Older Johnno

Guest Jocool

I went along with a friend this afternoon for him to check out a boat he wants to buy. The hull itslf is an older Pongrass Waverider. Good solid hull, and it looks in good nick.

What confused me is that the outboard is stuck in gear! :1yikes: Starts and idles...but is constantly in gear. On further investigation, we learnt that it is an ELECTRONIC gearbox. No linkages to change gear. Very peculiar.

Any way....my question is this...Has anyone had or still has one of these motors? How do you find it? I think the motor itself is a mid 70's model, and has all the fruit...electric start T&T, forward controls...etc

Does anyone perhaps have the schematics for the gearbox switching??

There a funny setup those electronic boxes. Ive got OMC workshop manuals from about 1968 up to the mid 80's at home, ill have a look tonight and see if one of the manuals has this motor in it. Ill let you know ASAP.

Cheers

Hi Jocool, OMC engines of the late 70's and early 80's used electric shift gearboxes. They were a good design that get a bad rap. Main problem with them is dirty oil or glogged oil filter in gearbox. Also the solinoids in the gearbox can go on you and you will be stuck in gear. Problem with all engine brands of that age is that they are not really worth anything and to repair them cost more than the engine is worth. Also new parts are becoming dearer and less readily available

My suggestion to you is buy the boat for the value of boat and trailer only, put no value on the engine.

Regards,

Huey.

Thanks for your input Huey! :thumbup:

I kinda half heartedly diagnosed the problem when we looked at the boat to be the solinoid inside the box. I suggested to my mate that a lower price would be in order as the motor is not worth jack as it is.

If, however it is a simple enough process to change the offending part, I suggested he do so with an eye to changing the motor over the coming months and just keep going with it till the motor completely dies.

Jo I just checked my "collection" and found two possible manuals.

One is a 1972 Evinrude service manual for a Triumph 65hp. This model has the electric gearbox in it. Not sure if its exactly the same as yours but perhaps the system is the same.Its all in there anyway.Cant see there being too many different designs for this.

The other is a Johnson/Evinrude 1965 - 1974, 33 - 40 hp model book, it covers Ski-twin, Norseman, and Sea Horse models. No electric box in this manuel though, but I thought id mention it as its fron that vintage.

If you think one or both of these will help just let me know and your welcome to borrow them.

Cheers :thumbup:

Edited by Grantm

If you think one or both of these will help just let me know and your welcome to borrow them.

Cheers :thumbup:

27077[/snapback]

Its very kind of you Grant. And I will borrow them if my mate decides to get that boat! :thumbup: