Narra

yakfishing

Jus a quick report.

Launched into the lake saturday morning around Middle creek into what looked like an endless stream of prawns, was kicking myself that I didnt have my bait net, but anyhoo. Drifted around pipeclay on the runup, there were heaps of bream but only managed 3 legal. One little fella - only 25cm gave a big run for his size pulling off a metre or two of line then promptly giving up. I wasnt picking up any flattys tho, and it was same last week, so I was scratching my head untill a big fat lizard jumped on a prawn as soon as it was in the water. I was a bit tense when I got him to the boat as it can be hard to keep pressure on and net him in the yak with a long leader (about 1.5 m). Not to mention I broke my net handle so its got even less reach now. But I took my time and got him in the yak my heart pounding as he was a new PB of 55cm. :yahoo: Im stoked I finally broke the 50 mark my last PB was 48cm

post-4457-1203857208_thumb.jpg

Edited by yakfishing

Good stuff on your new PB there Yak.

I was down at the lake myself on Saturday, managed a couple of just legal flatties, and my mate dropped a nice 50cm + speciman at our feet :ranting2: , all on live poddies...

Just out of interest, what sort of bait/ lure were you using?

Good stuff on your new PB there Yak.

I was down at the lake myself on Saturday, managed a couple of just legal flatties, and my mate dropped a nice 50cm + speciman at our feet :ranting2: , all on live poddies...

Just out of interest, what sort of bait/ lure were you using?

Drifting with the always reliable hawksbury river prawns, fresh ones from narra bait & tackle. I lost a huge one at the boat once, again on prawns.

Edited by yakfishing

Drifting with the always reliable hawksbury river prawns, fresh ones from narra bait & tackle. I lost a huge one at the boat once, again on prawns.

Do you ever use poddies? I made the switch from prawns to live poddies about 6 months ago and I've had great results ever since. I find their much less likely to get touched by the undersized bream, and all that I seem to catch now are flatties and GOOD sized bream. Well worth the little effort it takes to catch them. Still hanging to catch a croc though!

Do you ever use poddies? I made the switch from prawns to live poddies about 6 months ago and I've had great results ever since. I find their much less likely to get touched by the undersized bream, and all that I seem to catch now are flatties and GOOD sized bream. Well worth the little effort it takes to catch them. Still hanging to catch a croc though!

GOOD SIZED BREAM!! Youve got me interested now, but nah never used em before. Where are you finding the decent bream in the lake and what size is good? The biggest Ive managed to pull out of narra was 32cm, but most are either throwbacks or 25 - 27 cm, Ive been hanging for a BIG narra bream, not to mention a big croc too!

Edited by yakfishing

GOOD SIZED BREAM!! Youve got me interested now, but nah never used em before. Where are you finding the decent bream in the lake and what size is good? The biggest Ive managed to pull out of narra was 32cm, but most are either throwbacks or 25 - 27 cm, Ive been hanging for a BIG narra bream, not to mention a big croc too!

When I say good sized, I mean in the 27-35cm range (30cm is pretty good for the lake in my experience), but my best in the lake was 38cm. I'm sure you know how many undersized ones there are, not to mention toadies and other pickers, and I've found them to be rather frustrating as they're onto your bait so quick, it doesn't get much of chance to be taken by something decent. This is where the poddies have helped me, as they generally don't get touched by the juvies.

I do most of my fishing (landbased) from the sandbank opposite the boat ramp, casting into the deeper water of the channel, or pools either end. The slope/ drop-off into the deeper water has been very productive for me, but I find standing a good 10-20m back from the drop-off is better, so as not to spook the fish feeding in this productive area. I've caught a couple of decent flatties up near Deep Creek, and Pipeclay can be good also, but all the better bream I've caught (while targeting flatties mind you) have been from the boat ramp area.

I'm really no expert, but I've just been really chuffed with the improvement I've had since switching to poddies from fresh/frozen prawns.

Cheers, Geoff.

Thanks for the info Geoff, yeah 30cm is good for the lake and I'd be stoked with some around the 35 -38 mark. But Yeah I know all about undersized bream, I must have pulled in about 8 littlens for my 3 legal, could be time for a change but would have to make some mods to the yak to keep poddies. Im yet to experiment more with strips of steak as this holds up better against the pickers. My PB bream of 41cm from the harbour was on steak Id like to find out if the decent narra bream have the same taste.

Cheers mate.

Gday Hooked Up

I use two rods, put em in the right hand holders and drift sidelong. If you're game you could use a 3rd and flick plastics out in front of you but 2 rods are enough to handle for me and Ive got a big yak. You can take more out of course and switch depending on the fishing you are doing. I made up a 5 rod holder out of plumbing pipes that slots into the yaks two rear rod holders, you can see in my avatar. The Hobie fishing yaks (in my opinion) are the best for the job (tho pricey) mostly because they are the only ones with the foot peddle propulsion system and having your hands free and still being able to move is a huge advantage. I have an outback fisherman, theyre 80cm wide, so very stable. Yaks are perfect for the lake.

Edited by yakfishing