoid interference. ie if one is anchored or one is drifting at opposite sides.

If the harbour is not crowded and 20 markers are empty of boats why do people have to come and fish next to the only marker we are fishing????? Why do people anchor within a short cast of a boat drifting and casting flies and lures . If they hook a big king then the anchor rope presents a real target for the fish to bust them on.

Two days ago whilst casting a soft plastic a guy rocked up and downrigged over the very top of where it landed. After asking for some consideration the guy said "but your lures on the bottom isn't it?" Sure, it was and it was about to be worked in the very area his downrigger was. He then went on to downrigg and hang up on our anchor rope not once, but twice! I have one of his hooks as a souvenir.

I understand if people are new to the game and ignorant of the etiquette but maybe its time for us all to consider some etiquette guidelines such as those adopted in other countries for river fishing etc

I have had the pleasure of fishing a lot of this country and I know that the type of behaviour exhibited of late would be met by "shotguns" in many parts of the country. I understand its a populated city but it's a massive waterway. Shouldn't we start by trying to anchor no closer than 50 metres from others or at least asking the first anglers at a spot if they mind if you join them/fish beside them.

What do you guys think? Any similar experiences? Not interested in sledging individual boats/people, just generic info and suggestions so maybe we can help compile some guidelines to make the waterway a really friendly environment to fish.

JD

G'day Justin,

This subject has been discussed in another thread in "Fishing Chat"where I have just moved your post BTW.

(You had posted it in "Fishing Reports")

HERE is the thread I'm referring to and I think it best if your post is merged with that thread...I'll merge it shortly.

It's a contentious issue for sure with more and more fishos hitting the harbour.

I guess the bottom line is..be courteous to your fellow fisho and hopefully he will respond in kind.

If that's not the case..then take the higher ground, but never ever let violence come into the equation.

Cheers,

Pete.

Thanks Pete,

sorry, I did not see this thread before I posted so it appears that I am not alone with my concerns.

Another consideration for the downriggers too is that if you locate a patch of fish it's often far more productive to pull up the downrigger and drift. Downrigging is a wonderful fish locating tool but as a fishing technique once fish are located it is much more cumbersome. I'd rather have 3 rods out drifting than a couple of downrigger bombs and a couple of rods. I think we all get locked into a pattern at times. It was interesting to see how many more guys caught fish on slow drifts after the heavy rain compared to guys moving their baits faster in the dirty water.

JD

I know one thing, it definately NOT the right thing to try and run your downrigger between the anchored boats and the bridge pilons at Captain Cook.

Following the torrent of abuse and various pieces of bait and tackle that where hurled at him from six boats I dont think the bloke who gave it a go last year will do it again.

Mind you straight after re-rigging I did land a fish.

Dave

Here is my 2c worth

I mainly fish the Hawkesbury / Cowan area.

Lately I have been very lucky to get a few trips to the Harbour. Knocked out by the amount of fish.

I have to say I was really quite shocked at the boat behavior on the Harbour.

As JD said maybe there are blokes who have no idea and do some stupid things but I have seen a lot of blokes who know what they are doing pull their downriggers right through your "space" ( a few meters away) and you were there long before them. Conversely I have seen blokes downrigging an area for a while and then a few boats come in just drop anchor right in their fishing line.

The harbour seems to be a free for all and muscle in at all costs. Try that on the Hberry and you will cop some.

Now the sad part for me was - Ah well if you can't beat them join them. I found myself driving like a knob and doing stuff I would never normally do. This is a BAD mentality and not good for safety and enjoyment of the water.

I reckon there needs to be a system or an etiquette of some sort or things are going to get out of hand.

Here is an idea - How about we have bright (Dayglo) fishing flags "KINGISH", "Anchored", "Drifting", "Downrigging" or what ever that can be hoisted ( 0n a rod or ariel or outrigger ) and then this flag will let others know exactly what you are doing and to keep their distance - say 50m. Kind of same thing the divers have.

Very hard to police I know but if we don't do something about it we are going to sh%$#T on our own doorstep making what should be a great day out a very ordinary one.

I know in our little Jewie community on the Hawkesbury most of the blokes are very aware of the others and make sure they ask to anchor close by and usually most blokes are very co-operative. If they are not they soon get a few words of advice!

I think downrigging is the main cause of the problem.

I hope it's not too hectic on the social this weekend!!

As I said my 2c

cheers

inhlanzi